Baby Boy is here!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 01-20-2010, 09:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sunday January 17 I called the midwife at 5 pm to talk to her about induction methods. I had an appointment the next day and wanted to discuss a stretch and sweep with the MW and DH before I went in. I would have been 42 weeks today (Tuesday). The conversation left me an emotional mess, and once I hung up the phone I went sobbing into DHs arms.

The emotional release was apparently all the induction I needed. I was putting DD to sleep around 8 and started having definite but mild contractions. She nursed a bit before going to bed and I got an intense contraction and felt the baby crash against my cervix. I told DH we needed to set up the pool. I was pretty sure I was going to go quickly (my first birth I labored 6 hours). I timed some waves (5-10 minutes apart and alternating 1 minute or 30 seconds in length). I called the MW around 9 told her what was up and she said I was in early labor, try to sleep and to call back in an hour.

I put in my hypnobabies Birthing Day affirmations script, and labored around the house trying not to time all the waves. The pattern remained every 5 or sometimes 10 minutes, 30 seconds to 1 minute in length. I called the MW at 10, reported the news, she said it still sounded early so I’d call again. With DD I waited too long to call the MW and I really wanted to avoid that this time, but I just wasn’t sure I was moving along enough to have her come. She lives an hour away so I didn’t want to wait too long…

I switched to the Special Place script (I still didn’t think I was in active labor), and attempted to lay down and sleep. The waves were strong but I was able to relax, center, and open during the experience. I remember thinking “gee, this is uncomfortable. I’m not sure I’m enjoying this.” I was fearful of my water breaking and it becoming very intense. A good friend had sent me a cache of birth related quotes to keep me up in spirits while we waited for our little one. The two that got me through were “You don’t have to be particularly graceful or strong to get through labor. You just have to be a woman,” and “This can’t be stronger than you because it comes from you.”

Suddenly, I felt like I couldn’t remain still during the waves. I had to move and vocalize. I timed a few and they were 2 minutes apart and 1 minute long. I called the MW at 11 to report and added that I was shaking and sweating. She said she would leave right away though she was unsure she would make it. I said “don’t worry, you will!” I barked at DH and told him to start filling the tub. The MW hadn’t wanted me to get in the pool before she got there but I felt like I needed water to remain calm so I stripped and got into the shower. Pretty soon I was on all fours in the shower making the best noises – low and deep moans. I vomited and thought “naaah, I can’t possibly be in transition.” Then I felt pushy. Holy cow, I thought. I can’t push yet. I puh-puh-puh-puh’d my way through the pushing waves. Then suddenly I had to push and it was the most amazing feeling. I felt like I could visualize his body moving through my pelvis, like I could see my pelvis opening and expanding. I grunted loudly and felt a pop. What I thought was the mucous plug hitting my leg was a little projectile poop. I yelled loudly “CALL ANNE!” While DH was calling her beeper and cell, the MW came through the front door. She ran up the stairs and I could hear her come into the bathroom. I had another pushing wave and he was crowning! I had wanted to birth in the pool so I breathed through the next wave and babe moved back into the birth canal. I got up and we walked to the pool (I hadn’t wanted to be naked in the pool, nor did I want to be walking around the house naked, but there you go). I got in and within one or two waves I was pushing him out. Again, it felt amazing. I had torn badly with DD and pushing was long and intense, but this felt good, or as good as pushing an almost 9 pound baby out of your vagina can feel. The sensation of his body moving through mine was intense. He was born at 12:10 am, after about 4 hours of labor, at 41 weeks and 6 days gestational age, same as his sister. His cord was long! Long enough that both the MW and her assistant commented. (It was later measured to be 38.5 inches). He was wrapped up a few times in the cord, but no big deal. He was purple and quiet and beautiful, a very mellow baby. He pinked up quickly but was slow to open his eyes. Once the cord stopped pulsing it was cut and I delivered the placenta about 30 minutes later. No one interrupted my son and me; I just held him and kissed him (and my husband). Apparently, at some point after the birth I turned to everyone and said “That was easy!”

Eventually, I was moved from the pool into our bed and experienced another postpartum hemorrhage, almost like clockwork to the one I had with DD. I had already been dosed with Shepherd’s Purse though my BP dropped to 55 over unreadable and I continued to bleed. I turned a lovely shade of green and was slurring my words. The MW hooked me up to an IV while the assistant gave me a shot of Pitocin (another was put in the IV). When I stabilized they did the newborn exam – he was 8 pounds and 14 ounces, 20.75 inches long. I sustained a vaginal tear that the MW sutured. The whole after birth experience (PPH and stitches) was decidedly much less pleasant than the actual labor and birth. The birth was awesome, happy, holy, healthy, healing, easy, and gentle.

My babies were born at home! 09/07, 01/10, and 09/12 joy.gif

#2 of 10 Old 01-20-2010, 10:10 PM

beautiful I am so glad you are all doing well.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#3 of 10 Old 01-20-2010, 10:23 PM

Beautiful story and well done to you, mama!

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

#4 of 10 Old 01-20-2010, 11:58 PM

Beautiful. I was trying to think of another word, since beautiful's been used twice already, but there is no other word. Just beautiful. You're awesome. I'm glad you're both doing well.

Mama to three  
#5 of 10 Old 01-21-2010, 12:05 AM

You're amazing. What a great labor story, and I'm sorry the immediate recovery sucked.

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

#6 of 10 Old 01-21-2010, 09:51 AM

I LOOOOOOVE it! Mazel tov a million times!!!

Now...
emotional melt down: check
calling midwife and her telling me there's nothing really doing: check check
maybe this means I'm well on my way, too?

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Wise-Woman-Fertility/182752565080597
#7 of 10 Old 01-21-2010, 12:39 PM

Absolutely wonderful! Congratulations again.
#8 of 10 Old 01-21-2010, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jul511riv View Post
I LOOOOOOVE it! Mazel tov a million times!!!

Now...
emotional melt down: check
calling midwife and her telling me there's nothing really doing: check check
maybe this means I'm well on my way, too?

absolutely! b'shaa tovah, my friend

My babies were born at home! 09/07, 01/10, and 09/12 joy.gif

#9 of 10 Old 01-22-2010, 02:57 AM

What a powerful birth story! You made me laugh when you described it as "That was easy!"

Have a smooth and quick recover, and remember to continue to take the Shepherds purse and take it EASY!!!
#10 of 10 Old 01-22-2010, 07:47 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It sounds like a wonderful birth!! So sorry about the PPH and stitches, though. I am so glad the birth itself was so beautiful for you, though.

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page