Foster mom thinking of adopting - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 08-26-2013, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello! I am new to this forum or any for that matter! I have read them numerous of times to get helpful info. I am a single foster mom with a bio son who is 8 yrs old. I had a calling to become a foster mom when a friend of mine started fostering. I LOVED when she would get a new placement and would rush over to meet them and find what ever she needed to care for them. They ususally come with the clothes on their backs and a few things from DSS. I decided to become a foster mom and went through the paperwork and classes. I never thought about adoption because I always felt it was important for a child to have a mother and a father. My son has a great relationship with his father still.

The first placement we had was a 2 yr. old (almost 3) boy. He was challenging because he was sick a lot was dehydrated when I first got him. He got a stomach bug shortly after coming into my care and was hospitalized because he dehydrated so fast. He had constant ear infections and I had to take off work a lot to stay with him and go back and fourth to doctors appts. He had surgery and had his aednoids and tonsils removed and tubes put in his ears. The transformation of his speech and attitude from when I first got him until he left to go back to family was amazing and so rewarding! I was sad to see him go but did not suffer any grief like others explain and I was ready to do it again (after a small break) namaste.gif

After only a 2 week break a 9 month old little girl was placed with me. She is currently placed with me and I LOVE her and feel so protective over her and want to adopt her if she becomes available! I never thought that I would actually want to adopt but I do now! Father or no father! lol. She has been in the system since she was 4 months old. Her BM wants her back but has done nothing to get her back! She just keeps saying it is too hard. Its too hard for her to get a job, to find housing..etc.

Her mom was in and out of foster care too and this has gone on for 3 generations so I feel like if she goes back then she will turn out the same. Her mom is not a bad person but has no idea how to care for a child or what it takes to care for a child. Her next court date is in Oct. and I know that the judge will extend her time again. My fear is that she stays in my care until she is almost 2 and then they send her back greensad.gif. That will be so devasting on both parts. During visits she won't even go to her BM and cries for the CW to hold her which is weird because that is not her demeanor normally. She is fine going to whomever.

Ok..just wanted to get my story out there. Now I feel better redface.gif

#2 of 3 Old 08-26-2013, 07:51 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Welcome, welcome! It sounds like you've had a great start!! I'm sure others will be along to chime in. I hope things work out for you. Foster parenting can be quite a roller coaster of emotions!!

#3 of 3 Old 08-27-2013, 11:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Welcome to the roller coaster!   Here in CA, there is supposed to be a 6 month max to TPR for infants.   It never is that short though, it is usually about 18 months.   The court system moves unbelievably slow.   Do you know what your rights are as a foster parent?

Trying to adopt from foster care in Los Angeles.buddamomimg1.png

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page