Foster kids and cloth diapers - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 10-04-2007, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can you do it? Are you allowed to use cloth diapers with foster babies or is it considered "unsanitary" etc. Just wondering. :
#2 of 17 Old 10-04-2007, 04:56 PM

We have used cloth diapers, for the most part. Nobody has ever inquired about the type of diapers we use.

At least one social worker has seen our son (previously our foster son) in cloth on a few different occassions, and he didn't say a thing about it. Same son's paternal birth grandmother complimented us on our use of cloth one day when we met up with her (this likely was after his adoption, though).

At one foster parent picnic we went to, one of the other moms was talking about her search for a good cloth diaper service. She was speaking openly in front of a group that included other foster parents as well as at least one social worker.

We do put the kids in disposables when they are visiting with birthfamily, in large part because birthfamily members often don't know how to "handle" cloth. If you send them in cloth, you risk folks throwing them away, being unable to complete a diaper change, getting upset about it, etc. With one particular social worker who has a bizarre reaction to everything related to children's development, we generally have our kids in disposables when they are with her. Not because we feel it isn't "allowed," (no regulations in our state address this as far as I know), but rather because we don't really want the social worker to get all alarmed. She is the type who would claim something outrageous, like "kids who wear cloth diapers learn to walk late."

I imagine this varies some by where you live.

I'm pro-adoption reform, but not anti-adoption.
#3 of 17 Old 10-04-2007, 07:17 PM

We have had all 3 of our daughters in cloth diapers and we adopted them through fost/adopt. SW's have even commented on how cute they were and as far as I know there are no rules. I agree with Sierra's comments above and wouldn't put a $20 diaper on the child for visitation (if there is visitation) for fear of it being thrown away or the biorelatives not knowing how to deal with cloth. Our situation may also be considered special because all 3 babies were free for adoption at the time of their birth, no reunifications services offered, and they never had visitation with biorelatives.

An incredibly thankful SAH Mommy to 3 fiendishly enchanting girls 11/04,10/05, & 12/06. 

#4 of 17 Old 10-04-2007, 07:55 PM

We didn't use cloth but I don't think it would be a problem at all. I also would only send disposables for visits!

Alicia DH Mike DS Gage Lola & Zeus Fishy Dishy, Charkey and Shark
RIP Sidney 1994-2010 RIP Charlie Brown 2008-2010
#5 of 17 Old 10-04-2007, 08:41 PM

We did use cloth with dd for a while. She has very special diapering needs (due to scare tissue on her bum) and cloth helped her a lot. Social workers and doctors applauded our diapering choices because she went from having a constantly bleeding diaper rash to intact skin after she came home to us.

We did have to stop because the diaper ointment she needs was destroying our diapers. Now that I am pregnant again, I am not sure if I will every be able to strip those old diapers, they were so bad

But cloth did really help her, especially without a cover. I am still a little angry about how everyone accepted that her bum would bleed and no one suggested air time. Grrrrr...
#6 of 17 Old 10-05-2007, 12:38 AM

My baby is still tiny, and my cloth is for babes who are more like 10 lbs and up, so I'm still waiting to use cloth. But I didn't even expect I'd have to ask. I will use them!
#7 of 17 Old 10-05-2007, 11:55 PM

Location: dining at the restaurant at the end of the universe
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
My foster daughter is 6, and uses diapers. Her case worker applauded my use of cloth.

Rhu - mother,grandmother,daughter,sister,friend-foster,adoptive,and biological;not necessarily in that order. Some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way (Jimmy Buffet)

#8 of 17 Old 10-06-2007, 01:55 AM
MCR

I do cloth with fosters, but send sposies to visits as I don't want my cute fluff thrown away.
The social worker knew I cd'd and I would even show her new cute stuff I had bought, she thought it was cool.
#9 of 17 Old 10-07-2007, 02:24 PM

Allowed here in IN I believe. On the clothing allowance form it lists X number of cloth diapers or one box of disposable diapers. I didn't use CD with our bio dd but wish I had and will be trying them out if we get a foster baby.

Mom to ds 10/12 and dd 2/05 ribbonrainbow.gif

Blogging about living with xeroderma pigmentosum at www.pacificnights.org/ and about life in general at http://livingavibrantlife.blogspot.com/
#10 of 17 Old 10-07-2007, 03:29 PM

We used cloth with our last foster daughter, but always put her in disposables for visits, for mainly the reasons stated above.
In our state, we got a certain amount of money per month for diapers, so we just used that to pay for our stash. once the diapers were paid for, then we used the extra for other things for the baby.

We bought bumGenius! OS pockets because we figured they'd be great for fostering babies, because they're one-size.
#11 of 17 Old 10-08-2007, 03:18 AM

We use cloth with our foster baby. I never thought of it as an issue.

Ilaria mamma to Owen, Caroline & Patrick .... loving life as expats in Asia intactlact.gifnovaxnocirc.gifuc.jpgnamaste.gif
#12 of 17 Old 10-08-2007, 08:33 AM

We used cloth with our foster babe. Sposies on her one family visit. Never even thought of it as an issue.

Me.  With 1 spouse, 4 kids, 16 chickens, 74 matchbox cars, 968,562+ legos, a dishwasher waiting to be emptied, a washing machine waiting to be filled and a lost cup of tea in the house.

#13 of 17 Old 10-09-2007, 10:51 PM

We used cloth with our foster babies too. Our newborn foster baby was so much smaller than our bio babies had been, and it was so nice to finally get a chance to use the teeny tiny cloth diapers! And the cloth helped his pants stay up since he was so small for our 0-6 month clothing stash.

As far as I know, the only AP/Natural Family Living things that are NOT "allowed" in foster parenting are co-sleeping in the same bed and breastfeeding (which I guess varies by state). Babywearing is encouraged, cloth diapering is totally fine, and gentle discipline is recommended.

Lex

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 4, 5, 7, 8, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.
#14 of 17 Old 10-10-2007, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexbeach View Post
Babywearing is encouraged
This will vary depending on location.

Quote:
and gentle discipline is recommended.
In WA, at least, gentle discipline when it comes to NOT using physical punishment is not just recommended, but REQUIRED.

#15 of 17 Old 10-10-2007, 05:17 PM

I've heard there's not a problem with it at all.

Newly single, chronically sleep deprived mama to my little wild thang wild.gif, born 11/17/12 

fly-by-nursing1.gif

#16 of 17 Old 10-11-2007, 03:33 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra View Post
In WA, at least, gentle discipline when it comes to NOT using physical punishment is not just recommended, but REQUIRED.
I was looking over my copies of the paperwork i signed for my foster packet, and noticed that on the discipline policy form, not only do FPs have to agree to NOT use any form of corporal punishment on foster children (including spanking), they must agree to not spank their own birth children as well. I thought that was pretty cool (although in practice i doubt they enforce it, because i think i remember our trainer saying that what you choose to do w/ your own kids is your choice, but that they likely won't think its fair that they get spanked and the foster kids don't.)...but its cool that they at least acknowledge that ANY hitting in the FH has a negative impact on all the kids, even "witnesses" (the FC).

Katherine

Katherine, single homeschooling mom to Boy Genius (17) geek.gif  Thing One (6) and Thing Two (6) fencing.gif and one outgoing Girl (12) bikenew.gif and hoping for more through foster care and adoption homebirth.jpgadoptionheart-1.gif 
#17 of 17 Old 10-11-2007, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenjane View Post
I was looking over my copies of the paperwork i signed for my foster packet, and noticed that on the discipline policy form, not only do FPs have to agree to NOT use any form of corporal punishment on foster children (including spanking), they must agree to not spank their own birth children as well. I thought that was pretty cool (although in practice i doubt they enforce it, because i think i remember our trainer saying that what you choose to do w/ your own kids is your choice, but that they likely won't think its fair that they get spanked and the foster kids don't.)...but its cool that they at least acknowledge that ANY hitting in the FH has a negative impact on all the kids, even "witnesses" (the FC).
Yup! It's awesome. I love that.

Of course, there ARE things that you can't do with foster kidos that you could with birth kidos. For example, where I am, you are not allowed to sit on a foster child's bed. Because of abuse histories, the idea is to really reinforce for all children that they have private spaces. And the bed is among those in my county that are protected as such for all foster children. You can't sit on your foster child's bed and read a bedtime story. You need to sit in a chair next to them. Hopefully rather than singling kids out, you'd practice the same kinds of things (in a relaxed manner) for all your kids.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page