An Unexpected Homebirth - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 07-16-2009, 11:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The birth of my daughter River Lynn has to have been one of the greatest gifts I've ever received. After an unwanted hospital induction with my first daughter, we wanted a homebirth for River but didn't think we could afford it since our insurance doesn't cover homebirth midwives. We went back to the midwifery center we had used before, planning to be stubborn if they tried to suggest induction just because my babies run large.

I was expecting to go over my due date by at least a week since that is what had happened with my 1st daughter and that is what the midwives predicted. When I started having contractions the night before my due date, I assumed they were Braxton Hicks and went to bed. I awoke a couple hours later when the contractions continued and decided to wait a while to see if they increased in frequency and intensity. They didn't really hurt and they weren't terribly regular-- five to seven minutes apart, lasting maybe thirty seconds. It wasn't until 4:45 the next morning that the intensity began to pick up a little and I woke my husband. We called our doula around 5:00 to confirm that it really was labor; after listening to a few contractions she said it was labor but that I was still early. She suggested I eat something and drink some red raspberry leaf tea. I never got the chance!

Things started to pick up so rapidly that I called her back ten minutes later to tell her that I was going to the hospital. It was chaos-- we had nothing packed, my husband couldn't find the midwives number, I was in the bathroom hollering my way through transition/pushing (without even realizing I was pushing...it felt like my body was doing everything without me and I was running to catch up)

We finally abandoned packing and tried to get to the van. I didn't even have shoes. We made it to the sidewalk and I felt the baby crown. I told my husband and he got me into the back of the minivan, where I knelt against the back seat and pushed out the baby's head. My husband delivered the shoulders and out slid our beautiful baby girl. He cleared her passageways and got her breathing and we moved the cord from around her neck-- it was just a very loose loop. He wrapped her in a tunic of mine which was in the car and I was able to nurse her right away.

My mother, who was there to pick up my toddler, had called 911 while my husband and I were delivering the baby so an ambulance came to take me to the hospital. My only regret was going with them. They wouldn't take me to the midwifery center where we planned to deliver but insisted on taking me to a local hospital. My experience there was less than impressive. Not to mention the fact that said hospital wants to bill me almost a thousand dollars for NOT having my baby with them! It's called the "delivery outside dept" charge.

Next time, we're doing an intentional homebirth, although the midwife will be there mostly as support. My husband did such a good job this time that we want him to catch the baby again

It truly was the most amazing experience of my life. After laboring and delivering at home, I don't understand why any woman in an normal, healthy birth circumstance would go to a hospital.

And we did have the minivan professionally cleaned.
#2 of 10 Old 07-16-2009, 11:33 PM

: Congratulations! How empowering!

Wife to dh and mommy to dd1 (3/07), ds (1/10), and dd2 (any day now)!

#3 of 10 Old 07-16-2009, 11:39 PM

You did it! Congrat's on your home/mini van birth :
P.S: "delivery outside dept" charge, that's just silly

Lovin my sweet babygirl 3-17-10love.gif and expecting another in March! love.gif

#4 of 10 Old 07-17-2009, 12:00 AM

:::ow !!! Congrats for the mama, dad and the new baby.

Mama of and , partners.gif with  Love
#5 of 10 Old 07-17-2009, 09:40 AM

wow congrats! what a story for river lynn!
#6 of 10 Old 07-17-2009, 09:45 AM

Wow, great birth story! Heh, mini-van birth...better in the driveway than on the highway!

DS 12/22/05 and DD 5/24/09
#7 of 10 Old 07-18-2009, 01:31 PM

Wow Momma, Congratulations!!! :

Hospitals will think of any way to get your money, won't they?

~Becca
Wife to DH 8/2003; Momma to DS 5/2007ribboncesarean.gif ; DD 5/1/2010 hbac.gifwaterbirth.jpg !
#8 of 10 Old 07-20-2009, 03:48 PM

Congratulations! What an exciting birth. I think I would dispute the delivery outside the department charge. They didn't do anything. They might as well charge for the cleaning of the mini van as well.
#9 of 10 Old 07-20-2009, 10:08 PM

Howe wonderful!!! congrats

Mom of many minions . . . babyf.gif jumpers.gif     jumpers.gif     jumpers.gif
"And when our baby stirs and struggles to be born it compels humility: what we began is now its own." Margaret Mead 
#10 of 10 Old 07-21-2009, 04:08 PM

Congrats, mama! I had a minivan birth too, although mine was on the side of the freeway! And we too, had to have it professionally cleaned! I'm so glad everything went so smoothly.

Violin teaching, doula-ing Mom to Abby, (8) Ashlynn, (6) : and Max (11/13/08) Diagnosed with Metopic Craniosynostosis. First surgery 5/1/09, Second surgery March 2010.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page