inducing lcatation for adoptive baby - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-02-2014, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi!  Due to my birth defect, I am unable to have children, so I am looking into adoption.  I have read a whole lot about inducing lactation for an adoptive newborn/infant, and I am interested in trying this. I am working right now with an adoption agency in WA State, but we are just in the beginning stages of everything.  Still, I want to start inducing lactation, so I am ready for when I do have a baby through adoption.

I am already on Domperidone for a stomach disorder, so I am already producing a couple drops of breastmilk right now, but everything I have read on the internet says I have to use birth control pills to help with this too.  I can't take hormonal birth control meds due to one of the medicine I am on for epilepsy (this is true to most anyone who takes seizure meds, no matter how low the dose is).

Is there a way I can produce more milk without having to use birth control pills to jump start everything?  I recently bought an Ameda Purely Yours pump off of Ebay that was brand new, along with some Motherlove Goat's Rue tablets.  Are there other herbs that will help with this too? How often should I pump daily?

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Jessie (proud aunt to Brianna, age 4)

:goorgwinner.jpg1pump.giflearning.gifwave.gifknit.gif

#2 of 5 Old 01-03-2014, 04:47 AM

Try contacting Dr. Newman. Here is a link to his facebook page and the other to his website. He has helped many mothers and is very well known and trusted. https://www.facebook.com/DrJackNewman & http://www.breastfeedinginc.ca/content.php?pagename=drjack

bfinfant.gifbreastfeedingfemalesling.GIF baby-wearing familybed1.gif bed-sharing greenthumb.gif herb growing/using nocirc.gif no circ'ing  lady.gif Mama 

bikenew.gif6-25-2006goodvibes.gif11.29.2008dust.gif7-6-2010babyf.gif10-3-2012 belly.gifcraving #5 ALREADY 

#3 of 5 Old 01-04-2014, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtapc90 View Post

Try contacting Dr. Newman. Here is a link to his facebook page and the other to his website. He has helped many mothers and is very well known and trusted. https://www.facebook.com/DrJackNewman & http://www.breastfeedinginc.ca/content.php?pagename=drjack

Thanks for the links.  I will definetly look at them and contact Dr. Newman.  I want so much to breastfeed an adoptive baby, so they get a good nutritional start.

#4 of 5 Old 01-04-2014, 03:27 PM

Are the meds/conditions you have contraindicated for nursing as well, or just pregnancy? I would also check kellymom.com, as they're an awesome breastfeeding resource. They may have some other resources listed as well. 

2twins.gif DH, me, DD '11 blowkiss.gif and a new rainbow1284.gifbabyboy.gif born at home April '14! 

familybed2.giffemalesling.GIFnocirc.gif cd.gif goorganic.jpgh20homebirth.gif winner.jpg 

#5 of 5 Old 01-04-2014, 09:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShyingViolet View Post

Are the meds/conditions you have contraindicated for nursing as well, or just pregnancy? I would also check kellymom.com, as they're an awesome breastfeeding resource. They may have some other resources listed as well. 

They are contraindicated just for pregnancy, according to my doctors.  There is only one med they told me that I should go off, because it will reduce a milk supply, and that Toviaz, for overactive bladder.  I stopped taking that med a couple months ago, because I started getting Botox injections in my bladder instead, which they said wouldn't contradict breastfeeding.

Jessie (proud auntie to Brianna)

:joy:lactivist:goorg1pump.giflearning.gifknit.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page