Mothering Forum banner

Intro (Glad this forum is here!)

906 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  bartleby 
#1 ·
I had no idea Mothering had an adoption forum. This is great!

My husband and I are very recently officially in our agency's "pool." We're doing a domestic open adoption with Open Adoption & Family Services out of Portland, though we went through the Seattle office. (Can't miss the opportunity to hype the agency. We think they are just so good at what they do.)

I'm excited and terrified to get "the call." Every time the phone rings lately, my heart starts pounding. (A big thank you to the "wrong number" guy who called a few minutes ago! Don't do that to me again!) We said we were open to a newborn or up to six months, and we are open to a mixed-race child. We have no idea how long our wait could be. (Part of me actually hopes we don't get picked too soon. I need time to get used to the idea that I'll be a parent in the near [I hope] future.)

I hope to hang around here now and then. Good luck to all of you!

#4 ·
bartleby - congrats on being with OASF! That's the same agency we used - we LOVED them!!!! Our wait was just under 9 months - we got a few "pre-screening" calls during that time. None of those situations seemed right for us, except one, and that bmom chose a different family to place with. Which is just fine, because we got the perfect daughter for us! I truely believe we get the children ment for us. Our neighbors went through OASF twice and their wait was short both times. The first time they waited 6 weeks, the second time 8 weeks! They didn't have anything ready when they got a last minute call with their first dd! Had to stop at a store and buy a car seat on the way up to the hospital!!! We too had a last minute call - less than 24 hrs.! Talk about an adreinalin rush! You're in great hand - enjoy all of these last days as a parentless couple! It will all change soon enough!!! If someone had said that to me before dd arrived, I'd have thought them crazy - but now I see the wisdom in it. Go out to eat, go to movies, do any projects you've been thinking about but haven't gotten around to. That first year or two you don't get much done! Our dd's almost 2 1/2 now, and while we do go out to dinner with her, we haven't been out to a movie or music in all that time! Best wishes!!!

#5 ·
Thanks to everyone for the welcome! Yes, it's a strange place to be in--knowing that my life could change in an instant with one phone call!

steph, I'm glad to hear you had a positive experience with the agency as well. We really only looked at one other agency before deciding on OA. They say the average wait is 9 months, but every adoptive couple I've met through the agency has waited quite a bit less time than that. One couple we met at an infant-care class got a screening call the day after they'd dropped off all of their final paperwork! So far, no calls for us yet, but it hasn't even been a week.

I look forward to reading everyone's words of wisdom in this forum. (It'll be a nice contrast to the unsolicited words of wisdom my mother and mother-in-law are already giving me. Argh! :))

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.