Looking for book ideas for children, what are your kids favorites? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 03-31-2013, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My 7 yr old daughters favorite adoption themed books are sweet moon baby and the red thread, even though they are both more relevant to international adoption and she was adopted domestically. I think she must like the whimsical/fairy tale theme to both of them.

I like to have a few adoption fiction story books for my kids to look at when they want to, so I was wondering what are some of everyone else's kids favorites? Does anyone have recommendations with books that have a similar feel?

I am also looking for something for my now toddler that has some open adoption in the story, does anyone know of any? I like the gentle explanation of abandonment issues in sweet moon baby, if anyone has any other book recommendations like that it would be a plus too :)

I know there is a resource list with tons of books, but I don't have time to read reviews on all of them and then request them from the library to pre-read before buying :)

Thanks!

Proud mom of three!  Special needs teen princess wheelchair.gif , 7 year old happy girl modifiedartist.gif , and my flower toddlerhearts.gif

#2 of 8 Old 03-31-2013, 06:51 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

I like A Mother for Choco. Also the Bean Seed by Judith Fox and Robert Spottswood. I like how the Runaway Bunny can be used as an adoption book.

#3 of 8 Old 04-02-2013, 10:35 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I also like A Mother For Choco.
And Rosie's Story.
We have a few others but none of those are favorites yet.
#4 of 8 Old 04-02-2013, 11:37 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

My adopted son LOVES "Crow and Hawk:" http://www.amazon.com/Crow-Hawk-Traditional-Pueblo-Indian/dp/1858911435/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1364927682&sr=8-1&keywords=crow+and+hawk

It's a book that we got through the K12 program when I was homeschooling, and I find it very sad, but he does not find it so. I think it shores up his notion that what happened to him (having a mother who couldn't pull herself together to parent and ultimately lost custody) is not some freak event, but a common thread in human society. 

#5 of 8 Old 04-02-2013, 09:14 PM - Thread Starter

It seems more difficult to find books that are based on domestic adoption. I have come across many books aimed towards families with daughters from China, and they have mostly been lovely books, but they are not relevant to our story at all. Even the domestic adoption books tend to talk about flying far away to get the child or describe details I would rather keep vague (since we don't know them) like using birthmothers age or poverty as a reason for placement.

Proud mom of three!  Special needs teen princess wheelchair.gif , 7 year old happy girl modifiedartist.gif , and my flower toddlerhearts.gif

#6 of 8 Old 04-02-2013, 10:02 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

How I was adopted by Joanna Cole (who wrote the magic schoolbus) http://www.amazon.com/How-Was-Adopted-Mulberry-Books/dp/0688170552/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1364964839&sr=1-1&keywords=how+i+was+adopted

Domestic newborn adoption of white baby girl. 

"Before I was adopted, I was born. Daddy and Mommy told me how babies are born....Many children stay with the woman who gave birth to them. Some children do not. Some children need to be adopted the way Mommy and Daddy adopted me. I did not grow inside Mommy's uterus. I grew in another woman's  uterus. Some special things about me were there when I was born--my blue eyes, my curly hair, the freckle on my knee, and my being a girl! The rest of me---what I know, how I talk, the jokes I like, the things I can do---Came from just being me and growing up in my family."

Mainly this book talks about the little girl and her parents and her life. There are a couple pages how her parents wanted to adopt and one day they got a phone call about a week old baby and how excited they were and what they did to take care of the baby.

Nice book. We haven't read it in awhile. I should probably read it to my daughter some time soon.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#7 of 8 Old 04-03-2013, 09:44 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Well, you can hardly get more domestic-adoption focused than "Crow and Hawk." It's a Native American folktale winky.gif

#8 of 8 Old 04-07-2013, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

I've been requesting a ton of books from the library to preview first and decide what I want to own. There seems to be a ton of books for children born in China, and my daughter does like most of them (star of the week and motherbridge of love) but I wanted more appropriate books for her situation.

I actually really liked the mulberry bird by Anne Braff Brodzinsky; it is not a happy feel good book but I thought still a good read and worth having on the shelf. I'm still exploring books I like and I will report back as I find more :)

Tags
Adoption , Childrens Books

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page