Hello- Planning to Foster - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 06-23-2013, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)

Hi folks, I wanted to introduce myself. My partner and I have been wanting to start a family. Without going into the details (if you're interested, there are 2 years worth of posts in the TTC boards ;), we are sure we will eventually be able to have our own bio kids, we are interested in functioning as a family now. DP and I have talked about adopting or fostering since we first got together, and we are just now starting to actually plan for this possibility.

We've had conversations with our parents, and both sets support the idea of fostering. A few days ago we had a conversation with some friends who have two foster boys, and they told us all about their experience being foster parents. One of the parents is a social worker, so she gave us some tips about which agencies are better and how to navigate the system. We're now preparing to sign up for classes in October, which is the next set of classes that work with our schedule.

It's looking fairly certain that this will happen, and we've been spending more time caring for other peoples' kids to prepare. We're planning to just go ahead with the classes and not prevent pregnancy... I am pretty sure at this point that I will need some medical intervention in order to hold on to a pregnancy, so the idea is that we foster now and kind of slowly address fertility issues and eventually have bio kids. We are 32 and 34 so we still have the luxury of at least a few years, and we've done some initial fertility workups and there are no major problems.

Just wanted to say hello. Perhaps this fall I'll be posting more often about classes and home studies!

Foster mom, married to DH (foster dad!)

#2 of 7 Old 06-23-2013, 11:40 AM

Location: dining at the restaurant at the end of the universe
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Welcome to the neighborhood! One of the best things about the slow foster parent training and application process is that it gives you time to think about all the decisions ahead - boy or girl, how many, what ages, what kinds of disabilities could you handle, and so much more. And even if fostering is right for you guys at this time. Much to learn, but also much introspection. It is a roller coaster indeed. And oh, so worth it!

Rhu - mother,grandmother,daughter,sister,friend-foster,adoptive,and biological;not necessarily in that order. Some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way (Jimmy Buffet)

#3 of 7 Old 06-23-2013, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks mamarhu-- yes, between the classes, home studies, etc. I think it will be next spring before a child potentially comes into our house. The fact that it is approximately 9 months was not lost on me. We do have family support, a home, car and schedules that would make it work, so that makes thinking about it a little easier.

#4 of 7 Old 06-24-2013, 11:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Congrats on deciding to Foster.  There is such a desperate need for Foster families.  My husband and I tried to go slow and ran into a little hiccup.  In Michigan, due to a lawsuit from 2006, the state watches how long an agency takes to process a foster parent license.  Our agency made us close the application and then reopen when were absolutely ready to take kids.  However, we were still able to take classes.  We took each of our classes with a different agency to get a feel for how they operated.  They are all very different!  Ironically the children we got were from another agency and they would not transfer the case to our agency.  We now get to work with the worst agency in our area :(    Best of luck to you and your partner.

#5 of 7 Old 06-27-2013, 02:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Hi TeamViddy-

We are throwing our hat into the fostering ring also.  We fostered one child in 2006/2007 and then took a break when our twins were born in 2007. 

We are now trying to figure out what ages we would take, etc.  I'm scared to do this again (It will break your heart) but also feel like we have an obligation since we are fortunate to have so much.   I'm also, selfishly, a little sad to bring another little kid into the house just when my youngest are about to start school! 

Me.  With 1 spouse, 4 kids, 16 chickens, 74 matchbox cars, 968,562+ legos, a dishwasher waiting to be emptied, a washing machine waiting to be filled and a lost cup of tea in the house.

#6 of 7 Old 06-29-2013, 05:53 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Welcome!!!biggrinbounce.gif

#7 of 7 Old 06-29-2013, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter

Cinco- definitely something to consider! Over the past few days we figured out we'll be starting classes in mid-September. I think we'll be OK on this timeline since we have the summer to talk things through before even starting the process... Our friend who is a social worker said that we could take classes wherever we wanted, as long as we completed the whole series and it was in Ohio. The lady at the agency that a few people have recommended said we have to complete all classes through their agency. Fair enough-- it would be difficult to keep track of the classes otherwise.

Do you ever have an option to change? Or are you stuck with this agency as long as the child is in your care?

Mumm- It's OK to be selfish, I think redface.gif -- if you are already parenting, I am sure the downtime is well-earned.

Lauren- Hello! Thanks for the welcome!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page