Nia Vardalos "Instant Adoption" - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 04-11-2013, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Nia, of My Big Fat Greek Wedding fame, is an adoptive parent and she writes about adopting from the foster care system. I'lm on the fence about buying it after hearing her speak. Has anyone read her book yet?

afro.jpg TTA #1 through the Foster Care system

10/12 - Orientation

10/12 - Accepted into Foster Family Agency

02/13 - Finished the paperchase
03/13 - Homestudy completed
03/13 - Matching phase

#2 of 16 Old 04-11-2013, 11:22 AM

I haven't, but that is neat that she did that. If you buy it, let us know how it is.

Mama to my twin butterfly boys, Alan and Bruce, who passed away at 22 weeks gestation (3/24/12): Forever in Our Hearts. Our rainbow baby girl, my little bud of Hope,  joined our butterfly boys and Grandma Jan 1/31/13 at 9 weeks gestation. Love you so much. Next step: triadadopt.jpg
#3 of 16 Old 04-11-2013, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter

If I can get it for under 10 bucks I'll probably read it. Will keep you posted.

10/12 - Orientation

03/13 - Matching phase

#4 of 16 Old 04-12-2013, 11:16 AM

Here is an interview with her.  I was not impressed.  She seems fairly clueless about foster care adoption.

http://www.creatingafamily.org/radioplayer.html?file_name=Nia-Vardalos-Interview.mp3&year=2013%20&day=April%2010:&title=Interview%20with%20actress%20Nia%20Vardalos

#5 of 16 Old 04-12-2013, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter

Zombie, that's the same podcast I listened to the put me on the fence about buying the book. I wasn't sure if Nia was just trying to remain positive or if she was a bit ditzy on the subject. Of course everyone's experience is different but she must appreciate that her family's adoption situation was unique.

10/12 - Orientation

03/13 - Matching phase

#6 of 16 Old 04-15-2013, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter

I spent $12 for this book and want $15 back, three extra dollars for each hour it took me to read this book!
I don't know if Nia tries to be irreverant but it seems that she comes off hard trying to be funny. I've only seen one of her movies and that was sometime ago so I don't remember her writing style. I scanned most of the chapter which documented her rise to fame. It was boring and full of name-dropping. When she finally gets to the fost/adopt I think she is writing a movie. At least it feels like fiction, or maybe a case of mis-remembering. Or maybe the girl in Spain and the first time she met her daughter really did go that way but it feels so false. I love a book called Expecting Adam which is full of incredibleness but it rings true and solid. I didn't get that from Nia.

What I learned from this book is: Nia is Greek, Nia is Canadian, Greeks are funny, foster care is full of children who have been voluntarily relinquished by loving and caring parents., Nia is Greek, Nia is ethnic, Nia knows famous people and likes to write their full names throughout the book, Nia is Greek, Nia is famous but not like "those people". Nia is fat/skinny. Nia likes the humblebrag. Nia is Greek.

I didn't learn anything from this book. I didn't feel inspired or excited after I finished this book. I was left confused as to why she wrote the book and how she thinks this will relate to regular, non-famous people. I was also confused as to how she had a dossier on her daughter and knew she was relinquished by loving parents due to a divorce but Nia doesn't know her daughter's ethnicity. Oh well, she's funny and brassy so she's Greek like Nia.

I'd be interested to hear any one else's opinion. Maybe I'll even reread the book after I have my placement and it will read differently next time.

10/12 - Orientation

03/13 - Matching phase

#7 of 16 Old 04-15-2013, 10:32 AM

Thank you for the review. I won't waste my money. There are many really good books on adoption out there.

Newbian Mama likes this.

Mama to my twin butterfly boys, Alan and Bruce, who passed away at 22 weeks gestation (3/24/12): Forever in Our Hearts. Our rainbow baby girl, my little bud of Hope,  joined our butterfly boys and Grandma Jan 1/31/13 at 9 weeks gestation. Love you so much. Next step: triadadopt.jpg
#8 of 16 Old 04-15-2013, 10:32 AM

Thank you for the review. I won't waste my money. There are many really good books on adoption out there.

#9 of 16 Old 04-16-2013, 09:59 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
I listened to all but the last 15 minutes of the podcast. Her foster care adoption was nothing like either of mine,but I would like to read what she has to say.
#10 of 16 Old 04-16-2013, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter

It'll be interesting to read your review, Polliwog. Everyone else is raving over it so it seems I'm the only one who didn't like it.

10/12 - Orientation

03/13 - Matching phase

#11 of 16 Old 04-16-2013, 06:19 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
I'm hoping to check it out tomorrow at the book store.
#12 of 16 Old 04-24-2013, 05:19 PM

I didn't get a good vibe from the reviews either. People on adoptuskids fb page said she was clueless too.

It's annoying when people market themselves and use children to do so. Maybe I'm just too cynical.
#13 of 16 Old 04-25-2013, 07:52 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbian Mama View Post

I spent $12 for this book and want $15 back, three extra dollars for each hour it took me to read this book!
I don't know if Nia tries to be irreverant but it seems that she comes off hard trying to be funny. I've only seen one of her movies and that was sometime ago so I don't remember her writing style. I scanned most of the chapter which documented her rise to fame. It was boring and full of name-dropping. When she finally gets to the fost/adopt I think she is writing a movie. At least it feels like fiction, or maybe a case of mis-remembering. Or maybe the girl in Spain and the first time she met her daughter really did go that way but it feels so false. I love a book called Expecting Adam which is full of incredibleness but it rings true and solid. I didn't get that from Nia.

What I learned from this book is: Nia is Greek, Nia is Canadian, Greeks are funny, foster care is full of children who have been voluntarily relinquished by loving and caring parents., Nia is Greek, Nia is ethnic, Nia knows famous people and likes to write their full names throughout the book, Nia is Greek, Nia is famous but not like "those people". Nia is fat/skinny. Nia likes the humblebrag. Nia is Greek.

I didn't learn anything from this book. I didn't feel inspired or excited after I finished this book. I was left confused as to why she wrote the book and how she thinks this will relate to regular, non-famous people. I was also confused as to how she had a dossier on her daughter and knew she was relinquished by loving parents due to a divorce but Nia doesn't know her daughter's ethnicity. Oh well, she's funny and brassy so she's Greek like Nia.

I'd be interested to hear any one else's opinion. Maybe I'll even reread the book after I have my placement and it will read differently next time.

I loved your review!! Very funny. :)

#14 of 16 Old 04-26-2013, 05:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathteach View Post

I didn't get a good vibe from the reviews either. People on adoptuskids fb page said she was clueless too.

It's annoying when people market themselves and use children to do so. Maybe I'm just too cynical.

You know I thought the same thing, maybe I'm cynical. I'll have to check the Adoptuskids page because I've only seen glowing reviews on mainstream websites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauren View Post

I loved your review!! Very funny. :)

Thank you, Lauren! ;)

10/12 - Orientation

03/13 - Matching phase

#15 of 16 Old 05-16-2013, 11:15 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I found parts of the book to be pretty funny. Though by the end of the book I was ready to have it over with. I found a lot of it to be repetitive near the end. Also I couldn't really relate to the infertility stuff, though I'm sure many women can. I liked the chapter that was called something like "Getting to know you" or something like that. It reminded me a lot of my DS who was about the same age when we first started fostering him. And was a total terror for a few months! I liked how she remained calm and loving during that period. I tried my best but oh my gosh it is hard when they act like wild maniacs!! Yes I was surprised by some of her situations. But I did keep reminding myself that everyone has different experiences... sometimes people here our experience and are surprised by how it went. One of my friends was shocked that Nia got a call for a legally free child that young and said "that never happens!" but we've gotten calls for legally free 1, 2, and 3 year olds so I know it does happen. A lot depends on where you live and how many people are looking to adopt from foster care in your area.

Anyways, overall I liked the book fine. Are there better books for people interested in adoption and fostering? Definitely! But I don't regret my time reading it. And I did find some of it to be pretty amusing and relatable to our situation.

Mom through birth and foster care adoption to DS 9, DD 6, and DD 7 mos 
Check out my blog: No Bohns About It
#16 of 16 Old 08-08-2013, 07:02 AM

I really liked it.  I got it from the library, so the cost didn't freak me out smile.gif  The writing wasn't great, but I love that a celebrity adopted from foster care.

I also liked that she documented her daughter's difficult transition.  What I did not like was that all of her progress was linear.  She had a rough start, but took slow baby steps toward stability and never regressed. Maybe that really happened, but it made me sad that my daughter's life  is full of regressions.

I was also sad that Vardalos did not add more of her daughter's pre-adoption story.  I understand why, but it left me wanting more.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page