Name opinions, please! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 89 Old 02-18-2008, 08:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOakMomma View Post
I love Moira, and I've been looking at it for years (it's been on the list for each child), but....I don't know if I have the, er, cohones. It's such an unusual name, with such unusual sounds. The "MOY" part is really a mouthfull. Plus I know an adult Moira that now goes by "Mo," which would not be my favorite outcome.
Now I see Moira as "mwa-ra", rather than the OI sound. Maybe that's all my years of French class coming out. Not sure I would like the mouthful feeling of Moy-ra either.

Isn't this fun?

We weren't final with our dd's name until referral either. We had a name picked out (our oldest ds actually suggested it) but we wanted to know her Chinese name and have a picture before that final decision. After our referral we headed out to Borders to look name books and figure out how we wanted the name spelled (the original version had an accent which we did not want).
#62 of 89 Old 02-18-2008, 08:23 PM

As the original Brittany from back in the sixties (I'm really not that old), I feel your pain. I acutally hated that my name became popular in the 80s and I had a unique maiden name so it was SWEET. We're adopting soon, and we've had the same dilemma. We want something not too popular but not too crazy with phonetic spelling to make it "creative" . This is a BIG pet peeve of mine. We just went with...dare I tell you??

Laila Maya...TADA!

I so don't think the Clapton this is that much of a BFD. DH thinks so. My rationale is that Claption and that song will be so classic that our kid won't come across it until late teens/early adulthood.

I would have preferred something a bit more unique but couldn't get DH on that train...a nice compromise no?

To answer the OP, how about something interesting...Cybele?

Good luck!
#63 of 89 Old 02-19-2008, 04:14 AM

heh, i love the name layla because of the clapton song.

Mama to Jet 6/05, Marvel 8/06 and Cash and Fox 2/09
Expecting Ada Marianne 11/14
#64 of 89 Old 02-19-2008, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja-belly View Post
heh, i love the name layla because of the clapton song.

That's what I was going to say! Awesome name! We all have to get our inspiration from somewhere!
#65 of 89 Old 02-21-2008, 04:01 PM

What the...?!?! Evelyn is getting more popular? I had no clue! We named my DD that two years ago because it is easy to say in both Spanish and English, and we caught SO much flack for it being "an old woman's name". Most English-speaking family has called her Evie (two different pronunciations) because they can't get over the old-lady name thing.

Argh. Well, can we say that we started the trend?

ETA: Evelyn used to be a boy's name?

Mi vida loca: full-time WOHM, frugalista, foodie wannabe, 10+ years of TCOYF 

R-E-S-P-E-C-T spells BRAND NEW User Agreement!!

#66 of 89 Old 02-23-2008, 08:58 AM

As someone who had a Madeline three years ago...it's not that bad to have a child with a popular name, especially when the name is a classic. Like Evelyn. I think just because something is popular doesn't automatically make it trendy.

Madeline is my grandmothers name, so it's a family name for us.

Evelyn will be her aunts name! So now it's a family name for you.
#67 of 89 Old 02-23-2008, 09:23 AM

I just saw this on new posts and didn't read the whole thread but had to say this, my daughters name is very popular now, when I was pregnant I had the same situation, we had decided what our girls name was going to be and we were super attached when I happened across a top names list and was very dissapointed to see it on there and predicted to rise.
My daughter is now 2 and using that baby name map site her name is in the top 50 but a very common variation on it is in the top 5.
Now people do constantly mess up her name which is annoying but I have never met another child with either variation of the name even though they are very popular.

I read a site that made me feel better about this, I can't remember what it was, but basically it explained that the popular names used to be a lot more popular (so you would end up with 2 or 3 jennifers or jessicas in the same class) but now the popular names are not as popular as the popular names used to be Does that make sense? I would give you exact numbers (baby name wizard tracks popularity of names through time) but I can't get it to load but for example say in 1983 1 in 100 kids was named jennifer and it was #1 (this is made up because i can't get the real stats to load). Now in 2008 say Emily is #1 only 1 in 300 kids would be named Emily. Something along those lines. I hope that made sense.
#68 of 89 Old 02-23-2008, 09:56 AM

I have to agree with the people who are distinguishing between popular and trendy. I have a popular name, that became popular after I had, DS has a popular name that was at the height of it's popularity when I gave it to him, but neither of us have a trendy name, a name that marks us as born in a certain year or a certain decade, or a name that we were given thinking it would be "Fresh" or "unusual". Instead we have classic names that have gone up and down in popularity but have never disappeared.

I'd also say that I think of all 3 or your boys names, and your name too are in that category. Does that bother you? Do you regret what you chose for you them? If not I'd say go with Evelyn, it's a lovely name and will always be a classic.
#69 of 89 Old 02-23-2008, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter

I think we might have found another name we like as much as Evelyn...but I'm not sure others will think it's as great as we do.

We're thinking of naming her Ellena. (El-eh-na)

It has a similar sound shape to Evelyn (Same soft-E start, three syllables, soft sounds) but I think I prefer it because it's free of the "lyn" that's so popular these days. It's also the British pronunciation of Elinor/Eleanor, which I've always loved. The sounds of it are beautiful to me.

It's a very rare name, of English/Italian/Greek origin (depending on where you look). It's also a rare surname in France and Italy. Name sites say it's derived from Helene (her great grandmother's name), and it means "light" or "shining sun."

I've done a lot of searching on youtube, and it seems that people with the name Ellena are about 2/3 or more "El-eh-na" and 1/3 or less "eh-LAY-nah." No one weird/famous is named Ellena (a bonus )...there's a Jean-Claude Ellena that is a perfumer for Hermes, a Greek pop star with the first name Ellena, and a (I think obscure?) video game character named Ellena. I know it'll be a hassle at times to have a name that needs pronunciation clarification, but we love the name...

It's not a sure thing, but it's definitely tied with Evelyn and Elinor. We had "Elena" on the top of our list at one point, but got rid of it because everyone pronounced it "eh-LAY-na"...I think Ellena will be a little more obvious.

As for Evelyn, we're feeling better about the option of using it. It IS popular, and getting even more popular every year in this region, but what someone wrote is right--.23% of girls born in the US in 2006 were Evelyns. With the popularity at a quarter of 1%, it's not likely she'll be one of several Evelyns in her class.

RedOak ~ Momma to DS (8) , DS (4) , DD (3) , & DD 9/10 ~
#70 of 89 Old 02-23-2008, 08:35 PM

I like Ellena. Very pretty.

Have you thought about Hazel?

dm

ETA: Have you considered the spelling Elenna? It looks more like a name in its own right and less like Ellen-with-an-a-on-the-end.
#71 of 89 Old 02-23-2008, 10:20 PM

When we named our dd over 15 yrs ago it wasn't a name most folks had experience with. Now, it's more popular.

Names goes in cycles.

A name like Evelyn was super- popular many decades ago, and is cycling through these days because there are men and women of childbeaing age who might be trying to connect with their past and long-dead relatives.
#72 of 89 Old 02-23-2008, 10:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharmamama View Post
ETA: Have you considered the spelling Elenna? It looks more like a name in its own right and less like Ellen-with-an-a-on-the-end.

: I've been cheating on all of you. I went to the "I'm pregnant" forum (where else are so many people obsessed with names and naming trends? ) and asked about "Elena" and also how to spell "El-en-uh." I needed numbers!

I know Ellena is imperfect as it's spelled (I totally know what you mean), but I want a name that's an actual name--not something with a made-up spelling. Plus I think having "Ellen" as so obvious a part of the name is what helps people pronounce it correctly. I suppose, if she wanted, she could also go by "Ellen" as a nickname.

And ....honestly, the more you say "Hazel," the more normal it's starting to sound (which is a good thing for me). It's definitely not off our list!

#73 of 89 Old 02-23-2008, 10:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by UUMom View Post
A name like Evelyn was super- popular many decades ago, and is cycling through these days because there are men and women of childbeaing age who might be trying to connect with their past and long-dead relatives.
Yeah...Evelyn peaked in the 1920's (it was one of the most popular names), I think, so right now a lot of people are naming their little girls after grandmothers. My name-stealing step niece was named after her great grandmother Evelyn.

#74 of 89 Old 02-23-2008, 11:10 PM

Elenna, while perhaps not a "real" name, is Tolkien-related, if that helps you any.

dm

Ps. A friend of mine in Belgium has a daughter named Arlena. They pronounce it ar-LEN-ah. I really like it pronounced ar-LEEN-ah.
#75 of 89 Old 02-23-2008, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Yeah...Evelyn peaked in the 1920's (it was one of the most popular names), I think, so right now a lot of people are naming their little girls after grandmothers. My name-stealing step niece was named after her great grandmother Evelyn.

One of my cousins was far more fertile than I, and named her dd Alexandra which was our g-g grandmother's name. She had as much 'right' to the name as I did...which means...equal. She was just spilling out good eggs and I wasn't. Her dd is a sweet Alexandra and really does the name justice, imo.

What about Ava? Or Eve? My first child came a long a couple of years after my cousin's Alexandra, but my child was a boy. I would have used Alexandra had he been a girl, as I wasn't worried that she had taken it. It meant something to both of us, and was a good, strong and classic name. The relative would have been tickled, i think.

You should give your child a name that means something to you. What does it matter that a family name that touches your soul isn't 'unique'?
#76 of 89 Old 02-24-2008, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharmamama View Post
I'll one-up you. Here's dm's official coming out ...

My name is Daneille, and I LOATHE it.
Wow! I am in shock. You think you know someone
#77 of 89 Old 02-24-2008, 09:11 AM

Quote:
I think we might have found another name we like as much as Evelyn...but I'm not sure others will think it's as great as we do.

We're thinking of naming her Ellena. (El-eh-na)
Wow, I love that!! Very beautiful.

We are 99/9% sure that our new little one is going to be Hope. That isn't even a name we were thinking about, but then it came out of dh's mouth yesterday morning (as we were recovering from the shock of being matched) and we were both like "YES!"

My point is that when a name is right, you just feel it. And it seems like Ellena feels right to you.
#78 of 89 Old 02-24-2008, 12:19 PM

I think Ellena is beautiful, but it doesn't feel that "real" to me. I'm the same way about wanting real names that you are. I also think plenty of people are going to look at it and say "El Lay Nuh".

A similar name that definitely feels real to me and is easier to pronounce, IMO, is Helena. I love Helena which I'd pronounce the way you're pronouncing Ellena but with an H in front.
#79 of 89 Old 02-25-2008, 11:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momily View Post
I think Ellena is beautiful, but it doesn't feel that "real" to me. I'm the same way about wanting real names that you are.
I know the feeling about it not being real, but it is. It's a surname and a first name that I've seen in historical documents going back before the 1600s. It's always been a first name for women, just always very rare. You can pop "Ellena" and any year...let's say "1756" into Google and you'll come up with lists and lists of various "Ellena"s. I love that it's an old name. When I was growing up with "Elisabeth," I loved looking at all the old queens and historical figures with that name...it had a great antique feel to it.

Of course, when I mentioned to my dad over the weekend that we were thinking of "Ellena," he gave me a look and said "well, I knew and Eleanor that I liked." The obvious implication being "ewwwwww."

I still like it. I'm thinking it might be *the name*??

#80 of 89 Old 02-25-2008, 11:24 PM

My DH is Greek and his cousin is named Elena (the same way you pronounce it). My daughter is Eliana (pronounced Elle-ee-ahna). I like the spelling Elena better than Ellena. People might pronounce it wrong but you just correct them. Everyone pronounces Eliana's name Elle-ee-anna and I always have to correct them. Its not a big deal. As for popular names we named our other daughter Olivia 5 years ago. We had chosen the name years before when we were dating and it just felt like her name. But by then it was soooo popular. I thought that would be a big deal but it hasnt really been. Yes we hear other Olivia's but not as many as we thought we would. Plus she's OUR Olivia, so to us her name just fits. Have you heard any more news about when you will be matched?

Shawna, married to Michael, mommy to Elijah 1/18/01, Olivia 11/9/02, and Eliana 1/22/06
#81 of 89 Old 02-25-2008, 11:25 PM

My DH is Greek and his cousin is named Elena (the same way you pronounce it). My daughter is Eliana (pronounced Elle-ee-ahna). I like the spelling Elena better than Ellena. People might pronounce it wrong but you just correct them. Everyone pronounces Eliana's name Elle-ee-anna and I always have to correct them. Its not a big deal. As for popular names we named our other daughter Olivia 5 years ago. We had chosen the name years before when we were dating and it just felt like her name. But by then it was soooo popular. I thought that would be a big deal but it hasnt really been. Yes we hear other Olivia's but not as many as we thought we would. Plus she's OUR Olivia, so to us her name just fits. Have you heard any more news about when you will be matched?

Shawna, married to Michael, mommy to Elijah 1/18/01, Olivia 11/9/02, and Eliana 1/22/06
#82 of 89 Old 02-25-2008, 11:25 PM

#83 of 89 Old 02-25-2008, 11:25 PM

#84 of 89 Old 02-25-2008, 11:25 PM

#85 of 89 Old 02-25-2008, 11:25 PM

#86 of 89 Old 02-25-2008, 11:25 PM

#87 of 89 Old 02-26-2008, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter

Is Ellena really all that odd looking or ugly? The more I look at it and speak it, the more I like it. I've been doing a lot of internet research and it seems to be separate name than Elena in a lot of ways. If you go back to the 1600s and up through the 1800s (or even before), you'll find that Ellena was a British/English name, while Elena was a name in Spain and (somewhat) in Italy. From what I can gather, you rarely see "Elena" used in English-speaking countries until very recently. They're both very old names, but Ellena is less used today.

I like the British version quite a bit, and I like that it's a old name with a slightly antiquated spelling. I hope I'm not looking at it so much that it looks beautiful to me but dopey to others. Eek.

Plus the nicknames are a little more obvious...it's been fun looking at ancestry charts, because some of them list nicknames. Ellenas seem to have been Ella, Ellen, Ellie, Elle, and (possibly the cutest) Elsie. I've even seen some Ellenas nicknamed "Nora," though that seems a stretch.

#88 of 89 Old 02-26-2008, 04:13 PM

I think Ellena is cute. I like it better than Elena or Helena (which I would pronounce Hel-LAY-na anyway). I have cousin named Eleni, which I also think is very pretty -- could be another nickname for Ellena, though it is a name in its own right.
#89 of 89 Old 02-26-2008, 04:27 PM

Quote:
I hope I'm not looking at it so much that it looks beautiful to me but dopey to others.
I don't think it looks dopey, but I do think that it looks like you just slapped an A at the end of Ellen. While it may be a name in its own right, with a long history, to me it looks like Ellen-with-an-a-at-the-end. To me, Elenna looks more like a "real" and not "made-up" name, even though apparently it's not.

We had a similar situation when naming Ramona. We really wanted to name her Violet, but Violet combined with our last name sounded to me like "violent murder." I couldn't get it out of my head. About half the people I asked agreed with me; half agreed with my husband, thinking it wasn't a problem.

In the end I just couldn't do it, so we picked a different name (Ramona is a pseudonym, although it was my first choice name, which dh shot down).

I think you should do what makes YOU happy and not worry too much about what other people think.

dm

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page