Mothering Forum banner

How likely to adopt?

2K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  christophersmom 
#1 ·
My husband and I are in the process of becoming foster parents in Oklahoma. I was just wondering how likely it is that someday we will have the opportunity to adopt? We are only able to take 1 child between age 0-4 at a time. I know that we most likely won't be able to adopt the first or even the second but are the odds in our favor? Is there a chance we could foster and never get a chance to adopt? Or is it more than likely we'll be able to adopt? Please help!

#3 ·
If you really want to adopt, you are better off going through an agency or doing a private adoption. Otherwise, you may have to wait 10 years and go through several dozen failed placements. Or you might get lucky and get placed with a child you end up adopting right away.

I have been a foster parent. It is extremely difficult and emotionally wrenching. We were in it for the same reasons you are and it about killed me. We eventually completed a private adoption.

Even if you are lucky, that doesn't mean things will be smooth. A friend of mine adopted her first child from foster care. He was placed with them at birth and his mother signed away her rights that day because she knew she couldn't parent. It took 21 months of monthly court visits, monthly state inspections of their home, and limbo to complete the adoption. They had to sign paperwork stating that their special needs African American child was a healthy white toddler to finally get the state to agree to finalize the adoption.

Also, younger children don't necessarily not have some of the issues older children tend to come with. The two year old we fostered had attachment disorder and tried to strangle our then 10 month old dd.

It can work out. But if adoption is your primary goal, I recommend going another route.

#4 ·
I agree with the PP. It's one thing if you truly want to foster kids and help kids in need until they go back to their family, and it would be nice if you're able to adopt one. If that's how you're feeling, then go for it, foster kids need loving families.

But if you only want to adopt and there's no 'foster to adopt' situation-it's better to find another way. Young kids certainly can have special needs as a result of their upbringing that are very difficult to handle, from even just a few months old. It can also be emotionally difficult to have young children in the house that aren't yours when you desperately want children of your own.

#5 ·
Statistically I think the odds for an infant foster-adoption are about 25% and the odds for an infant private adoption are more like 50-75%. Of course, that's just an average. You could get lucky or you could get unlucky.

You can increase your chances of adoption by asking some pointed questions before accepting any placement. I'd ask these questions:
- Does this child have siblings in the system? (if yes, then adoption is more likely but maybe not by you unless you adopt the siblings too)
- What is the visitation schedule (if there's lots of visits planned then it's unlikely to go to adoption)
- Is the child entering fostercare or being moved from another fosterhome (if moved, more likely adoption)
- Race, religion, etc (if you "match" then you're less likely to encounter problems from case workers who discriminate)
-

#6 ·
It also depends a lot on where you live. I was surprised to find my county had a fairly high rate of cases going to adoption. Our very first case went to adoption. My friend has fostered something like 15 children and I think all but 1 have gone to adoption.

Not sure if this helps, but most foster parents I've talked to have stated they can often tell from the start if a birth mom is going to get the kids back or not. You might get a feeling upon the way the case is going early on (is she working hard or not basically). Often when you know the child will be returned it is easier to keep your heart out of it. I mean you still care for and love the child, but you are happy to know you helped make a difference in a difficult time and that the child is going back to a better situation.

Whatever course you take, there will likely be heartache along the way.

#7 ·
I didnt see anything in the OP that made it seem they "only" wanted to adopt and wouldnt be good candidates to foster, nor did i see anything that would suggest they only wanted a healthy child and wouldnt be prepared if a child had some issues. I think private infant adoption can be a good choice (although, again, didnt see that the OP *only* wanted an infant) but private adoption isnt feasible for everyone.

While i absolutely would say that if you foster you MUST be able to support the plan and must recognize that you might not adopt a child in your care, i dont like the idea that i see in lots of places that fostering is really only suitable for those that would be willing to adopt but do not desire adoption as their primary goal. I think you can be a good foster parent who supports reunification and be willing to work with birthparents AND also really really want to adopt a child permanently. Its hard when you have both of those emotions going on, because they somewhat conflict. But as long as you are aware of them and what the reality of the situation is i think its fine. Obviously if a foster parent was trying to sabotage RU or was being inappropriate in usurping the role of the birthparent thats an issue but it doesnt HAVE to be that way.

To the OP the short answer to your question is that its very likely you will be able to adopt a child you foster, although it might not be the FIRST child you foster. I think its pretty UNlikely that you "never" get to adopt, although that certain can happen because anything is possible.

The long answer is that with fostering there just are no guarantees. And even in cases that everyone thinks will go a certain way, may go a different way at the 11th hour. Depending on where you live and also maybe your particular agency you may be able to increase chances of getting a probable adoptive placement (sometimes they know from the beginning the child is unlikely to go home) but again there just are no guarantees. But can you adopt a young child via fostering? sure, happens all the time. I know tons of parents online who have adopted multiple healthy infants and toddlers within a a few years time via fostering.

My own personal experience is that i adopted my first placement. Healthy 3 week old infant, no birthparent visits, TPR at 4 months, finalized at 11 months. My second placement, a healthy 1 yr old girl, went to an aunt after two months (it was expected), then i adopted my third placement, a 16 month old boy at placement (2 yo at TPR, 3 yo at finalization)...i adopted his 8 yr old sister after TPR as well.

I took a couple years break from fostering and when i started up again i had a sibling group that was RU'd after two months and then i had a 2 yr old that was Ru'd after several months, both of those reunifications were expected and celebrated.

I think its probably a little easier to foster and have a child leave after you have already gotten a "keeper", i would think. I know of people who were desperate to adopt, got a wonderful first placement headed to TPR then the child went to a relative after a year or two and it was devastating. But then they went on to foster more kids and eventually adopt.

Good luck!

Reactions: lauren
#8 ·
While i absolutely would say that if you foster you MUST be able to support the plan and must recognize that you might not adopt a child in your care, i dont like the idea that i see in lots of places that fostering is really only suitable for those that would be willing to adopt but do not desire adoption as their primary goal. I think you can be a good foster parent who supports reunification and be willing to work with birthparents AND also really really want to adopt a child permanently.
I understand that you don't like that idea, but after everything we've seen and gone through, I have to agree with the premise. I think that it is possible to support reunification while also wanting to adopt, but with most people it's not likely. It's also extremely hard to see a child you've grown to love returned to her/his abusers time and again only to come back to you in worse shape than the first time he/she arrived. In addition, dealing with the foster care system is enough to drive anyone mad.

I no longer advise anyone who does have adoption as their primary goal to go the foster care route unless they are trying to adopt a child whose already legally free.

As far as private adoption not being feasible for everyone, we did it, and that means 98-99% of everyone who wants to can manage it if they work hard enough on finding a way. We're a low-income, non-Christian, lesbian couple in the south and we managed it. It doesn't have to cost a fortune either; our total reciepts were in the range of $3500 and we got it all back, and then some, in the form of the EIC the next year.

#9 ·
Again, fostering with the hope of one day adopting can work- but the person really needs to be prepared for it, and there are other, less emotionally wrenching, options.

#11 ·
I don't have (and can't have) biological children. However, I don't think that I would be "better off" doing a private adoption. The foster care to adoption route is not for everyone, but if you think you can do it and want to do it, it is an amazing experience.

Affordability played a part in our original planning to foster to adopt. But after doing my research, I found that the foster care system in our area is in desperate need of families who can help. Then it was a problem that I could not ignore, I had to help. See, I have these arms, they are really good at holding babies. And there are so many babies around here that need holding!

Our first placement has had it's ups and downs but now we are on the route to adopting him. Our second placement came and went home quickly. Our third placement is slowly heading towards reunification with her parents and I am proud of the steps FD's mama is taking to get well and ready to parent this little one. I feel like we are a team trying to do what's best for FD. I know it doesn't always work this way and maybe it is easier for me because my first FS is going to stay forever.

I also know after receiving so many calls over the last 15 months, that you can ask the right questions (like marsupial-mom said) and get a good sense of where the case is headed.

I believe that the hardest thing about foster parenting is managing all the intrusions and schedules. Visits with family, visits from social workers, the therapy and doctor appointments. It is a LOT!

#12 ·
You CAN both want adoption and foster. I am fostering a 2 month old and I am supportive of his mom in getting him back. I am also wanting to adopt him if she cant, but he may also go be with a bio sibling which is also a happy ending for him. We are also on the waiting list for a private agency adoption. I just love being a mom, and I am glad I can do it any way possible, even if its not forever.

#13 ·
We adopted placements 1&2, both girls placed at 5 months and 3 months. We got a call right after we went active again for a 4 day old that ended up going to relinquishment 2-3 months into case (DH said no to little boy). We have been foster parents for 5 years and are on 3rd placement. I *think* he will also go to adoption, it is looking like it may be to some friends of ours if he heads to adoption as we are looking to soon start weekend visits with him and them according to SW.
I think we will continue to foster. Our goal was also eventually to adopt. We have a county that works hard for both foster and bio families. I am also one of the rare foster parents that has an open adoption with our DD2's bio parents (have a visit this week with bio-dad). So we did support the relationship with bio's.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.