Foster a young girl from Afghanistan - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 11-06-2012, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My family is considering fostering a nine-year old girl from Afghanistan, who will be coming to the US to go to school.  She is from a small village, in which she is the only person who has learned to read and write.  We have two young children, aged 4 and almost 2.  We are excited, but nervous.  We have never fostered before, and would appreciate any advice about fostering foreign children, specifically from Muslim families, as keeping her religious identity is very important to her family.

Thanks in advance,

Emily

Partner to one: '08  Mama to three: '08, '11, '13  homebirth.jpgintactlact.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 11-06-2012, 09:28 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Sounds like a foreign exchange more than fostering. Perhaps try a board about foreign exchange for more advice?

As far as religion goes, just try to find a mosque near you and tell them about the situation to see if she could attend services and so forth. Find out the schedule so you can work out transportation.

You may also want to read up a bit about Muslim dietary restrictions so that you can accomodate her meals.

#3 of 6 Old 11-06-2012, 12:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Is this through a specific organization? Are there other girls coming with her to be fostered/hosted in your area? I would like to think they have lots of training and resources available to help you.

Yes, def. find a mosque in your area, im betting they would be more than happy to help you meet her cultural needs.

Katherine, single homeschooling mom to Boy Genius (17) geek.gif  Thing One (6) and Thing Two (6) fencing.gif and one outgoing Girl (12) bikenew.gif and hoping for more through foster care and adoption homebirth.jpgadoptionheart-1.gif 
#4 of 6 Old 11-07-2012, 06:40 AM

Wow, I am interested in this program.  We had a Muslim foreign exchange student through the YES program run by the State Department. She was from Kosovo, and it was one of the best experiences of my life.  Originally we were going to get a boy from Afghanistan, but his visa fell through.  We still Skype at least once a week and feel very close to her.  How long will you have this student?

The dietary restrictions were not that difficult for us, though our student only avoided pork.

Wife to Joe and Mama to Rosie, 6/28/06, Jack, 10/25/08 and JoJo 3/18/10.
#5 of 6 Old 11-08-2012, 08:13 AM

I was just browsing through this forum, our family is starting the process of getting licensed for foster care. Thought I'd chime in although I'm not familiar with your area. 

Not all mosques are overly friendly, depending on the cultural background of the community. Even myself as a Muslim, I can walk into a mosque where everyone smiles and welcomes and I feel at home regardless of my background, and other places where no one smiles or notices except if I happen to do something wrong, partly because they are not used to dealing with people of other ethnicities. It's unfortunate, but Muslims are by no means monolithic just like any other faith. Is there a large university close to you? I'd suggest getting in touch with a Muslim chaplain at the nearest university (if there is one) and he/she may be able to direct you to the more vibrant community mosques in your area. 

Congregational services (Jumuah prayer) are always offered on Friday early afternoons, and a lot of high schools and community colleges have prayers on-site for students. You can also drop in any mosque during any of the five daily prayers--just to get a feel for what the people are like. A child from Afghanistan may never have met a Muslim who was *not* from Afghanistan, so a typical American mosque with people from overwhelmingly different backgrounds may also be a completely new experience for her.

#6 of 6 Old 11-08-2012, 09:04 PM

Location: dining at the restaurant at the end of the universe
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)

Does she speak English? Do you share any language with her? I would think the language would be the first and most urgent hurdle to address. Kudos to you for considering the religious and dietary differences, but I think if I were a little kid leaving my family and culture, communication would be the most important bridge.

Rhu - mother,grandmother,daughter,sister,friend-foster,adoptive,and biological;not necessarily in that order. Some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way (Jimmy Buffet)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page