11lb, 6oz shoulder dystocia homebirth. Afterthoughts post #29 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 29 Old 04-05-2009, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

We have had such a rough road, my last birth was a very unhappy, traumatic hospital birth. My partner and I both doubted my ability to go into labor on my own. We SO wanted a homebirth, but nothing seemed to show that it was in the cards.

At 19 weeks, our one planned ultrasound showed complete placenta previa with a cervical overlap of 7cm - very unlikely to resolve, and very likely to result in a very early baby. Turns out the radiologist had read the wrong report.

At 35 weeks the baby turned breech, refusing to turn back over until we had an external version done at 38 weeks. One more day and our midwife would have had to relinquish care to an OB.

Then he was late, finally being born at 41 + 6, again one day before our midwife would have had to relinquish care.

So up until the very end, and I do mean the VERY end, we had little to no confidence that we would get the beautiful homebirth we needed.

My partner's wonderful aunt had been here for a week, with no labor, and finally had to go back home for a few days to take care of some things. She came back yesterday at 2pm, 30 minutes after very light contractions had started.

Not being willing to be taken in by false labor, we waited for 3 hours, until they were reliably 4-5 minutes apart for 2 hours before calling the midwife.

She came over and was very respectful of our wishes to be alone and unbothered as much as possible.

I had very strong contractions, but there was beautiful space between them that allowed my partner and I to talk, and joke and really and truly share in the moment unlike last time's 1.75 hour pit-induced labor.

For such a long time I could tell I was not making any progress, and I was starting to get really discouraged. It was so hard to push because I had no urge, and when the contractions came it hurt WAY to much to push.

Finally there was enough anger at the lack of progress built up in me and I was able to push thru the agony, to where I had gotten his head out but could not push the rest of him out, no matter how hard I tried. The midwife put her hand in me, pushed down on his shoulder and yelled at me to push hard now, now now. My partner thought I was having a stroke - I turned purple and stopped breathing I pushed so hard for so long. Finally, with the midwife wiggling him back and forth he came out. I guess it was about a minute he was stuck. He was blue and not breathing, she told us to talk to him, rub him, and she was trying to stop me from bleeding.

I tried a couple of doses of herbs before she resorted to a shot of pitocin, but the bleeding was pretty heavy. It freaking hurt, on top of everything else. The baby finally perked up, with Apgars of 7 and 9. He was born at 11:25 (or so) pm.

He was the heaviest baby she had ever been there for, I asked if we got a prize pack or something, , but no....

I was light-headed and in a lot of pain and short of breath for a few hours, but today I feel pretty darn good, and we are SO joyous and proud that we actually got what we wanted in so many ways.

We stayed close to each other (unlike at the hospital when we were at odds in every way)

No needles in the baby, the cord was left alone.

No one took our baby away.

We were able to keep our daughter close.

The pain was terrible, and it took more out of me than the pit labor, but it was so beautiful in so many ways.

And holy cow, he is such a fat little thing!! Oh and we got to unpack the hospital bag and toss the birth plans!!!

#2 of 29 Old 04-05-2009, 07:53 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Congratulations on your fat little baby! :
#3 of 29 Old 04-05-2009, 07:54 PM

Wow, congrats mama!!!

Sarah- following my bliss, mama to 3 :
Dd to Ds: "Let's have a snack party! I got us chips, and a hammer!"
#4 of 29 Old 04-05-2009, 08:02 PM

Amazing! Congrats!!

Jessie. Mama to bikenew.gif(7) : broc1.gif(4) and : toddler.gif22 mo 

#5 of 29 Old 04-05-2009, 10:18 PM

Tears of joy for you Mama... I have been following your story all through.

Congratulations. What an accomplishment. Enjoy your babymoon :

Alison
Mama to Toad (08/06), Frog (01/09)... and new baby Newt born on his due date, Sep. 8, 2010
#6 of 29 Old 04-06-2009, 12:05 AM

CONGRATS! how exciting!! i can't wait for our homebirth in May!

Megan-loving wife to my high school sweet heart 9.24.2005 and AP mama to my big boy biggrinbounce.gif 12.14.2006, homebirth.jpglittle sister 5.27.2009 andhomebirth.jpg baby sister 8.31.11

#7 of 29 Old 04-06-2009, 01:39 AM

Wow! Congrats!! That's one BIG baby!

Me, married to DH, my childhood sweetheart. Lucky mom to an amazing DD (10/15/10), , a funny little DS (1/11/13) , and 3 silly dogs. Expecting someone new February 14, 2015!
#8 of 29 Old 04-06-2009, 08:41 AM

Oh, I'm so happy for you that you got the homebirth you wanted :

I've been following along too and really hoping that everything would work out for you this time, and that you would have a healing birth - sounds like you did, even though it was pretty tough physically. And wow, 11 lb 6 oz! What a chunk!

Enjoy your babymoon - you really deserve a lovely peaceful one!

Lisa - mama to Eleanor Rose 01/08 and Saoirse Lily 09/10
#9 of 29 Old 04-06-2009, 09:31 AM

Yay, congrats and happy Babymoon! :::

An inspiration to the rest of us who wanted a homebirth but are not having the "ideal" pregnancy. Really appreciate you sharing your story with us!

Mama with DD (01/04) and DD (08/09)
#10 of 29 Old 04-06-2009, 09:38 AM

My last was a SD birth. I remember that "push like there's no tomorrow" part at the end and whoa, good for you!!! Congratulations on the birth of your baby boy!
#11 of 29 Old 04-06-2009, 05:35 PM

wow!! kudos to you and your family!

wife to dh, mama to dd1   june 2007, dd2 march 2009 and dd3 april 2011
#12 of 29 Old 04-07-2009, 10:03 PM

wowee! Much congratulations to you! That sounds rough... And I love that name!

Already!?!?! cold.gif  ~ Lori, doula, childbirth educator, wife to Jermaine 6/04, and mom to two happy and energetic boys - Tatum 6/06 and Keegan 3/09

#13 of 29 Old 04-07-2009, 10:25 PM
wbg

Congrats Mama! You did it! I am so happy for you and your family. Enjoy your beautiful big baby boy!

wbg...constantly amazed by Z , cherishing I , inspired by P , adoring K and still getting butterflies when I wake up with B !
#14 of 29 Old 04-08-2009, 04:02 AM

Congratulations!!!

transtichel.gifMom of three - (2.5 yrs, 7yrs, and 11yrs). Birthing Doula, editor, and wife to my soulmate. I've had a c/s, hospital VBAC, UC and not yet decided what I'll do about this next little one

#15 of 29 Old 04-08-2009, 06:04 PM

I am just really happy for you! And you did it, you did it, you did it!

Lisa~Was Aspiring Midwife~Now-AAMI Midwifery Student #2020~Mama to Zackery 3/29/96, Drake 9/22/01, and Selina 10/26/03...and here was the link to my new blog
#16 of 29 Old 04-08-2009, 10:44 PM

That's one cooked LO!!! I'm completely in awe of you. Congratulations!

:yawning 33yo first-time solo mama to DD born 11/21/09
#17 of 29 Old 04-08-2009, 11:38 PM

Congrats! I can not wait to see a picture

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#18 of 29 Old 04-09-2009, 03:49 PM

CONGRATS!!!!!!! I am soooo happy to see this!

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
#19 of 29 Old 04-09-2009, 10:10 PM

Wow! You are so strong, and worked so hard. What an amazing birth story. I love your son's name, too.

Carlyn - loving and caring for my family.
Married 13 years, mama to 12 (boy), 8, 6, 4, 1 (girls)
#20 of 29 Old 04-19-2009, 08:04 PM

Congrats!!! What a great story!

Three boys.  jumpers.gif
#21 of 29 Old 04-28-2009, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelBee View Post
Congrats! I can not wait to see a picture
Same here! I wanna see a picture of that biig babe! Congrats mama and what a wonderful MW to work through that SD!
#22 of 29 Old 04-28-2009, 01:18 AM

congratulations!!

Stinkerton 12/10/01 9lbs8oz, induced to c/s; Little Man 5/20/03 7lbs11oz, r c/s, fear of another labor; Jillybean 11/18/07 10lbs8oz 37cm head, induced VBA2C; and the Wee Beastie, 9lbs8oz, 35cm head, rpt VBA2C
#23 of 29 Old 04-28-2009, 03:34 AM

Congratulations! and stories like yours are the best pep talk ever after hearing people say "gong natural is too hard". Thank you!

Michele married to Dh since Dec 2000 and happily sharing a home with 3 kitties, 1 doggy, DS R born 8/25/09 into the arms of his mama, and DS E born 2/25/2012

#24 of 29 Old 05-22-2009, 06:05 PM

Congrats! I knew you were expecting from the traumatic birth tribe, but hadn't kept up with you.

I am so glad it did work out for you. I'm sorry it was so stressful!

Mama to 2 year old and :: June 14th!
#25 of 29 Old 05-22-2009, 06:15 PM

congrats what a beautiful story
#26 of 29 Old 05-25-2009, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter

After having some time to mull the experience over, I had a few afterthoughts I wanted to share.

There was also no suctioning; we have had NO breastfeeding problems like my poor daughter had due to very aggressive and unnecessary suctioning. This was such a relief. Of course, my daughter *is* still the world's most dedicated nurser and will not even consider giving up her boobie. I was very happy with my midwife for refusing to suction the baby when my (well-meaning) partner asked her to - the babe was breathing and souded a little gurgly but not really crying. Just making a few wah sounds. He ended up vomiting quite a bit the first 24 hours, but then I remembered reading that the colostrum was supposed to help them do that so I wasn't too worried. My midwife said that when they get stuck they don't get the whole benefit of the chest squeeze before birth.

I looked back at my records for this birth and while I was at an 8 at 8pm, complete at 9:15, there was nothing but pain and stalling (I think babe was trying to position himself) for over 2 hours. That's a long transition - I now know how other mothers who have survived a long transition phase must feel. I wasn't asking for pain relief or to transfer, but I was SO ready for the pain to be over. I can really understand how tiring and disheartening it is to be told repeatedly that you aren't making any progress, and to wonder if there is something holding things up and maybe you will have to transfer because there is nothing you can do. I feel that this experience and the positive outcome was by the grace of God.

I am not sure why this came up from my partner because, truly she was THE most amazing birth partner anyone could ever want, but she has since said a few things that bothered me. I had told her that I would be able to handle this labor better as long as there was no Pit because that was what had made it unmanageable with our daughter. Well I thought I did handle it well, up until the second hour of transition. At that point I was yelling and screaming through each 2 minute contraction but I never said I wanted pain relief or to go to the hospital. I know I said a few times I couldn't do it, and that I couldn't do any more. She said that she tried to tell me that I wouldn't be able to do it without screaming, and that she was right - why didn't I listen to her.

She also said that when everyone was warning me that Tavie would be a big baby and that we better get him out sooner rather than later (ie starting labor-inducing stuff including if he wasn't her by 41 weeks to be induced) I refused to listen and bragged that I knew I could push out an 11 pound baby. She said that statement came back to bite me in the @$$ because I not only had the 11 lb baby, but I wasn't able to push him out because the midwife had to pull him out. I didn't think she pulled him out so much as got him unstuck so I could push him out. He was born with a craniohematoma from being slightly off the right position, which I guess justified her thought on this one a little further. *I* felt like I pushed him out, and even with the midwife's GIANT farmer hands in me with him half out, I still didn't tear at ALL.

So I am trying to keep seperate my memory of that beautiful night and all of our closeness and joy, from the things she said later. I refuse to let the night be tainted. And I maintain that I did too push out an 11 lb baby with little problem.

BTW, he is doing so well, and he is such an easy dream baby. I am so lucky to have him!!
#27 of 29 Old 05-25-2009, 10:32 AM

That is definitely an adventure!

Regarding your partner, it sounds like she is working through a little of her own trauma from the night. A few months ago, I attended my first shoulder dystocia as a doula, and I can assure you that it is a unique experience for a bystander/supporter. I definitely needed some space to process it all, although I was nothing but positive with the mama. Maybe she needs someone with whom to talk this all through, but it might not need to be you.

Wife of one and mom of five, including my HBAC twins!
#28 of 29 Old 05-25-2009, 11:42 AM

Hi,

Firstly congratulations on your big boy! He is stunning

I wonder, does your partner have children she gave birth to? I only ask because screaming (especially during transition, even when one is in it for a more reasonable period of time) is SO SO normal most midwives are more surprised by a woman who DOESN'T have those emotional signposts. To me, and perhaps to others, a screaming transitional mother is having an adrenalin rush which precedes the birth ejection reflex and it is not only normal, but a good sign.

It can be so hard to know this unless one has been there. I know my XP (a male BTW) was a wonderful birth partner but i also know he feels i chickened out when, during transition, i leaned over our bath screaming for an epidural (i had a premature pushing urge which grew slowly into a real pushing urge and a very fast labour, the result of which was that the midwife told me i wasn't in labour and not to push until DD's head was already born to the ears - two hours of fighting the pushing urge was scary, and yes, i did scream for an epidural because it was so hard to resist the urge, but i didn't mean it, and he obviously knew i didn'tsince he made no move to get an ambulance or anything!). He also once, when i asked him if he felt the midwives presence was worthwhile (given they basically had me fight my labour every inch until the very end) and he said "well, hey did everything, so yeah, i'd say that was worth it". : NOT how i feel about it at all!

But i guess at the time he was so "in" his own experience of the day, as much as i felt abandoned by the poor observations they were making, he felt "saved" by them because they showed up a good half hour after i hit transition and things felt hard for him with me apparently panicking. FWIW the midwife had to lunge to catch DD and XP STILL feels her achievment was greater than mine in the birthing process. He was having a tough time i think, and maybe wasn't expecting my "absence" as i sank into labourland and felt abandoned with it all until they came...? Maybe your partner has similar feelings?

How is your relationship overall? I would die of pride if my partner pushed an 11lber out!
#29 of 29 Old 05-25-2009, 03:01 PM

I screamed before transition! I had an OP babe that finally turned a bit and was then facing me hips It hurt so so badly! I had the urge to push at 9cm and had a tiny bit of lip left that made it painful. I also had a larger baby 9lbs 4oz. I think screaming in just inevitable for some women. Boy was I ever thinking that an epi sounded good towards the end. I was feeling like a failure for screaming, with my daughter I was a silent birther and was expecting the same thing with DD2!
It just sounds like your partner was dealing with her own trauma from that night. It may help to talk about it, express that her comment may have bothered or hurt you.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page