Holding food in mouth... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 11-07-2012, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Basically, not sure how to parent or help our little one who has started up holding food I her mouth again. She did this one coming in to our care, and one and off for several months afterward, at about age one. Now she started again, but at every single meal. We've been home almost exactly a year, and I think she is feeling those old feelings of needing control... But my issue is that she eats one bite and won't swallow, and holds it.
Help me think around this... eat.gif

Marci

knit.gif

Married to my best friend, homeschooling, gardening,

running a camp for at-risk kiddos and walking a narrow path.

Mom to an amazingly fun crew of 5!

hearts.gifafro.jpg  wave.gif   thumbsuck.gif     boc.gif 

#2 of 17 Old 11-07-2012, 01:44 PM

That's tricky.  What things worked in the past?  Is she taking in enough nutritionally otherwise?  Have you tried smoothies and such to help supplement calories while you work through it?

Elizabeth - Doing life with Scott partners.gif

SAHM to Evelyn - my crazy little Celiac (4) energy.gif Annabelle (2)  love.gif and Abraham (born 6/20) buddamomimg1.png
adoptionheart-1.gif  Follow our journey  mdcblog5.gif

#3 of 17 Old 11-07-2012, 01:48 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

How old is she?

#4 of 17 Old 11-07-2012, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter

She will be two in January.
Last time she as drinking far more milk because she was only 10 months old when she came into our family... And by about one year she had almost stopped doing it. Mainly I would just offer her milk and call feeding time over. Now she only has milk at two meals and she is far more active and since she has started the boycott she looks thinner to me.

I was thinking today that she only does it when I try to feed her, not when she self feeds, which might be a simple solution, but also leaves me wondering and concerned about what that says about our attachment.

Oddly just a month ago I wrote this post on my blog about how amazing things were going, how natural and good things were between us.

Now she seems to be pulling away, using some controlling behaviors... Would you chalk that up to testing?

Makes me sad. I thought things were all gone...but I guess not. greensad.gif

Marci

knit.gif

#5 of 17 Old 11-10-2012, 05:36 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

One possible thought is that she is entering a brand new developmental phase, where basically everything does have to be re-worked again. At two, there is all that renegotiating around control--potty learning, eating, sleeping. Could you say a little more about the routines of feeding? You mentioned that it only happens when you are feeding her. Since she is almost two, I am curious to know what this looks like. Many almost two's are eating mostly independently, so perhaps you are doing some attachment based interventions around feeding? Just trying to understand better what's part of it!

#6 of 17 Old 11-10-2012, 09:44 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

It could be more sensory than emotional.  Read up on sensory integration/ sensory processing disorder. 

bellyhair.giftreehugger.gif     coolshine.gif      greenthumb.gif     read.gif
#7 of 17 Old 11-10-2012, 10:17 PM - Thread Starter

I let her feed herself finger foods, things she can manage on a spoon or fork... etc...

I mainly feed her only things like soup, or things that might make a mess. But I DO probably spoon feed her more at this age than any other child because I think it might be good for her to know that I am the mama and food comes from me and to make eye contact and such. I just think being a baby a tad longer... or with out any insistance from me is probably the best thing for her.

Honestly today I got to thinking the same thing about growth spurts... new developmental phases... she has taken off in the last 3 or so days verbally. She said to me tonight, "Mom. When dad come back?" (he is visiting his parents and helping them move.) and is rattling off all these long statements I have yet to figure out what she is saying. When I rocked and sang to her tonight before bed she sang nearly all of the two songs I usually sing to her and said almost all the words to "pat-a-cake".

I do think there has got to be some connection to the fact that it was a year ago the end of October that we went to bring her home...

I don't think it is a sensory issue at all... mainly because she had it a year ago... (I wondered if it was then based upon texture or sensory issues)... then it went away quite suddenly... was gone for about 9 months and then reappeared. She has never held food in the last 9 months.

Marci

knit.gif

#8 of 17 Old 11-10-2012, 10:20 PM - Thread Starter

Oh and she actually hasn't done it in about 3 or 4 days!!! Yay!

I am hopeful, but not holding my breath...

Marci

knit.gif

#9 of 17 Old 11-11-2012, 12:53 PM

If it happens again: If you go with the thinking that it is related somehow to anniversary issues and/or anxiety, along with developmental pushes, I wonder what would happen if you verbally gave her 'permission' to hold onto her food as long as she needs to so she feels safe that she has "enough" and that you will love her through it, however long it might last. So if she was allowed to do it with your 'blessings' perhaps she would then lose the need or compulsion to do it. Just thinking out loud!

#10 of 17 Old 11-13-2012, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Lauren... that is a good thought.

She has continued to NOT hold food!!! Yay!

Smithie likes this.

Marci

knit.gif

#11 of 17 Old 02-07-2013, 11:52 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I literally just finished listening to a webinar about feeding children with difficult issues who were adopted. If I had to summarize the hour-long presentation in to one sentence, it would be to let the child decide how to eat. The presenter talked a lot about avoiding power struggles that some parents fall into when they try to correct a child's feeding behavior or set limits.

From my own experience, I agree. It sounds like your little one has been with you about a year and a half. That's a very short time, as you know. I would guess your child had some past food insecurity before coming to you.

I've also experienced a child with a difficult past who showed it with feeding issues. At one point he was diagnosed with oral feeding aversion, and the term infantile anorexia was also thrown out there (which scared the crap out of me). My son is almost 5 years old, and he joined our family when he was almost 3. We could tell immediately there was a malnutrition issue, because he threw huge, self-injurious tantrums if his sippy cup was not full of whole milk or was out of his hand. I read tips online about how to handle food insecurity and did everything I could, such as keeping good in sight at all times and always keeping his cup full so he could learn he would never be hungry at our house. For the first month or more, he binged and purged. He ate more than the adults fist by fist, then he'd stick his finger down his throat and vomit profusely. Good times. For the next year, he survived on his sippy cup of whole milk. We rejoiced if he ate a single piece of popcorn or a Dorito in a week. We kept bringing him to the table for meals and snacks. Now, after almost two years with us, he eats at least two meals and a snack almost every day. The quantity of food he takes in is low and the variety is poor, but he has come so far. He gradually got to the point that he doesn't always have to have his sippy cup even in the room anymore, and sometimes he'll accept juice or even water. All throughout this, I searched and searched for help. Pediatricians, neurologists, dietitians, nurses, an occupational therapist, mental health workers — all were perplexed, would try to throw out a tip or two we had already tried, and basically said to keep doing what we were doing because we were at least moving in the right direction. We still have a long way to go, but I'm glad we decided to take it slowly and let him take the lead. While holding food in his mouth isn't one of his behaviors, he does still have many food behaviors that could be perceived as problematic. Now that we can see he needs time and to be in charge of how he eats, we're going to continue to give him that. It sure is hard though!

I guess my bottom line advice would be to let her hold the food. She must need to do this right now. My son reverts in his behaviors when he's learning something new or when there is extra stress in the house (i.e., almost always). As annoying, disturbing and even disgusting as it might be to us adults, it might bring her a small bit of comfort to know that food is there. The expert on the webinar said that for children like ours, feeding the heart is more important right now than feeding the body.

Raising and educating free-range kids in our farmhouse at the maple woods. In March, find us in the sugarbush making pure maple syrup.

1 me + 1 hubby + 4 kids + 5 goats + 3 pigs + 3 dozen chickens + 6 ducks = 1 crazy place
#12 of 17 Old 02-07-2013, 06:26 PM

IC, any chance you can link us to the webinar you watched? It sounds good.

#13 of 17 Old 02-08-2013, 08:24 AM

Location: dining at the restaurant at the end of the universe
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

I just want to add that kids can thrive on amazingly limited diets. My YoungSon really ate nothing but popcorn, milk, Reese's candy, and gummi vitamins from the time he was weaned until he was around 7. Then, after a minor choking incident, he but himself on a clear liquid diet: strained homemade broth and apple juice. He was thin but entirely healthy. No therapy, nagging, or intervention had any impact. One day, he suddenly ate a meal, and that was the end of that chapter. Today, he is 16, 6 feet tall, still thin but ridiculously healthy. And he still loves popcorn, but eats a full, normal diet.

Rhu - mother,grandmother,daughter,sister,friend-foster,adoptive,and biological;not necessarily in that order. Some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way (Jimmy Buffet)

#14 of 17 Old 02-08-2013, 03:33 PM

I can't seem to find the webinar archive, but the presenter was Katja Rowell, MD. She has info on her web site.

Raising and educating free-range kids in our farmhouse at the maple woods. In March, find us in the sugarbush making pure maple syrup.

1 me + 1 hubby + 4 kids + 5 goats + 3 pigs + 3 dozen chickens + 6 ducks = 1 crazy place
#15 of 17 Old 02-10-2013, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IncompetentHousewife View Post

I can't seem to find the webinar archive, but the presenter was Katja Rowell, MD. She has info on her web site.

Thanks! I'll look that up.

#16 of 17 Old 02-14-2013, 09:51 AM

I don't know if this would be an issue with your daughter, but with our older adopted child she was literally starving when we got her (at age 6 she weighed 23 pounds).  She used to keep food in her mouth to "store" it.  We started leaving food in her room, making sure she always had something to eat in her pocket, etc.  Knowing she had something to eat if she wanted it let her eat normally during meals.  She likes to walk around with a granola bar in her hand although she rarely eats it.

#17 of 17 Old 05-13-2013, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter

It has been some time, but wanted to let you all know that she rarely does it any more, but will bring it out again when she seems emotionally upset or around "anniversaries". It has worked to ignore it or treat it matter of factly and to give her the option to spit it out. Some of it seems sort of related to not liking what she is given or to the texure, but then other times she eats that item with out problem. 

Marci

knit.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page