This story is for anyone who attempted a vbac or vaginal birth and then failed at succeeding. You have hope and it can be done!
History: DS (4) induced due to preclampsia 30+ hours of labor 9 ½ cm dilated and fever so off into a C-section.
DS (13months)- Same Dr. said she will give me till my due date to go into labor. Well on my due date no labor, I begged and pleaded (I dreamed for a VBAC). Her compromise (my stupidity) to rupture my bag of waters and pray I go into labor. I was 2cm and 100% effaced. Labor took off and within 4 hours I began pushing. After 5 minutes of pushing the babies heart rate dropped and off we went to the OR.
So 5 months after my last c-section to my surprise I am pregnant again. I researched day and night on how “safe” a VBA2C is compared to a RCS. After switching Dr’s for the 3rd time I found my DREAM Doctor. He believed in me! No scare tactics on rupture. He recently delivered a VBA4C and a VBAC footling breach. MY HERO! His response is “they don’t train doctors like they used too!” I was 37 weeks and started having painful contractions ranging 4 minutes apart – to 10 minuets apart for 2 days. I lost my mucus plug Saturday afternoon. I decided to go to dinner and movie to see if this could possibly be the real thing. During dinner and the movie contractions were still 4 to 10 minuets apart. We came home and relaxed and around 11pm they were coming 6 minuets apart. I never thought I would go early. But praise God because I was done being pregnant! Around 3am Sunday morning I call my Dr. and he tells me to come to the hospital and he’ll meet me there. I get there and I am 3cm and baby is “exremly high”. According to the nurse I am not in labor, even though contractions are consistently 4 minuets apart. They “can’t” send me home because I am “laboring on TWO scars”. I was given a sleeping pill and if I could sleep through the contractions – I was not in labor. If I still felt all the contractions with zero sleep- I was in labor. Well I felt everything, at 7am my doctor comes to the hospital checks me and I am now only 5cm and baby still high -3. He tells me to go out to breakfast because “they are going to starve and dehydrate me if I stay here.” So off we went, the nurses couldn’t believe I was willing to leave according to them “I was a brave girl trying to attempt another VBAC”. We go home and labor at home for another 7 hours. Arrive back at the hospital because contractions were now, more intense and 3 minuets apart. To my awful surprise I am now at a 6 and baby -2. (AFTER 7 HOURS). I was ready to throw in the towel, but was constantly reminded by my husband and Doctor how much effort I have put towards this and I could not give up now. So I decided I would get an epidural around 4pm still at 6cm. And at 6:30 I was now at 8cm but baby was still high. My doctor suggested I could do 3 things. 1- Low dose pitocin to pick things up (should’ve seen the nurse cringe!!!) 2. Break my water 3. Keep doing what I am doing. I decided on AROM and prayed it would work. 7:30 pm I was now complete and ready to push. Baby decides to drop her heart rate and I just knew my chance was over once again! My doctor looked at me and said “If I need to, I will use forceps and have this baby out within seconds, YOU WILL NOT HAVE ANOTHER C-SECTION!” So I began pushing, her heart rate was up then down, and the nurse looks at my doctor with concern and says “should we lay her on her left side?” My doctor responds “ THE BABY IS FINE” “Look at me and ignore that screen” I pushed with everything I had for 10 minuets and my little girl was born!!!!! MOST AMAZING EXPIRENCE OF MY LIFE. Only 2 small stitches needed. GOD IS GOOD! I got to bond immediately with my daughter and loved that I was first to hold her, smell her, and kiss her! When they wheeled me out of that room I got about 10 stunned nurses (who for sure thought I was crazy and going to kill my self, my baby and that I could never do it) just stand there and stare at me with an awe in shock look! I laughed inside and said YES I TOLD YA SO! I find out today that they are still talking about my case on the labor delivery floor! Hopefully I proved some stubborn nurses wrong!
The recovery is amazing, and I am so blessed that I took a leap of faith outside ‘what the medical community would do’ and did what my heart told me to do.
We named her Raegan Marie, she weighed 6lbs 11oz
Momma to DD (12/04) and DS (11/09) .
I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!
Well done mama!
And well done to your support team....
Blogging my way through grief. Look in my profile for link.
Welcome little baby girl!
I am planning on a vba2c in Dec with the same dr you have (you recommended him to me). I think he is great too and am so excited to hear how he handled your birth. It makes me very excited to give birth!
Congratulations and enjoy your new baby!
M.Ed. Mama to Chunka (1/07), Beauty (5/09) and Elizabear 3/12): Birth Doula (working toward certification) AAMI Midwifery Student, Advocating with Solace for Mothers & The Birth Survey
Have a wonderful babymoon!!
~e, wife to my sweet T , mama to my turtleman (12) , sunshine (9 ), and monkey (6)
I was amazed at how fast you went from 8 cm to 10 and ready to push after you had the AROM. I am wondering if the slow progress up to the 8 cm was because it was God's way of taking it slow so you wouldn't have any problems with birthing naturally...Great job, and congrats on your baby girl!
(I had 3 boys, then a girl...and now almost 37 weeks with our 5th baby...I love having a girl! She is just 15 months, so I am nervous about having them so close together!)
I bet your story inspires many not to give up.