Any NONwhite mamas adopting caucasian babies or babies outside their race/mixed? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 06-27-2006, 10:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
the "Any white mamas adopting African American or bi-racial babies?" thread got me thinking I remember seeing on Oprah about an AA woman who adopted (friend's child) a blonde blue eyed child.

I was wondering if there are any nonwhite mamas who have adopted children outside their own ethnicities or adopted white children?

8 might be enough
#2 of 9 Old 06-28-2006, 09:28 AM

I don't know of any personally but I have seen this same question come up on other adoption boards from time to time and there is usually one or two people who respond and know of situations where this occured.

Maggie
#3 of 9 Old 06-28-2006, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter

I just wonder if a nonwhite family would encounter the same things about adopting a child outside their race, especially caucasian. I have found people 'educate' a white couple that wants a biracial/aa etc child but would an AA family be given the same flack if they tried to adopt a white child? or are there reasons why they wouldn't? I dunno it just seemed interesting.

8 might be enough
#4 of 9 Old 06-29-2006, 02:56 PM

There is an thread on adoption.com from earlier this year that focues on this...there are a couple of articles - one about an AA family adopting from Bulgaria and another about a family adopting from China......

http://forums.adoption.com/showthread.php?t=235481

Maggie
#5 of 9 Old 06-29-2006, 03:45 PM

My baby had swimming lessons with a CC boy who was being adopted by a AA mother from foster care. I noticed that many asked "Are you babysitting" where the CC woman who had adopted the AA baby was a " Your little one is SO cute" comment.
Amanda
#6 of 9 Old 06-29-2006, 11:55 PM

I do remember seeing a family in one of my transracial adoption books where the momma was black and her children were a true rainbow. The last one was a flaxen haired child from Russia or Romania or somewhere. She did say that the assumption was always that she was the day care provider :
#7 of 9 Old 06-30-2006, 12:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
She did say that the assumption was always that she was the day care provider
thats often the assumption when people see families that don't make sense to them. My ex after my dd father was 'aa' and I am cc my dd is asian we used to confuse the crap out of people when we were out.

8 might be enough
#8 of 9 Old 07-01-2006, 10:10 AM

Location: dining at the restaurant at the end of the universe
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I went to college with a red-haired blue-eyed girl who was adopted by a Phillipino family and raised in the Phillipines. She said twice her father was detained on suspicion of kidnapping her!

Rhu - mother,grandmother,daughter,sister,friend-foster,adoptive,and biological;not necessarily in that order. Some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way (Jimmy Buffet)

#9 of 9 Old 07-01-2006, 09:38 PM

Would an AA family get the same "flack" for adopting a white child as a CC family adopting an AA/bi/multi racial chlid?

Probably not...But I'm biased, because I would definitley give that CC family what you call "flack" but what I call a genuine and justified concern for the identity of the child in question. The situations are similar but because of current reality of social status, they are very different as well.

That said, I have no personal stories of it happening, but I'm sure it has.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page