Adopting newborn twins - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 08-01-2006, 02:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all,
Does anyone know anything about adopting newborn twins domestically (In Canada or US)? What would be the best way to go about doing this? Do you just specify that you would like to adopt twins and hope that a birthmom chooses you? Or do agencies seek out birthmoms who are having twins and give her your info for consideration?

We have two biokids that would be at least 5 and 7 if and when we adopt, so I'd like to adopt two kids, and what could be better than two at one time!!

Thanks!

We're Tiffani , Mark , Lucy (9/99) , Dexter (8/01) ,and Zachary Marvin (3/07) and Naomi Rose (6/09), home 11/10, by way of Ugandan adoption.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 08-01-2006, 02:29 AM

I might ask around how twins might be treated differently in adoption situations as I am sure that there are people who might be overwhelmed adopting a domestic pregnancy to find out its twins. Also twins can often have issues even minor ones from prematurity etc.

I'd highlight that you'd be interested in adopting twins and the reasons why. (* I think if you don't explain yourself people might think you are going for the cute factor when twins are more than twice the work.....) I think if I was a birth mom expecting twins I would want to choose a family that could really handle twins and already having two children you've been broken into parenthood I think I would as a BM look for a family that had children already.

When we weren't getting pregnant and on the fence about what to do before our first son I was making inquries to adopt the chubbiest twin girls that were 9 months old..... sigh.....

8 might be enough
#3 of 12 Old 08-01-2006, 03:05 AM

We adopted twins doestically 10 years ago. We put down on papework that we would be open to a sibling group and we lucked out and got twins
#4 of 12 Old 08-02-2006, 03:00 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies

We're Tiffani , Mark , Lucy (9/99) , Dexter (8/01) ,and Zachary Marvin (3/07) and Naomi Rose (6/09), home 11/10, by way of Ugandan adoption.

#5 of 12 Old 08-04-2006, 08:02 AM

I would also add that it's good to check with a reputable, ethical agency also.

I've heard many, many stories of private adoption scammers who claim to be pregnant with twins. (Scammer NOT to be confused with ACTUAL pregnant women considering placing their children!)

The whole twin angle seems to be a popular "hook" among scammers--especially those contacting parents who list profiles online.

Good luck! DH and I are open to twins also--planning to start paperwork in the next few months.
#6 of 12 Old 08-04-2006, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter

It's funny, because when I was pregant with both of my kids I was terrified of having twins, but for many reasons, now that we're seasoned parents, we would welcome adopted twins, and in many ways, prefer them to adopting twice... we'll just have to see how it goes!

I read on the CAFCA website (a Canadian(?) adoption service who seems to be the authority on Ethiopian adoptions here) that twins are "common" in Ethiopia... anyone know anything about that? We're not hell-bent on twins, but are thinking of adopting in Ethiopia anyway, and twins would be nice, so...

#7 of 12 Old 08-07-2006, 11:43 PM

It seemed to me that there are a lot of twins coming out of Liberia as well. The birthmom of my firends' twins had a total of 12 living children including 4 sets of twins!!
#8 of 12 Old 08-11-2006, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie
It seemed to me that there are a lot of twins coming out of Liberia as well. The birthmom of my firends' twins had a total of 12 living children including 4 sets of twins!!

I wonder why? Maybe because of the severe poverty, twins are more likely to be given of than singletons. : Also, aren't twins more common the more children you have? Maybe Africa has more twins because the women tend to have more children than the average American or European.

Welcoming our twins :: born February 21, 2009 at 33 weeks! :
C-section due to pre-eclampsia and HELLP:
#9 of 12 Old 08-22-2006, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skybluepink02
I wonder why? Maybe because of the severe poverty, twins are more likely to be given of than singletons. : Also, aren't twins more common the more children you have? Maybe Africa has more twins because the women tend to have more children than the average American or European.
I just wanted to add that twinning (either identical or fraternal) is highest in women of African decent, and lowest in those of Asian decent, with the rest falling somewhere in the middle. So the reason for more twins is probably partly because of the economic factors, the birth rate and race.
Gotta love college biology, LOL!
#10 of 12 Old 10-24-2008, 12:24 PM

Yes, I adoped twins in the US. I think it is like hitting the lottery. I put that I would take any race, boy or girl or twins and the next thing I know the adpotion agency called and said will you take twins. I said yes of course and the rest is history. I am not aware of agencies that specialize in twins, but twins do cost double so be ready for that. Good Luck!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffani View Post
Hi all,
Does anyone know anything about adopting newborn twins domestically (In Canada or US)? What would be the best way to go about doing this? Do you just specify that you would like to adopt twins and hope that a birthmom chooses you? Or do agencies seek out birthmoms who are having twins and give her your info for consideration?

We have two biokids that would be at least 5 and 7 if and when we adopt, so I'd like to adopt two kids, and what could be better than two at one time!!

Thanks!
#11 of 12 Old 10-24-2008, 02:41 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
The original post is over two years old.

But welcome to MDC.
#12 of 12 Old 10-29-2008, 05:05 AM - Thread Starter

what a difference two years makes!! I saw the title of the post in my email inbox... 'adopting newborn twins'... and I thought, "yeah, good luck with THAT!" and then I realized that *I* was the naive individual who first posted the query!

two years later, I hate to say, we still have no new littles (and our kids are now 7 and 9), newborn, twins, or otherwise. we had signed on for ethiopia, realized we'd not be able to afford it, switched to indy adoption from Zambia, and pulled out of that when we realized it was not going to happen for our family, and we then had to pull out of the adoption race altogether, and just BE for awhile. We're now living in New Zealand for a year or so, and when we return to canada or the US, we'll see what we can do to bring another two newbies into our family. Just today, in my current PMS/just moved to the other side of the globe and still getting settled' state of emotional dishevelledness, I saw a book about africa, and picked it up, like I always do, and had to put it away because it just makes me so sad some days that we weren't able to bring those kids home to us...

ah the innocence of the beginning of the adoption rollercoaster! : thanks for the memories!

and congratulations on your twins!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page