Hosting an Eastern European Orphan - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 03-06-2013, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Has anyone else here ever hosted an orphan from an Eastern European country?  We've hosted twice now, both times from Ukraine.  

They are matching up kids for this summer right now and there are TONS of sweet kids on the photo listing.  You can see the listing and get more info here.

This is the program we hosted with.  Children's Cultural Connection 

http://hostukraine.wix.com/ccc

Some people mistakenly think this is just trying out kids for adoption, but it's not at all like that.  Some kids are not available for adoption due to age or other factors, some don't want to be adopted because they have family ties, and some will be available for adoption now or in the future.  They don't typically tell you the adoption status of the kids before you host them, except for the ones who will be over 16 and not allowed to be adopted by law. You're instructed not to discuss adoption with them while they are here, though older kids may bring it up.

The kids are told they're going on vacation to America, the same way they sometimes go on vacation to special camps within Ukraine, and they understand that every kid will be going back to Ukraine at the end of the trip.  They get to experience life in a normal family.  Spend a few weeks eating quality food, being loved on, and making happy memories.  It's a break from their every day lives in the orphanage and a chance to boost their self esteem.  It's really life changing for these kids, and also for the host families!  I know our family will never be the same and our kids definitely have learned a lot.

We've hosted one little girl with special needs last summer who wasn't available for adoption, and then a healthy/typical little boy who is now being adopted by a family we met while he was here over Christmas break.  We've had the pleasure of getting to know other host families and adoptive families from all over the country and seeing the relationships with their host kids and adoptive kids blossom.  Many people keep in touch with their host kids forever even if they aren't adopting by sending letters, emails, and packages. The kids proudly show off the pictures of their family in America once they're back in Ukraine.  It makes all the difference in their lives just knowing someone out there cares about them.

If you're interested in hosting I'd be glad to answer any questions!  

Momma to Sweet Rosie 7/06, Lost Baby J 1/09 at 12 weeks pregnant, Spitfire Ada born 4/21/10, and Baby Boy due July/August 2013!
Aspiring urban homesteader, photographer, homeschooling momma! Blog link in my profile. 

#2 of 4 Old 03-08-2013, 06:45 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Sounds interesting. How do the kids feel about it? Do they have any type of unexpressed hope that they will be adopted through this experience?

#3 of 4 Old 03-08-2013, 07:47 PM

The video on the website made my heart break. Its so wonderful that there are programmes like this out there. If I ever get the chance I would love to participate. Thank you so much for sharing. Your blog post on this was also very interesting and heart-warming.

#4 of 4 Old 03-18-2013, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter

The kids love being hosted and all beg to be chosen. Of course many of them want to be adopted, but mostly they just love to see life outside the orphanage and to have an attentive parent paying attention to them for a few weeks.

Momma to Sweet Rosie 7/06, Lost Baby J 1/09 at 12 weeks pregnant, Spitfire Ada born 4/21/10, and Baby Boy due July/August 2013!
Aspiring urban homesteader, photographer, homeschooling momma! Blog link in my profile. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page