Mothering Forum banner

My son is here!

3K views 29 replies 27 participants last post by  georgia 
#1 ·
I just wanted to share this with you all - you have all been of tremendous help and support to me, even if you don't realize it! This UC forum has in part given me the confidence to UC.

My son (who has not got a name yet for now) was born this night by UC, with nobody present except me (obviously
) and my two year old daughter. Perhaps there is a bit TMI, so that's a warning for those who don't like gory details

I had been crampy for over a week and wondering when this baby would *finally* make its appearance. Yesterday it was stronger than before, but I told myself there would be again no baby today, which probably did the trick in helping him come! By night time, the contractions had got so strong that I was definitely thinking something was happening. So I spent all night watching lots of television. By 1am, the contractions got regular - 10 mins apart - but they were nothing terrible.

At around 2.30 am I decided that it might be a nice idea to fill up the bath tub (regular one, not a birthing pool). The hot water made the contractions slow down a bit and they hardly hurt at all. At some point I had enough and got out, and went to lie on the bed. For some reason I have envisaged birthing in my bedroom during the whole pregnancy. Here, the contractions got very strong and at this point I started vocalizing a bit. My daughter woke up because of this (we cosleep) and I told her the baby was on its way. She just kept repeating "baby, baby" and was very sweet. She even came and brought me the gatorade that I had lined up to keep hydrated. Just by the time I thought "Oh yeah, this thing bloody hurts!" and was really getting uncomfortable, I went to the bathroom again.

I went and sat on the toilet and felt a strong urge to feel what was going on inside. At that point I felt my bag of waters, still intact. I looked at it with a mirror and it was really fascinating to see. The water was clear and you could see bits of vernix at the bottom. With the next contraction my water broke into the toilet, which was great because it created no mess that way! I soon felt a strong urge to push. Pushing lasted for probably about 30 mins, after which I ended up delivering my baby squatting on the bathroom floor, and I caught him into my hands. He was born at 4 am. I think that he came out all at once, head and body, after I felt him crowning. The placenta delivered a couple of minutes later, which is great I think as I had been worried about a delayed placenta delivery. I did not tear much, fortunately, so I don't have to go and see anyone about that.

Soon after, we went to "sleep", which was not very successful of course but at least the baby and my daughter got some sleep. He didn't nurse until this morning but he's fine now.

I am sure I left some things out but I just wanted to get something written up while it is still fresh.

* And as a lifelong vegetarian, I have a question for those who consumed their placentas. I had a few chunks immediately after the birth to stop bleeding, which was fine. I then put the rest in the fridge. How long will it keep like that or should I freeze it right away?*

See less See more
#2 ·
: Congratulations!
: I loved your story!

I'm not sure how long a placenta will keep in the fridge, but as a meat eater I would say your safe with three days. I have read about many people partially freezing then slicing up their placenta for consumption. I kept my last one in the fridge for several days to make placenta prints with it without it going bad. I think it was around 5 days old when I finally put it in the freezer.

#4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by delicate_sunshine View Post
Hip hip hooray!
:

I love the gory details! Let us know when you pick a name.

I don't know about placenta, either... sorry.
If you want the really gory details, I thought this was funny... At some point during the pushing stage my toddler, who was watching and who has recently become potty learned, said: "Mommy eeeew poo poo, you have to wipe now"

#6 ·
Congratulations and Happy Babymoon!
:

#8 ·
Congratulations!!

As far as the placenta goes, three or four days sounds about right. The second and third day post-partum, I had a placenta smoothie. I really do think it helped with my quick recovery. The rest of my placenta, my DH and I encapsulated on the third or fourth day. We kept it in the fridge those days.

Best wishes!

#10 ·
Congratulations! Sounds like a lovely birth! Glad to hear all is well. (Fwiw, it took us five days to name our UC'd second son, and though it was hard on me because I really wanted to call my baby by name, it was worth the time to find the right name for him. You'll find the right name for your little guy in time.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.