A low-cost/nearly free international adoption! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-04-2007, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
This seems almost too good to be true, but this is a very reputable agency.

http://www.wacap.org/FamilyFinders.asp

WACAP has a special program in which the adoptions of older children and children w/ special needs have their adoption fee either completely covered, or greatly subsidized (specific criteria is on their webpage.)

They also have loans available to help cover the travel costs.

I just thought that was cool, and thought maybe someone here who thinks "I can't afford an international adoption!" might want to look into it.

They also have US Waiting Child and African-American Infant programs.

Katherine

Katherine, single homeschooling mom to Boy Genius (17) geek.gif  Thing One (6) and Thing Two (6) fencing.gif and one outgoing Girl (12) bikenew.gif and hoping for more through foster care and adoption homebirth.jpgadoptionheart-1.gif 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2007, 04:02 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We used WACAP for both of our adoptions, and think very highly of them.
Old 11-13-2007, 01:29 PM

thanks

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
Old 11-13-2007, 02:20 PM

its a shame they dont have something like that here in the UK....or do they?

Mummy me : > Thats Ann! and my beautiful SONS Duncanand Hamish 19/09/05 & 22/04/10!
Old 11-13-2007, 03:15 PM

you might contact -- via e-mail -- the adgency here int eh US . They MIGHT know if there are any UK adgencies working with them, or working on the same isues .... if they share an orphangae or something they MIGHT know about them .... or they might be able to tell you how to go about finding soemthing int eh UK ... can't hurt to ask

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
Old 11-13-2007, 11:07 PM

While not an adoption agency Brittany's Hope sponsors waiting children. The sponsorships are significant anywhere from $2K - $10K; thus, reducing the adoption fees for parents.

http://www.brittanyshope.org/waiting.html
Old 11-14-2007, 12:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by m9m9m9 View Post
While not an adoption agency Brittany's Hope sponsors waiting children. The sponsorships are significant anywhere from $2K - $10K; thus, reducing the adoption fees for parents.

http://www.brittanyshope.org/waiting.html
:

I shouldnt have looked at that link! Soooo many beautiful kids, i wish i could take them all. Man. Lots of kids with Down Syndrome too.

I did see one baby on the Vietnam page who appears to have Dwarfism, and i emailed The Coalition for Dwarf Advocacy (a group started by Matt Roloff and Marty Klebba amongst others and was featured on "Little People,Big World") to see if perhaps they knew of someone who would love to adopt this adorable boy.

Katherine

Katherine, single homeschooling mom to Boy Genius (17) geek.gif  Thing One (6) and Thing Two (6) fencing.gif and one outgoing Girl (12) bikenew.gif and hoping for more through foster care and adoption homebirth.jpgadoptionheart-1.gif 
Old 11-14-2007, 02:27 AM

Thanks for Sharing
Old 11-14-2007, 12:53 PM

WACAP is excellent for low cost, special needs adoptions. But, please remember these are children with significant special needs. As much as I personally adore special needs adoption and advocate for special needs children (we're in our third special needs adoption currently), no one should enter this arena merely to save money. I've seen far too many naive families step into special needs adoption to do good or to save money and find themselves completely overwhelmed by the needs the children they adopt.

When doing special needs adoption, your primary focus should not be what will this cost but can I make a positive impact on this child's life. Can I make a difference for this child and provide them with the resources they need to flourish in life. If your answer is no, then you should unabashedly not adopt under such circumstances, not even for the price break that special needs adoptions bring and not even because of the dire need for families willing to love and nuture these children.
Old 11-14-2007, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornelia View Post
WACAP is excellent for low cost, special needs adoptions. But, please remember these are children with significant special needs. As much as I personally adore special needs adoption and advocate for special needs children (we're in our third special needs adoption currently), no one should enter this arena merely to save money. I've seen far too many naive families step into special needs adoption to do good or to save money and find themselves completely overwhelmed by the needs the children they adopt.
Oh i absolutely agree with you....one should never choose a specific program just because its "cheaper"....however, from what i've read of the WACAP program, they are *not* all kids with "significant special needs"....for their Kazakhstan and Russia program, the special need is being an older boy, an even older girl, or part of a sib group where one of the kids is older. Of course, being an older orphan often means the child does have significant emotional needs, but not always. I would think that the risks arent much different than adopting an older child from the US foster care system (except if you adopt from the US you likely have alot more social and medical history, which might make a big difference.)

What i find sad about links like the one posted above(photolisting of waiting kids)....there are lots of very young children/babies posted whose special needs consist of Down Syndrome, or blindness, or missing a limb....issues that would likely NOT cause the child to wait long here in the U.S. I'm on some special needs adoption lists, and there are usually many families eager to adopt special needs infants, who cannot afford to pay tens of thousands of dollars to do so.

One reason (among many reasons i suppose)that i couldnt consider such children at this time, is that i don't have private insurance, and it seems that most of these kids will need good, involved medical care for much of their lives.

Katherine

Old 11-14-2007, 06:29 PM

Quote:
One reason (among many reasons i suppose)that i couldnt consider such children at this time, is that i don't have private insurance, and it seems that most of these kids will need good, involved medical care for much of their lives.
See...we have NHS in this country. They would be taken care of.

Mummy me : > Thats Ann! and my beautiful SONS Duncanand Hamish 19/09/05 & 22/04/10!
Old 11-14-2007, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornelia

Oh i absolutely agree with you....one should never choose a specific program just because its "cheaper"....however, from what i've read of the WACAP program, they are *not* all kids with "significant special needs"....for their Kazakhstan and Russia program, the special need is being an older boy, an even older girl, or part of a sib group where one of the kids is older. Of course, being an older orphan often means the child does have significant emotional needs, but not always. I would think that the risks arent much different than adopting an older child from the US foster care system (except if you adopt from the US you likely have alot more social and medical history, which might make a big difference.)
I agree totally -- I would only add that "special need" has no real set standard meaning, or "degree" .......... frequently the "special need" is that they are older, been waiting longer or part of a sib set. Granteed older children, kids in care longer, or kids that are part of sib set WILL have differnt and / or additional needs to your "run of the mill" ( as if such a thing exisits anyway ) infant adoption .............. but that "special need" may not be any more extream, or any differnt than many other kids NOT labled as SN ...... and within the realm of special needs .. there are various degrees, some controlable or correctable ithe medical care, some life long ....

However i totally agree SN is a special situation, and we should exam our hearts and see if we are able to be open to that specail situation ... if we can then we should do so ..... but given differnt families, some great and wonderful families are not going to be in a place to do so -- and they do the most good for all involved to admit that.

and it is my limited understanding that the fees can sometimes be reduced for a SN adoption -- be it a sib set, or a medal need, or whatever -- due tot he fact that there might be more $ needed to care for that child once they are home, and also to seepd the process up to get the kids the care they may really need.

I am innocent enough-- and i am NOT very innocent -- to believe people do not bargain shop for adoptions ... yues we all take into account the cost, as we want the most to spend on them when we get them home, and also we have to take into account the $ and if we do it now, next year or in 3 years ..... but i do not think anyone would ever really adopt a high needs child they diodn't really feel able to care for to save a few bucks

Aimee

Old 11-18-2007, 05:14 PM

Absolutely true that 'special needs' is a catch all phrase and can mean anything under the sun. But, with WACAP specifically, the no cost adoptions are called Promise Children. And, they always have significant issues, most commonly medical issues. Its not a bad thing. One of our sons was actually represented by WACAP, which I discovered when friends told us they saw him in their WACAP newsletter because we weren't adopting through WACAP. He had significant medical issues and was not a Promise Child. The adoption grant our agency had available was equivelant to the grant WACAP had on him (too bad they wouldn't pool their resources and help us further, as his was the most costly adoption and he still carries the most costly medical costs).

I have several friends who have adopted both special needs through WACAP and Promise Children, the ones with the completely covered adoption costs through WACAP. The Promise Children have WAY more needs than the normal special needs kids. And yes, sometimes that merely means they have waited longer for a family. But, longer in institutional care IS more issues to address and deal with.
Old 11-19-2007, 04:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornelia View Post
Absolutely true that 'special needs' is a catch all phrase and can mean anything under the sun. But, with WACAP specifically, the no cost adoptions are called Promise Children. And, they always have significant issues, most commonly medical issues.
(snip)
I have several friends who have adopted both special needs through WACAP and Promise Children, the ones with the completely covered adoption costs through WACAP. The Promise Children have WAY more needs than the normal special needs kids. And yes, sometimes that merely means they have waited longer for a family. But, longer in institutional care IS more issues to address and deal with.
I'm not with WACAP, so all i can go by is what was listed in one of their emails, which was:

In an effort to continue to remove the financial barriers for children who wait for families in Russia and Kazakhstan, WACAP has Waiting Child subsidy funds available to families who adopt:

A boy age 3- or 4-years-old
A girl age 7- to 9-years-old
A sibling group of two girls both age 7 or older

Waiting Child subsidy funds are also available to cover a portion of the adoption fees for a family committed to the adoption of a child with:

missing/shortened limbs
club foot
dwarfism
arthrogyrposis
spina bifida
cerebral palsy
HIV
severe facial deformity
reproductive special need
a significant congenital heart condition requiring surgery

It seems, going by the wording in this email alone, that they view age as one kind of "special need" and medical issues (such as those listed above)as another kind of special need...and that the older children whose adoptions may be subsidized don't necessarily have additional issues (other than being older) that make them harder to place. They do have younger "Promise Children" (as well as older ones)who have significant medical issues...but it seemed to me that they are also including relatively healthy, but "older" Russian and Kazahk children in this "special needs" catagory in order to place more of them. I might be wrong, though.

If a PAP was wanting to adopt a non-baby from one of these two countries anyway, it might be worth checking out.

Katherine

Old 11-19-2007, 03:48 PM

WACAP has 2 subsidy levels. They have waiting child subsidies in all of their waiting children. And, honestly that is not uncommon. Holt, Bethany, Spence-Chapin, AIAA, Pearl S. Buck, Gladney and many others have a waiting child subsidy program which typically does include older children. Basically, the larger and more established an adoption agency, the more likely they offer subsidies for waiting children.

What is different about WACAP is their Promise Child program. I don't know of any other programs which cover 100% of the agency fees on waiting children, even those with significant special needs. When you adopt a promise child, you are still responsible for your homestudy, dossier and travel costs. But, all of your fees associated with WACAP are covered. Its just that those children are also those with significant needs and not merely Waiting children.

WACAP also has a program to help offset the costs of adopting from Russia in relation to the travel costs Russia requires now. A good friend *just* brought her little one home through that program, so I haven't had a chance to ask her how helpful it was. But, given how costly travel to Russia twice costs, every bit helps in those adoptions these days.
Old 12-18-2007, 04:30 PM

:

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

Old 12-18-2007, 11:11 PM - Thread Starter

I just found out that in addition to Russia and Kaz. for the full grant....Ethiopia has now been added as well...so 3 and 4 yr old Ethiopian boys are now eligible for the grant, in addition to older girls and certain sib groups.....yay! If i were going w/ this program i would FAR prefer to adopt from Ethiopia (my #1 choice!) than the other countries listed, so this makes it even a more attractive option for me in the future. I was so excited by this news.

Katherine

Old 01-13-2008, 10:42 PM

I'm currently in the process of adopting through WACAP. I'm in the very beginning stage - I just filled out my application tonight. Our homestudy is almost complete. We have one adopted son (age 13, age 4 when we got him). We also have triplets, 2 of whom have Cerebral Palsy. We are specifically looking to adopt a Promise Child, but we are considering the subsidy assistance children as well, since we don't want to rule out other conditions like cerebral palsy. My heart definitely leans towards a child or sibling group w/CP or a child with Down's Syndrome.

I did not know that Ethiopia was on the Promise Child/Subsidy list! Katherine, I'm totally new to international adoptions. My oldest son was adopted through the US. Could you share your experience of adopting from Ethiopia with me? We've been looking at Russia & Kaz, because we thought those were our only two options. Now you have me interested in Ethiopia!

Thanks for any advice, stories, etc that you'd like to share. My hubby & I are so excited to be on this new adoption journey!!
Old 01-13-2008, 11:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaOf2+Triplets View Post
Katherine, I'm totally new to international adoptions. My oldest son was adopted through the US. Could you share your experience of adopting from Ethiopia with me? We've been looking at Russia & Kaz, because we thought those were our only two options. Now you have me interested in Ethiopia!

Thanks for any advice, stories, etc that you'd like to share. My hubby & I are so excited to be on this new adoption journey!!
Actually, i havent adopted internationally....but if i could, i would adopt from Ethiopia, its always been my dream.

I just found out Friday that i've been matched with an 8 (or 9, sw couldnt remember)boy....his foster home is just a few miles from our home!!!...i havent posted about it, because its still totally unofficial (TPR will probably go through next month, and then they will give me more info...)...i've been waiting so long (over a year)i never thought it would happen. This agency has matched me, and my new homestudy isnt done yet....they are so fast, i'm so impressed.

Good luck! I'm sure others here who've actually done international will have more info for you. There are some moms here who've adopted from Ethiopia.

Katherine

Old 01-14-2008, 04:25 AM

Congratulations to everyone just entering programs!

I'm going to say this as kindly as possible in an attempt to maybe help some families avoid a few of the pitfalls we experienced with WACAP. They have loving, kind people there. No question about it. They are generally professional and, I believe, truly genuine in their love for children and their work.

HOWEVER, we had all sorts of trouble with paperwork from start to finish, from simply acquiring a complete application packet all the way up through a VERY expensive finalization process that was a direct result of the agency dropping the ball time and time and time again. I believe a lot of these troubles stem from some very real staffing shortages but even when the reasons are legitimate, the frustration and stress that can result is overwhelming.

I'd just encourage families to appreciate the strengths--personable, invested staff--and be eagle-eyed when it comes to paperwork and timelines. Especially the stuff you think is being done on your behalf (ie, compiling of homestudy documents, etc.)

I've talked to people who had NO trouble whatsoever, and I've spoken with people who had experiences that parallel ours. I'm not trying to badmouth them or convince anyone not to use them--I'd just like to maybe prepare those entering the process to be extra vigilant when it comes to monitoring paperwork and maybe you can avoid some pitfalls. We ultimately had a successful adoption, but the experience was very, very rocky at a very basic level. If anyone needs specifics, feel free to pm me.

Congratulations to everyone in the process! I'm sure you'll find the people you work with every bit as kind and personally invested as we did!
Old 02-20-2008, 08:37 PM

Katherine,

Congratulations on being matched already!! That is so exciting. Which placing agency are you going through? How long do you expect it will take before your son will come home, and are you adopting domestically? Sorry so many questions... I'm just new to this exciting and yet intimidating adoption process!! My oldest son we adopted, but it was through the foster care system, which was much easier and didn't cost us a penny! LOL. This has been a totally different experience for us, but hubby and I both feel so led by God to adopt internationally this time, and unfortunately the foster-care system here in our part of TN has a horrible reputation. I don't think we'd be able to adopt through them even if we wanted to - I hear from people in the community that they are notorious for returning children home to abusive families and horrible enviroments. Foster parents aren't even given a voice in the process, let alone the chance to adopt! So sad

Anyhow, I'm anxious to here more about your adoption...

Curvyred, thank you for sharing your experience with us. I'd love to hear more, I'll send you a PM! For us, we decided on WACAP b/c we were told they are the best agency for those of us who want to adopt special needs children... I'm all about learning as much as I can, though, and appreciate you sharing both the good and bad!!
Old 02-14-2014, 03:39 AM

me and my husband would like to adopt a mix race baby 

User Tag List