Gift for adoption party - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-23-2006, 02:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a friend/co-worker who's housepartner, who is an aquaintance of mine, (you get all that?) has finally had her daughter's adoption go through. (she was a foster child) The child is 6/7 years old. They are throwing a big bash for her as it has taken 6+ years for this to go through for them. We are invited and I wanted to bring her a little something but I don't know what?! She's the sweetest little girl I know (next to my dd, of course ) and I know that this adoption is HUGE for her. Any ideas/suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2006, 03:42 AM

What a happy occasion!

Maybe a small scrapbook or memory book and a couple of disposable cameras? You and other friends could write notes about how wonderful the girl is or how happy you are to know her and tuck them in the front to get the first few pages started.

A gift certif for a professional photograph to remember the occasion.

One of those mosaic garden stone kits so she could make a little memorial with dates and names for the yard.

A tree to plant.

Help the girl arrange a nice dinner out and overnight hotel stay for the girl to surprise her mom with.

Just a few brainstorming ideas.

wild.gif  kickin' it old school
Old 09-23-2006, 12:20 PM

When we had Em's adoption party my girlfriend gave us a beautiful picture frame. On the bottom it says 'for this child I prayed'. It was my favorite gift. So, maybe a beautiful frame. I loved pp idea of disposable cameras. That is a fun idea. I am sure that anything you choose will be perfect. Have a great time at the party. Congratulations to your friend and her family.
Old 09-26-2006, 06:00 PM

You've gotten somre great suggestions already, but maybe a nice matching mother/daughter piece of jewelry. Congrats to your friend!
Old 09-26-2006, 06:40 PM

My best friend bought my daughter a big teddy bear with a onesie on it that read "A forver famiily" She sleeps with it everynight. Dd also received a book called I am a promise, I am a possibility. She received lots of savings bonds, a picture frame that said "family" with a gift certificate to have a family portrait made. My sister gave us a book about the blessings of adoption and a CD by the Issac Family with a song on it titled, "Hero's". She played the song at the adoption party and there was not a dry eye in the house. The second verse was what got us:

"They tried for many years to have a baby of their own, but God knew a little girl who didn't have a home. Someone else's burden was their blessing in disguise and now she's got a mom and daddy there to hold her when she cries. And he's a hero and she's a hero. It doesn't matter that nobody knows their name. They keep on giving to make life worth living. They might go unnoticed, but their hero's just the same.

We also received a sterling silver dove Christmas Tree Ornament with a ribbon in his mouth reading "grace". That is the middle name we gave our daughter. (not sure where they got a Christmas ornament in the middle of july). She received jewelry, scrapbooking stuff, and a few toys.

Hope this helps.

User Tag List