I am outside the sandbox : ( - Mothering Forums

#1 of 8 Old 10-21-2008, 10:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We are finally working with a therapist who seems to have a handle on J's problems. So things are looking up

But today we met with her for the sort of monthly just parents meeting. She told us about an activity that she did with J. The therapist asked J to choose an animal from a box to represent each member of her family. Then she asked to to arrange them in a sandbox. She saved the sandbox to show us. Four animals were clustered in the middle and a sheep was far off in the corner of the box. The therapist told us that J said the animals in the middle were J, her brother and sister and her biological sister. The sheep in the corner was her dad. She also placed a cow on the bookshelf very far from the sandbox. That was me : (

At first I found it comical that she expressed her issues with me that way. But the more I think about it, the sadder I am. But I am working to get back into the sandbox!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 10-22-2008, 07:52 AM

Did the therapist ask why she put you over on the book shelf?
Maybe it is because you are watching over her. and she feels safe wither siblings in middle of sand box because dad is in the corner and you are watching like an eagle so nothing can harm her.
i know it is hard to keep positive. we are so quick to believe the worst especially when it pertains to ourselves.
#3 of 8 Old 10-22-2008, 01:48 PM

Oh, that would hurt me too. I'm so sorry. I hope that, maybe, her being able express these feelings safely will bring about a new peace or sense of belonging with you.

Wendy ~ mom to VeeGee (6/05), who has PRS, Apraxia, SPD, VPI, a G-Tube, 14q duplication, and is a delightful little pistol! I'm an English professor and a writer.

#4 of 8 Old 10-22-2008, 02:47 PM

RedOak ~ Momma to DS (8) , DS (4) , DD (3) , & DD 9/10 ~
#5 of 8 Old 10-22-2008, 03:15 PM

#6 of 8 Old 10-22-2008, 09:06 PM

That would be a tough to swallow but on the bright side, you are in the family. Knowing where you all stand is better than having a false sense of what's going on. I'd be curious to find out if there was any explanation regarding why she placed people where she did.

Alicia DH Mike DS Gage Lola & Zeus Fishy Dishy, Charkey and Shark
RIP Sidney 1994-2010 RIP Charlie Brown 2008-2010
#7 of 8 Old 10-22-2008, 11:22 PM

This kind of thing is probably why the therapist makes us leave when my daughter is doing sand tray therapy.

Seriously, there are so many ways to look at things, and hard to know what's actually in your daughter's mind/heart. The important thing, in my opinion, is that my daughter knows that it's ok to express her inner world, and to get help from trusted adults with managing her overwhelming feelings.
#8 of 8 Old 10-22-2008, 11:35 PM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane B View Post

Seriously, there are so many ways to look at things, and hard to know what's actually in your daughter's mind/heart. .

Yes, perhaps you were an 'overseer' or protector, looking over everything and making sure she was safe.... (and I do sand tray with kids)

User Agreement--
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page