when im 18 can i adopt my 13 yr old sister - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 01-23-2013, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

im 15 yrs old and my lil sis is 10 and our lifes are pretty messed up!!!!!!!!!! our mom is into drugs and doin bad things!!!!!! my sisters dad left and signed over his rights along time ago! and my dad just isnt in my life! recently i moved to iowa wit my grandparents. but i found out that my mom got a divorce and that my sis was gonna live wit her but then my mom ended up not wanting her and so now she lives in utah wit my gma. mt gma is gettin pretty old and my sis is alot to take care of. so my question is when i turn eighteen can i adopt my 13 year old sister. i just want her to have a child hood and have a good life

#2 of 4 Old 01-23-2013, 09:42 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

In Canada you can. I am not sure about your state. All you need to do is have a safe place to live. Are you able to live with your gma, and help her with rent and bills instead, when you turn 18? That may benefit everyone. Most seniors have a limited income, so anything extra is good and you can help raise your sister there. 

You are such a thoughtful sister. She is lucky to have you. Its a huge responsibilty so if you have someone to help you, that is all the better. 

deborahbgkelly likes this.

Me(33), Mama to a crazy DD (6), Wife to a wonderful mountain man(32) BF my babe for 2 years.
#3 of 4 Old 01-24-2013, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

i live in utah. i em able to live wit her but she is getting kinda old and i worry she wont be here much longer

#4 of 4 Old 01-28-2013, 10:42 PM

Location: dining at the restaurant at the end of the universe
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Is there anyone helping you and your grandmother? Case workers, family, agencies, church support? I wonder if someone could help you learn about laws and support in your area.

Your sister is so lucky to have a caring sister like you. For now, just being in touch with her, letting her know you love her, is a great support.

deborahbgkelly likes this.

Rhu - mother,grandmother,daughter,sister,friend-foster,adoptive,and biological;not necessarily in that order. Some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way (Jimmy Buffet)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page