I am AImee and DH is Scott. I am 36 and he is 42 so we have some concerns about ageing out of some adoption programs (IA).
We have two biological children-- both boys.
We KNOW we will adopt, and have known so since before we were married -- it is all a question of time, with out ages -- we didn't meet till i was 31 and he 37 so that really effected out family planning
. We would like a decent sized family -- 4 or 5 would be great, at least 3 (I do not call even 5 a large family)
in 2004 we had picked a program (India,) and were working on the application to the adgency when Scott's mom went into the hospital, we spent a lot of time there and didn't get stuff mailed off
then we found out we were pregant with Theo (AMA, we weren't supposed to be
). After that we choose to have another biological child quickly (we started TTC when Theo was 9 months) so that Theo would have a sib close in age, something we could not be sure of with adoption. Charles is now 4 months old.
Our current plan is -- pay down debt and in April of 09 (scott's birthday) we will start the paper work for an IA. We are not set yet on adgecy or counrty (leaning towards Ethiopia). That is the reasech i need to get my butt in gear on.
We hope to be able to adopt a sib set with the youngest being around 2 or 3. But we will see what God has in store for us. We are also open to medical special needs in the mild to moderate area. We have a real struggle with having to / getting to "choose" what we will and will not be open to -- this is a hard thing for us.
From 94 to 00 I worked in a group home (a group foster home) in KS. 12 kids, and 3 adults -- a couple and myself -- living in the house with them. all our kids were eligiable for traditonal foster care (most of them anyway) but there were not enough homes, some were either transitions out of care to go home (the orginal family unit), or out of the hosptial into a family setting. We (our house specifically as we were an excellent team and worked successfully with a lot of kids that had many failed placements) were also a "last stop" before teh hsoptial from some kids who had some pretty serious mental health issues and had not been successful in trational foster homes (not enough therpitic homes avaibel). I was full time, live in, for a long time, then i transitioned to "reliefe" (I would work with the parents would go on time off) for a while while working at a school also.
from 00 to 03 I worked at an emerency shelter in MO ... we had everything -- kids came to us whent hey were taken out of the house, kids came to us when thei parents were arrested at 2 am ... and so on.
I have trained for, and works oh so beiefly, a domestic hot-line and woman's shelter. (I did that, then i got the offer for the emerency shelter or for kids and switched)
ETA: we DO live in a very rural White area of Iowa (a very White state to start with). But we are confident in our ablity to parent a AA child or a child with a differnt hertiage than ours. Adoption is pretty much an accepted given in our "circle".
- My bestfreinds dad and uncle were adopted in the 50's (from foster care, both had been very abused).
- My Aunt has 2 adopted daughters (after 4 biological sons) one adopted at birth whom she attempted to re-lactate for and one adopted under 2 from China.
- I have freinds who adopted a bi-racial baby (the bio child of one of our foster kids) from the foster system.
- We have a copule we are freinds with in Russia NOW for court on the 12th for thier daugher (14 months now, 9 months or 10 at match).
- We have anonther couple from small group at church (the Pastor is in Russia) who adopted a boy from the forster care system when he was like 3 or 4, he is 17 now (and an PR and AA mix) and their daughter they adopted from Russia at 2 or 3 and she is 12 (they also have a biological suprise who is 4).
- I have a freind at an old job who has adopted from India twice, both older boys"
- one of Scott's work contacts he works with a lot has two boys -- biol brothers -- adopted from Liberia they are now like 8 adn 10 and have been home quite a while.
I am soooooooooooooooooooooo glad you started this thread -- I have tought something like this would be perfect -- then no one has to tell their whole story over and over -- when someone posts, we can check here for any background we don't remember!!!! Excellent and THANKS