Xander Scott's Birthday UC - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 01-21-2004, 12:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, sex in the last few weeks of pregnancy can ripen the cervix and get things going. I proved it with dd's birth and just to test that theory I had to try again this time. I had actually been putting dh off because we didn't have the birth kit yet and the birthing pool was scheduled to arrive the 15th. They called the evening of the 15th and explained that they would have to bring the pool in the morning because they were working late that night. I thought what the hey. We've gone too long and who knows when we'll get another chance. We really need an intimate night. So, after I put dd to bed, I went in for one last fling with dh. It worked. I woke up feeling "different" that morning. Dh was starting his third day at his new job in the NICU and I planned to get up early with him to make breakfast (a little thank you for the night before.) When I got up I really didn't feel like making breakfast so I just kissed him goodbye and went back to bed. Dd woke up and climbed in bed with me and we snuggled for a while. Then we woke at our normal time and had some oatmeal for breakfast. I cleaned up and still felt a bit sluggish so we watched Sesame Street together. After a while a friend called and invited us over for a play date. I told her I thought this might be "the day" and that Zen was more than welcome to go play if they didn't mind if I stayed home. She was so excited and told me she could keep her until 5 PM when they had to have supper with her dh's family. I said great. The original plan was to have Zen at the birth so this sounded great to me.

I decided it was time to start timing some of the surges around 11 AM. When I realized they were consistently 4 min. apart and 45 sec. to 1 min. long I realized I should probably call dh at work and give him a heads up. I spoke with a woman and asked for dh and she said in an annoyed voice, "he's attending a birth right now." I got the impression that wives are discouraged from calling the hospital. Oh, well. This was different. I said (very calmly and cheerfuly), "Great! When he finishes up in that birth, he needs to come home for another birth." Her tone changed completely. He called back in about 5 min. and asked if I thought he needed to come home. I told him about the contrax. and we decided he should head home around noon. He was home by 11:45 just in time for the birthing pool to show up and the playdate to get there. By 1PM we were in the pool. Dh set some mood music and lit some candles. I was hoping we could have sex one more time before baby, but I couldn't integrate that into the labor. I labored between the pool and the toilet for a while and things started getting more intense. Dh was so helpful with drinks of water and offering snacks and holding my hand when I needed it. I was extremely sensitive to any touch on my belly so I scolded him a few times about that, but mostly it was a beautifully intimate experience. By about 4PM I was really getting the feel of the rushes and making some wonderfully low "moose-like" noises, which really helped me direct the energy of the birth and point the baby in the right direction. The low animal noises turned into pushes and very soon we could feel the head in the birth canal. Zen was due home at any time and I was sure she would be walking into the most intense part of the birth which might alarm her so dh called the friend and asked if she could drop dd off at another friend's. That was just fine and I continued working through the rushes. Finally I couldn't do anything but push so I pushed out ds's head. Dh and I had tears in our eyes. I sat back on my heals and gave one more push and the shoulders came out, just grazing my perineum. Dh pulled him out of the water and showed him to me. "He's a boy!" he told me and sure enough there was his package. I put him on my tummy and tried to nurse him, but he wasn't ready yet. We decided to go ahead and clamp the cord and cut it so I get on with birthing the placenta. Dh took ds out of the water so I could get busy and he could get warm. The placenta took a little while to come out and then it only came half way out. I just wanted to get out of the water and hold my son, but this stupid piece of tissue wouldn't pop out. Finally I stood up and let it slide into a bowl about 45 min. later. We got into an herbal bath together and nursed for the first time. He was like an old pro. Soon dh called to have dd come home and our little family was all together.

Here are the birth pics
#2 of 15 Old 01-21-2004, 01:54 AM

What a beautiful story!

Enjoy your babymoon
#3 of 15 Old 01-21-2004, 11:41 AM

Congrats, what a beautiful story!!
#4 of 15 Old 01-21-2004, 03:00 PM

Wonderful! Congratulations on your new baby boy!
#5 of 15 Old 01-22-2004, 04:53 AM

Congrats, mama! Happy babymoon

This is one of the most down to earth, tell it like it is, birth stories I've read Great job writing it, and great job living it!
#6 of 15 Old 01-24-2004, 03:16 PM

So beautiful! I hope my birth goes as smoothly as that one! I almost cryed! Enjoy your little light
#7 of 15 Old 01-28-2004, 11:00 PM

A beautiful retelling of such a strong birth! Congrats, mama - enjoy your babymoon!
#8 of 15 Old 07-11-2004, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter

Ok, six months later I finally posted the pictures. You can follow the link above.
#9 of 15 Old 07-14-2004, 02:23 PM
Ame

I've heard the story - but hadn't seen pictures. I miss seeing you and Zen & Xander
#10 of 15 Old 07-14-2004, 02:33 PM

I loved the pictures!!! You've got a good lookin DH, BTW
#11 of 15 Old 07-14-2004, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks mamajaza.

Ame- Zen and I were just talking about you and your fam. I reminded her that you are having another baby and she got all excited all over again. We were talking about the time we all piled up and went to Big Splash (wasn't I preggo at the time?) Good times.
#12 of 15 Old 07-14-2004, 05:49 PM

Great story and pictures!

He who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe is as good as dead; his eyes are closed.  ~Albert Einstein
#13 of 15 Old 07-14-2004, 06:02 PM
Ame

Yup ...you sure were !

We need to get together again soon...Mohawk Park, my house/your house, anywhere LOL ! You're cordially invited to the cloth diaper party (MDC/Local mama get together) at my house Saturday at 1:00 !
#14 of 15 Old 07-14-2004, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter

How cool are you?
#15 of 15 Old 07-14-2004, 10:06 PM
Ame

uhhh ask me after the party LOL

I'll call you tomorrow

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page