Adoption agencies that are ok with us conceiving while adopting? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 09-02-2012, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DH and I have always wanted to adopt, though we'd intended to experience birth first.  After trying for 5 years, we've decided to continue TTC, but also go ahead and start the adoption process.  I want to choose an agency wisely, so I'd love to gather as many agencies as possible to compare.  If you know of any such agencies, please let me know, and I'll look into them. 

Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 09-02-2012, 09:11 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)

I can't recommend specific agencies but I do know that conception is fairly common in the midst of adoption. I'm sure others will chime in to recommend agencies that have been o.k. with this.

#3 of 7 Old 09-03-2012, 09:13 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

It depends where you live. In our province if you get pregnant you are taken off the list, and you cant go back on the list until the baby is 9 months old. All agencies here work that way for domestic adoption. It may be different if you adopt through foster care, or have an international adoption. 

Me(33), Mama to a crazy DD (6), Wife to a wonderful mountain man(32) BF my babe for 2 years
#4 of 7 Old 09-04-2012, 06:13 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrayinFor12 View Post

DH and I have always wanted to adopt, though we'd intended to experience birth first.  After trying for 5 years, we've decided to continue TTC, but also go ahead and start the adoption process.

We were basically in the same situation. If you're 100% fine with adoption and don't think of it as a back-up plan then I think it's fine to do both simultaneously. If you adopt from fostercare it probably won't be a problem. They just don't want two or more infants in the home at once so that could limit you a little. But if you're open to older children it won't be an issue.
#5 of 7 Old 09-04-2012, 10:32 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by marsupial-mom View Post

We were basically in the same situation. If you're 100% fine with adoption and don't think of it as a back-up plan then I think it's fine to do both simultaneously. If you adopt from fostercare it probably won't be a problem. They just don't want two or more infants in the home at once so that could limit you a little. But if you're open to older children it won't be an issue.

Where i am you can have two infants in the home (i THINK the guidelines are no more than two under 1 and no more than three under three or something...but i forget)...my friends had an adopted 2 yr old, an adopted 1 yr old and a foster 1 yr old (or something similar.) This all probably varies widely by location.

Katherine, single homeschooling mom to Boy Genius (17) geek.gif  Thing One (6) and Thing Two (6) fencing.gif and one outgoing Girl (12) bikenew.gif and hoping for more through foster care and adoption homebirth.jpgadoptionheart-1.gif 
#6 of 7 Old 09-07-2012, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the help and encouragement! 

We've been looking into international adoption.  (Sorry I forgot to mention it.) 

Does it happen that you know of an agency name though?

#7 of 7 Old 09-07-2012, 01:32 PM

I can highly recommend http://www.adoptionadvocates.org/  for international adoption.  We are traveling to get our daughter very soon.  Message me if you have any questions.

Homeschooling Momma to DD 8 years old, DS 7 years old, DS born 03/11 by adoptionheart-1.gif , waiting for DD born 07/10 and two furry labs. Wife to my wonderful husband of 12 years.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page