Mothering Forum banner

Must both parents be licensed to have a foster child?

2K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  phathui5 
#1 ·
My wife has threatened to leave me if we don’t become foster parents and take on a foster child.

I reluctantly agreed because I don’t want her to leave me.

What is the bare minimum we need to be do licensed?

The state agency is badgering me to become a fully licensed foster parent, but I know there are plenty of homes where not all adults are licensed.

What are the bare requirements for my wife to get her license so she can have her foster baby?

#3 ·
There are worse things than having your wife leave you, and you are signing on for one of them. You have no idea how bad your marriage can get. You can spend years doing what you're setting out to do now - being horrible to your wife, and letting her and any children placed with you down, repeatedly - and in the end, you may still be married, but you'll hate your wife, your entire life, and yourself.

#5 ·
We are not licensed yet, but I am a parent, and I know that doing right by a child requires the full engagement of everyone signed on to care for that child. Of course I don't know the details of your situation, and can't speak to whether your wife is being reasonable or not by demanding this of you, but an ultimatum designed to force one half of a couple into taking on the care of child (bio or otherwise) that they have no interest in caring for isn't fair to the child. It seems to me that that needs to be the first consideration.

#6 ·
I agree with the other posters. If you are going to get involved in taking in foster children, both adults in the home should be licensed, trained, etc. If you're not on the same page, it needs to wait.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.