Don't know what to do with 16 month old - Page 4 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#91 of 99 Old 05-01-2013, 06:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We just did a does of MOM with Exlax (for an eight year old).  Yikes! That was intense....

#92 of 99 Old 05-01-2013, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Well, at least you know it's working! :)

We just had a, uh, productive evening. Maybe it's just taking longer to work for him for some reason. I called the doctor and he is also puzzled as to why we didn't get a massive outpouring right away. I just hope we can fix his gut. This is disgusting, and it's not much fun for him, either. I'm trying to keep my sense of humor about it, but at the same time, he is just so little to be having such problems.

#93 of 99 Old 05-06-2013, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

Well, now he's 20 months, and needs his adenoids removed...
Anyone have any other great, fun, creative ways to torture this child?
We've done restricted diet, feeding schedule, blood work, laxatives, x-rays, burning diaper rash, and oh yeah my personal favorite that started it all, drug addiction. What else can we put him through before he turns 2?

We have a follow up with the GI doc on Wednesday. I'm praying he won't have any more invasive things to do to him.

Meantime, any ideas of what to expect with the surgery?
#94 of 99 Old 05-06-2013, 07:27 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

I'm so sorry, for both of you. hug2.gif

I don't know much of anything about the surgery he "needs."  Didn't they once take adenoids when thye took out tonsils?  I still have my tonsils so I believe I still have my adenoids.  Maybe google "alternatives to adenoid removal?" I'm wondering if this is a left over procedure?

I could be completely wrong so please realzie that.  It's obvious you are quiet worried about him & like you said, he's been through so much in his very, very short life.  Poor baby.  

Know anyone who could pump some breastmilk for him?  Just a thought as I was typing the previous line.  It'd have to be free of whatever he is off of though, or it'd be like giving him what he's off of.  Foodlab may be a place to find that, if you decide you want it.  There's also the informal milk sharing networks, but I'm not at all familiar w/ those.

On gut healing: I know of a few ways: GAPS, BED (Body Ecology Diet) - but I don't really buy this one because it's pretty grain heavy & it is very difficult & expensive, if it's possible, to find grains that aren't cross contaminated w/ other stuff like gluten & corn :-(.  There's also a candida cleansing program by a Dr. McComb that I have done almost no research on other than reading his website: http://www.candidaplan.com/new/the_plan/  There is another book I'm planning to get about pH (I know from personal exeprience that if I'm too acidic in certain places/ways, candida issues flare & my mouth gets more unhealthy) called The pH Miracle but I'm not sure I buy the premise.  I'll have to read the book.

None of this is easy & while you're trying to figure out helping him, life goes on.  It's tough.  Very tough.  I'm right there w/ you.  I'm pulling for you both. heartbeat.gif

Best wishes,

Sus

Baby the babies while they're babies so they don't need babying for a lifetime.
#95 of 99 Old 05-09-2013, 06:25 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mama24-7 View Post

I'm so sorry, for both of you. hug2.gif

I don't know much of anything about the surgery he "needs."  

I just wanted to add that I think a more useful question for a child with multiple issues "Does the surgery need to be done now?  What are the benefits of the surgery?"

If this surgery could potentially solve some other problems and make your some more comfortable in the long run, sooner is better.  If not, maybe waiting is a better option.

#96 of 99 Old 05-09-2013, 07:02 AM - Thread Starter

I asked him that, and basically the answer is that the enlarged adenoids could be the reason he is having trouble sleeping, among other things (weird breathing, sinus congestion, drooling). He said they are huge and that the only other option is to try a saline spray (which he probably wouldn't tolerate), and that he's not impressed with the results he's seen. Basically, he feels it's not worth it to try b/c it doesn't work most of the time. Both he and the speech therapist who suggested I get them checked said that especially in a kid with neurological issues and basically "brain damage" from the in utero exposure, interrupted sleep can affect his neurological development and contribute to behavioral issues and learning issues later on. Which we've been told he is likely to have anyway.... So if we can get it done sooner, his brain has more time to develop more "normally"and possibly help him overcome some of his issues.

I'm just glad the procedure is quick, and he won't be under long.

The kicker is that we went to the GI for followup yesterday and HE wants to do an endoscopy. ARGH. That one, we're postponing. We talked more yesterday afternoon and he feels it's okay to wait and see if we can get his insides cleaned out first. We're going the Miralax route this time since the Milk of Magnesia didn't do anything for him.

#97 of 99 Old 05-11-2013, 05:09 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

OP I just wanted to reassure you that even though a lot of this is about nutrition and gut issues, I do think all of this is interwoven with your need to support him and help him feel attached and secure with you, even in the midst of these great physical challenges. The physical issues are to some extent getting in the way of the more 'normal' experience this little guy badly needs, so I think you are appropriate in Adoptive/Foster parenting. Feel free to cross post in other areas as well though!

#98 of 99 Old 05-11-2013, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, Lauren. I have been constantly thinking about how this all started with how to approach his nighttime issues and how that affects attachment and bonding, but the whole thing has snowballed. I did post a few things in other more topic-specific forums, but his issues seem to all be associated with his in utero exposure/addiction, which seems more appropriate here.

I do appreciate everyone's input and support, and patience as this thread has meandered far away from its original question.... (Which, BTW, he has all but stopped waking up in the middle of the night!)

#99 of 99 Old 05-11-2013, 08:12 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by swd12422 View Post

I do appreciate everyone's input and support, and patience as this thread has meandered far away from its original question.... (Which, BTW, he has all but stopped waking up in the middle of the night!)

That is so wonderful to hear!! (the nighttime stuff)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page