Mothering Forum banner

Preparing room for first placement

3K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  marsupial-mom 
#1 ·
We're just about done with out licensing requirements and should be ready to go by the end of the month! :grin:

We're being licensed for 0-15, so I'm not sure how to have the child's room set up. Right now we have a queen bed. Since we don't know what age our first placement will be, I'm wondering if I should swap out the queen bed for twin + crib so we are ready for anything? But, if we end up with an older child, I'm sure they'd appreciate the queen bed... and if it's an infant, we'd want to set up the crib in our room...

We don't have biological children so this will be our first time! I'm excited and nervous and just can't wait to meet him or her! I'd love to hear about your first placement, too, if you care to share!

#2 ·
How exciting for you!! And welcome to Mothering!

I wonder if you could leave the basic room fairly neutral, but then be ready to accessorize with age appropriate extras (pillows, comforter, posters, etc.)

It sounds great that you are so open to such a diverse age bracket!!

More folks will be along soon to throw in their ideas, I'm sure.

#3 ·
I would leave the queen, since you'd want the crib in your room in any case. You could always change it later if you have the twin bed already in your home. My kids are 4 and 7 and have full size beds, and the beds seem HUGE to them - so your child may actually prefer the twin if he or she is used to that.
Since you are open to so many ages, I would do as Lauren suggested and leave the room fairly neutral, and accessorize.
Congrats!

#4 ·
I'm a brand new foster mom who is licensed for 0 to 17 so i totally get what you are going through. I got licensed 2 weeks ago and got my first placement the next week. My room was set up with a twin bed, dresser, side table, and a shelf. This worked out well for me since my first placement is a 2 year old.

Got a toddler bed from my sister and repurposed an entertainment center as a changing table and we were good to go.

I do emergency placements, so only had 3 hours to prepare the room for her before they brought her by. I think having a neutral room helped.

The pictures on the wall are old timey book illustrations, so an older child would want some changes, but I figured I could take those changes as they come.

I wish you luck. I love belong a foster parent, so far. :)

#5 ·
In my county they do a recheck when you take a placement to make sure you have the appropriate things (bed or crib etc). To get licensed though we only needed the right amount of space and all the fire safety things like fire extinguishers/proper alarms/ fire escape ladder etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.