notarization, county certification, state certification, oh my! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 07-27-2005, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
holy crap everyone, just had my hr long conversation w/the agency consultant about getting started building our foreign dossier for Guatemala. i'm totally overwhelmed at the moment and feeling discouraged. logistically, how is a notary w/an expiration date of more than 12 months going to be available for us and for our references, witness, employers, financial institution, doctor, sheriff's office?
deep down, i know we'll make it happen but it just seems overwhelming at the moment...
any hints, tips or notary related jokes would be appreciated!
thanks everyone,
Kelly

Kelly, :Mama to Kevin, 10/1/05 & Seth, 7/7/06. ::
#2 of 12 Old 07-27-2005, 01:54 PM

Don't stress, we had the same problem. Take a deep breathe... You can find a notary at your bank or courthouse. We never once ran into a notary that expired within even 3 years. If you use a local bank and they know you, they may not charge you. We would just gather all the papers that needed to be notarized (we did 3 copies of everything to be safe) and brought them all in at once. Other than that its whatever works best for you. But I would do at least the 3 copies, you need 2 copies for your dossier. I forgot to ask which consultant are you working with? We have Susan, she's on the night shift. Oh one more question, are you going to get any vaccines before you travel? We are thinking about getting vaccinated for Typhoid and Hepatitis A.
#3 of 12 Old 07-27-2005, 04:35 PM

This is one of the major irritants of the dossier prep phase. In my state it waas even worse, because the notary had to live in the same county we do or else it would entail even more work for us. It is amazing how many times we would ask if their registration was in our county and have them say yes, only to find out it was not. We learned to check this out before they ruined the documents the hard way!

So my tip is to ask to see their seal or commission first so that you can double check the expiration up front.

The doctors are the worst, in terms of trying to get forms filled out correctly and notarized. Some have notaries in their offices or if they do rounds in hospitals they might get it done there. You might actually have to find a notary who will travel to an office (for a fee) for a few documents.

Good luck. It is maddening.
#4 of 12 Old 07-27-2005, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter

well, it's good to hear i'm not the only one...and it won't be a problem to find a free notary for the things WE have to sign but it's the doctors letter that will be especially difficult, and the references/witness statements...but we'll figure it out i'm sure...and yes, the notary does have to be from our county too...
Starr-we have Sara-she's dayshift but stays til 6:30pm and occasional saturdays so it's going well so far. and we got tetanus shots but only cuz it was time when we had our physicals...and we haven't thought about any others yet...i'll add it to the list of stuff to look into, thanks

Kelly, :Mama to Kevin, 10/1/05 & Seth, 7/7/06. ::
#5 of 12 Old 07-27-2005, 07:41 PM

Don't worry, soon you will be able to do it all in your sleep. We got pretty much our entire dossier together in about a month even with all the signatures, etc.!

Regarding vaccinations for Guatemala, if you do not plan on traveling and are just staying in the hotel, I wouldn't bother. We traveled for about 3 weeks, and we did get some vaccines, but I really really regret doing it. I had a severe reaction to one of them and contracted a serious infection. I wish I had read more about vaccines here before bothering to get them for myself.

The hotels in Guatemala all cater to Guatemalan business travelers and foreign travelers, including adoptive parents. We ate everything in the Marriott, drank water, used ice, etc. within the hotel. We also ate at some reputable restaurants in GC and Antigua with no issues.

Holli
#6 of 12 Old 07-27-2005, 08:13 PM

You may be surprised at how easy it is. I had it built up in my mind that it would horribly time consuming and sooo hard, but in reality it really wasn't that big of a deal.

Our references didn't have any trouble getting their letters notarized (and two of them even had to be rewritten/renotarized because our references forgot to use our full names). And our doctor's office has a notary on staff- many offices do. When I took our documents to the county courthouse to get all of the notaries certified, I brought everything at once, and it was quick and painless. And because we weren't in a huge hurry, I mailed our documents to the Secretary of State to get authenticated, and it took less than a week. Very easy.

I know it seems like a lot of work now. But form a plan as to how you'll proceed and take it one step at a time.

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
#7 of 12 Old 07-28-2005, 12:53 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
There are travelling notaries that can meet you at your bank and doc's office. Our local police department typed up our letters and forwarded them to our City Hall for notary seals and then we could pick them up there. Also, there are notaries at Postal Annex's and the UPS Store's that are usually close-by to you and all your witnesses and employers.

Also, for Guat, the only vaccine I got was the Hep A. I got it because I live close to the Mex border and vacation there, so I figured it would come in handy anyways. I am a selective and delayed vax-ing mama for my kids, BTW.

About food sickness and stuff like that. Several people that travelled with my agency group got a bit of a bug down there. We all stayed at the Marriott and pretty much only ate there. DH and I took the advice of a frequest travelling friend - we bought a bottle of hard liquor (in this case, Guatemala's very own yummy Zacapa rum) and we did a small shot after every meal. Not enough to even come remotely close to a buzz, mind you. Worked great. I also brought along some herbs and Pepto in case of a tummy emergency.

Married to my high school sweetheart. We have four awesome kids.
#8 of 12 Old 07-28-2005, 08:30 AM

Oh mama, don't worry all will be well. We had a notary who was registered as William but signed all his documents as Bill. When it came time to apostille everything, that almost became a huge problem because the names didn't match. Fortunately the woman at the secretary of state's office realized she knew the guy and that, apparently, was good enough for her so all was OK. Thank God Vermont is a small state and everybody seems to know everybody else!!!

Good Luck! Just put your head down and plow through. Before you know it, the paperwork will be out of your life, and you'll miss the business it gave you. It's easier to be actively working toward your baby than simply waiting for the phone to ring. Hope your child comes soon!!!!!!
#9 of 12 Old 07-28-2005, 05:12 PM

First, take a breath!

I plan to begin the paper chase for Guatemala in January 2007 as a single parent so I will look forward to seeing your posts and hearing how your journey progresses! I've seen four different adoption journeys from three different countries in the past two years at my church. While, the journies may not be what was planned for, they all had the desired end: a child and yours will too
#10 of 12 Old 07-29-2005, 10:19 AM

Fenwickmama- Just had to let oyu know, we got a cal from the agency last night and Susan decided to take a personal leave of absence for a while. SO the agency assigned us a new consultant, we now have Sara too! Sometime today we are supose to call her and just update her as to where we are and get familiar with her. Anyways I just thought it was a weird coincidence and had to tell you.
#11 of 12 Old 07-29-2005, 02:43 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starr
Fenwickmama- Just had to let oyu know, we got a cal from the agency last night and Susan decided to take a personal leave of absence for a while. SO the agency assigned us a new consultant, we now have Sara too! Sometime today we are supose to call her and just update her as to where we are and get familiar with her. Anyways I just thought it was a weird coincidence and had to tell you.
These names sound familiar to the names of people at the agancy I used. Are you using an big agency based in Ohio?

Married to my high school sweetheart. We have four awesome kids.
#12 of 12 Old 07-29-2005, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaBlue
These names sound familiar to the names of people at the agancy I used. Are you using an big agency based in Ohio?
YES! EAC? In North Royalton Ohio?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page