Reading material, advice - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-29-2014, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reading material, advice

We have been fostering a 1 year old for almost 6 months now and we should be finalizing her adoption within a couple of months. Birth dad is unlikely to ever be in contact, but birth mom may be able to get her life straightened out after she goes through treatment for drug problems. I am hoping that some day we can help our adopted daughter to have a good relationship with her birth mom.
I'm looking for suggestions on books or other reading material that may help me to understand the best way to go about this process. I'm also interested in reading about how these sorts of relationships affect adopted children.
Any advice on how to address this topic with our daughter as she grows older is also welcome. We intend to be very open with her regarding her adoption, and hopefully we will be able to give her age-appropriate information regarding how she came to be in the foster system, as she matures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2014, 06:27 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
I wanted to welcome you and acknowledge your post. I think lots of members are away or occupied with Thanksgiving holidays!

I am sure someone will be along to make some recommendations for you today!

Old Yesterday, 10:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I recently read Telling the Truth to Your Adopted or Foster Child. Although my FS is still too young to understand, we do talk about his mom in age appropriate ways. The book gave lots of informaiton that I will probably reference later. As far as the relationship with birthmom, I don't have any advice. For our FS, he will probably not have a relationship with his mom because she doesn't want it so open adoption is not really in the cards for us.

Trying to adopt from foster care in Los Angeles.buddamomimg1.png

Old Yesterday, 11:07 PM

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
As for a book for younger children, I really like "A mother for Coco". It is a beautiful story of adoption for children, from 3 years up.

User Tag List