Loss in an adopted newborn - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 08-17-2012, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Anyone have any great links/resources on this? 

Our son was born 7 weeks ago.  It was a c/s birth and I was in there for it.  Other than the dr. pulling him out and the nurse checking him out, I was the first one to really hold him.  I'm breastfeeding him exclusively. 

He just seems different than my girls did.  Extremely needy for human touch 24 hours a day.  He can be hard to console and only usually wants me, although he is warming up to my DH. 

I guess I just feel like there may be something going on his little mind and heart that are outside of the realm of just a higher needs baby. 

#2 of 9 Old 08-19-2012, 03:11 PM

Hi! I'm just starting to research adoption, so my response is not from that perspective, but from my experience with my oldest son. He was a high needs baby, and was just as you described. I've always attributed it partly to some stress during my pregnancy plus a very difficult labor/delivery (29+ hours of labor, 4.5 hours of pushing, delivery by forceps, etc). By contrast, my second pregnancy was calm and uneventful, as was the birth. 

So, I think he may well be transitioning from being in his birth mother's womb, but I'll bet that much of what is recommended for high needs children and/or older adopted children would apply (keeping him close, skin to skin contact if he tolerates it, establishing a comforting routine, and so on). 

GL!! 

Amanda and Dh, ds 09/00, ds 08/03, ds 10/05, and ds 05/08, and 3 :
#3 of 9 Old 08-20-2012, 08:35 AM

Hugs to you and your new baby.  I would reccomend the book Primal Wound- it may be a hard read at first but it is written by an adoptive mother... I can look for other book recommendations for you also.. but that one comes first to mind and one I am familiar with.

mdcblog5.gifsaynovax.giffambedsingle2.gifhomebirth.jpg

#4 of 9 Old 08-20-2012, 08:37 AM

http://www.reactiveattachmentdisordertreatment.com/ssi/article1.html

I am not big on the label RAD- but this could be a starting point for you.

mdcblog5.gifsaynovax.giffambedsingle2.gifhomebirth.jpg

#5 of 9 Old 12-15-2013, 10:28 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I honestly just think he's a higher needs baby- personally, I think the Primal Wound is B.S.  I am an adoptee, adopted at birth, and by nature was always an "easy" baby.  My brother, also adopted at birth, was a "higher needs" baby.  

I think you are trying to read too much into this- he is completely fine.  He's not reacting to being adopted, and you are doing a wonderful job.  I would NOT read books like the Primal Wound, which is based on junk science and junk psychology.  It may apply to SOME adoptees, or they may be able to later apply it to their lives, but it is NOT scientific and it is NOT something that applies to all over even most adoptees.  

To give you an example- my first son was an EASY baby.  Very easy.  My second son, VERY high needs.  They are both my biological children, and they just have different personalities.  That's all.  

So from the perspective of an adoptee, please don't go chalking up every difference to his being adopted, or else he will, too.  It's not anything to do with that, IMO.  He's just a high needs baby.  :)  

Mom to two beautiful boys, now in school to be a therapist and help other women with PPD.  

#6 of 9 Old 12-15-2013, 02:54 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

It would be an extreme rarity for an infant adopted at birth to have reactive attachment disorder (very scary link that pp posted). By definition, RAD is caused by pathological care for a significant period of time. A child placed at birth with an adoptive parent cannot really have had this experience. 

How is it going for you with this baby now?

mom0810 and marsupial-mom like this.

#7 of 9 Old 12-16-2013, 08:13 AM

Hugs, mama. I just want you to know that that clinginess is normal! Have you ever read about the fourth trimester? It's a theory that humans are born a little too early, because of our big heads, and that we need a few months to catch up developmentally to be ready for the world. In that time, many of us jut need extra comforts to remind us of the womb.

My daughter was born in a moderately stressful vaginal birth, but we had an idyllic relaxed time in the hours and days after the birth. She still needed 24/7 human contact until she was 2 or 3 mo.
Smithie and mom0810 like this.

Writing about life-long learning and discovery at: www.neoapprentice.com 

:: A neo-apprentice knows there are no true masters. 

25yo FTM to a Wiggle Panda diaper.gif, student teacher read.gif, newlywed love.gif 

#8 of 9 Old 12-23-2013, 01:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Lots of people struggle with the whole "is this adoption/trauma based behavior" or is this "normal childishness/development/disobedience stuff"?

I have taken to asking, "Does it matter? Will knowing cause me to parent/nurture or respond differently if I did know?" 

So far, I have never found it would... Just a bit of perspective...

Marci

knit.gif

Married to my best friend, homeschooling, gardening,

running a camp for at-risk kiddos and walking a narrow path.

Mom to an amazingly fun crew of 5!

hearts.gifafro.jpg  wave.gif   thumbsuck.gif     boc.gif 

#9 of 9 Old 12-31-2013, 04:47 PM

Hugs; it's hard when you feel like your baby is needing something and you don't know what or why. Adoptive parenting adds a whole other level of uncertainty to the already complicated buisness of raising a child. Keep in mind the vast number of adopted children who are raised by loving parents have happy childhoods and grow up to be happy adults. We can't always protect them from every pain but we can't offer this protection to our bio children either.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page