Curious about the process - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 04-17-2014, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello all!  
I am very curious about knowing more about the whole adoption, and foster care processes.  What are the differences between the two?  I'm not sure if we would be better suited to foster, or adopt, or maybe both one day!  I have heard and read that the adoption process is a LONG one.  Is foster care the same?
We have a 5-month old, and I'm interested in raising another child alongside her.  Not another infant, but someone who is between 4-6 years old.  Does it take as long to adopt around that age as it does an infant?  I've heard that adopting infants is usually a longer process, because a lot of people are already registered and desire to care for children at that young of an age.
Thank you!

#2 of 5 Old 04-17-2014, 05:56 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Welcome Southern Maple! You have come to the right place. I am about to go tuck in my child, but I'm sure others will be along shortly to answer some of your questions!!!

#3 of 5 Old 04-18-2014, 11:36 AM

SouthernMaple - In Michigan there are many 4-6 year old available via Foster to Adopt.  I can't speak for straight adoption.  I have two little boys that we're on our way to adopting.   They were 15 mo and 4.5 when they joined us.  I really struggled (and still do) with splitting my time between.  Their needs are so different and the older boy needs lots of attention and supervision.   Both my husband I work outside the home, so it might feel different if one of us stayed home? 

Our adoption is taking forever, they came to us in January 2013 and we're looking at Fall 2014 as the earliest we'll get to court.  I do hear from other FP that their adoptions have gone much faster!     Best of luck!

#4 of 5 Old 06-17-2014, 08:40 PM

The amount of time it takes to adopt depends on the situation. Some adoptions are quick and easy while others are difficult and drawn out. Most are somewhere in between. Here's a survey that shows some recent data about wait times: http://www.adoptivefamilies.com/arti...ines-2012-2013 scroll down to find the type of adoption that suits you.
#5 of 5 Old 06-18-2014, 10:57 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
It's hard to give an exact answer to questions about time etc. Your situation does sound like a good one for foster-adopt. The number of children waiting in that age range depends on your area. There may be many, there may be none. Even if there are none waiting its still a good idea to get licensed and be ready.

The adoption process can be long or short just depends on the case. Short still means a year. Long could mean 5 years or even more though thats rarer these days. Our case did technically take about 3.5 years, though most of that time was just waiting for an adoption date. My advice would be to get in touch with your local social service office and start getting licensed.... and if they don't call you back KEEP CALLING. I know so many people who leave messages and never hear back from an overworked staff. If you don't hear back call again

Mom through birth and foster care adoption to DS 9, DD 6, and DD 7 mos 
Check out my blog: No Bohns About It

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page