Dry Birth - My story - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 03-25-2009, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've always lurked but never felt really lead to post until today. I thought I should share my story simply because knowledge is power and may help someone else.

My pregnancy was almost 2 weeks past the original due date when the Dr. discovered that I had no amniotic fluid. I'd never had it "break" so our best guess is that a it had leaked through a small tear.

The Dr immediately checked me into the hospital to induce labor. They were concerned but not panicked - at this point my plans for a natural childbirth were still a go - pitosen boost aside.

But shortly after my contractions started things started to go downhill fast. My baby's heart rate started speeding up with every contraction. She was clearly distressed. At this point I wasn't even dilated to a 3 - so I had a long way to go. We tried to wait a little while longer, but her distress just kept getting worse. I could feel the tension building among the drs and nurses. I wound up with an unplanned c-section. Definitely not way I had planned on bringing my daughter into the world.

When they pulled my daughter out she was covered in Meconium - her first bowel movement. It wasn't till she was thoroughly checked out, and I'd started breast feeding that a nurse explained why they were so panicked- that they had just that week lost a baby to MAS - meconium aspiration syndrome.

That baby has also been a dry birth, had inhaled the meconium which had clogged the airways and lead to the baby being brain dead. Small amounts of diluted meconium won't kill or damage the baby - but in a dry birth you don't have that buffer. And the stress of being without the amniotic fluid typically leads the baby to pass the meconium especially once the contractions kick in.

I hope that this information helps anyone ever facing a similar situation.
#2 of 9 Old 03-25-2009, 12:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I am so glad to hear after all that you have a beautiful baby! I had no idea you could lose the fluid! Thank you for sharing!

(and welcome to MDC!)

I'm crunchy... Like a Dorito.
Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

#3 of 9 Old 03-25-2009, 01:39 PM

congrats! Im glad everything worked out for you - thats why we have hospitals, for emergencies! Glad everyone is happy and healthy!

Lindsay: DS#1 (06/06) DD#1 (09/07) DS#2 (10/08) DD#2 (06/09). AND A BABY DUE NOVEMBER 2013

#4 of 9 Old 03-26-2009, 03:59 PM
wbg

Congrats on the arrival of your beautiful baby girl. I am so happy she made it safely and wish you a speedy recovery. Thank you for sharing your story. I had never heard of that before.
You did a wonderful job welcoming your baby into this world in the safest way possible. I know a c-sec can be very disappointing but we are so lucky to have these medical interventions when they are truly necessary.
I wish you a lifetime of magical memories with your new daughter.

wbg...constantly amazed by Z , cherishing I , inspired by P , adoring K and still getting butterflies when I wake up with B !
#5 of 9 Old 03-26-2009, 10:08 PM

so glad everything worked our for you and your baby!!!

transtichel.gifMom of three - (2.5 yrs, 7yrs, and 11yrs). Birthing Doula, editor, and wife to my soulmate. I've had a c/s, hospital VBAC, UC and not yet decided what I'll do about this next little one

#6 of 9 Old 04-02-2009, 02:57 AM

: Hugs & Love to you Effortless1!!!! I understand where you are at! I had a similar experience (though very different too...) I was over 2wks past due. I labored at home for three days before my MW took me to the hospital, (dialated for 1 day, pushed for 2.) When I got to the hospital my cervix went from 10cm down to 2cm (sphincter law... I did not want to be there!) And the untrasound revieled that I had no amniotic fluid. (I had pushed all of my fluid out over the past two days trying to push my baby out... ) even with the hospital transfer, c/s had not crossed my mind untill the Dr said the word... After I screamed at the Dr for making BS reasons & he left the room, my MW patiently explained to me about the dry birth thing, & that I did not have time to re-dialate (if I even could there.) My husband then mentioned that his grandmother was a dry birth. She was braindamaged because of it. (My DD's middle name is after her.) I am very greatful for my c/s it did save both of our Lives (I didn't realize just how scary close I was to killing us both...) But I still have a hard time with it sometimes. DD just turned 1yr, so it's been on my mind allot latley... I feel your sorrow sister, & I feel your Joy too! There is a link to my birthstory in my signature if it would give you any comfort to read it...
Much Love, Many Blessings, Congratulations, & Heal Well!
Elisha

Elisha; happy, working, mountain/river/music, single mamma to Charlotte hearts.gif 03/16/08.      http://rivermamma.blogspot.com/

#7 of 9 Old 04-05-2009, 04:02 PM

Thanks for posting this. I didn't know the fluid could run all out! I thought 1/3 of new fluids comes every hour.
#8 of 9 Old 04-06-2009, 03:03 PM

well, i have just crafted this super long letter about my crazy hospital birth exp. and am sending it to every "compliance" office i can find. but, my story had a positive side too, and the angelic midwife Sarah Appleby-Wineberg M.S.N., saved the day!
After the labor kept picking up and slowing down for 20 hours or so, it was determined that there was no amniotic fluid- this was a skilled midwife and doc who determined this, no interventions and they were so supportive- i thought i was a c section for sure at that point!
anyway, they inserted a tube of saline and my labor picked up instantly- wow, i said that was my last child it was so intense, ten mins. later on all fours i finally let my babe swim out in that trickle of salt water. It is a mystery to me - there was no meconium and he was fine, but i guess amniotic fluid had run so low. i hate to use due dates but i was well past mine.
I recall this little poem - Be it by sweat, tears or the ocean, salt water can remedy most of life's ails
#9 of 9 Old 04-07-2009, 02:33 AM

There is no such thing as a 'dry birth'. Low amniotic fluid, yes. But, amniotic fluid is continually produced....even while in labor.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page