Brennen's (late) birth story UP/UC - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 03-02-2010, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A little background:
DH (we are off grid) built this really cool water pumping system that brings the water from the spring down the hill to our house UP the hill without using electricity or batteries (cool 'cause it's working uphill to the house) then he designed a heater system for the hot water that brings it through my woodstove to heat it...again without electricity or batteries or anything.

The day Brennen was born Jan. 11, 2010 it was 3 degrees here in the NorthEast and as this is our first winter with the new system we learned the day before that the pipes coming into the house can freeze....when that happened it took out the water system, since there was no water we couldn't run the woodstove with the empty pipes or they would burst.

We had no water, no hot water and only our backup wood stove for heat in 3 degrees.....of COURSE this was the day he would come LOL. We moved a mattress downstairs into the room next our bathroom and in front of the backup woodstove to keep me as comfortable as possible.

At 10:30a I called DH on the cell while he was at the well. I was becoming annoyed that Holden (2) was jumping on me and it was becoming very irritating. I should have known something was up because I was irritated but since I had no contractions I didn't think anything of it. I asked DH to come up and help just for a while.

DH made it up the hill about 10:45ish and asked me a couple times (I was lightly contracting by then) if this "was it" I told him I thought we *might* have a baby within the day but I wasn't sure. I needed to pee about 10 times in a row although I really have no idea why...I was still having contractions that I thought *might* lead to something. DH asked a few times if it was increasing and I wasn't sure they were even real.....let alone getting worse.

I asked Tyler (9) at 11:22 to make me coffee and a bagel and I went for another trip to the bathroom, felt the head engage while in there and realized this was IT. I had another contraction leaving the bathroom and felt hot, I had the urge to take my hooded sweatshirt off and while taking it off had 2 thoughts at the same time "WOW this is starting to hurt" and "might as well take everything off with the sweatshirt and save the extra effort" DH was sitting there and as soon as the clothes came off he knew it was the real deal. I made it another 2 steps or so and half knelt down in front of a chair, I felt the head come out - I wouldn't really call it crowning as I was repeating "slow, slow, slow" but it still sort of popped out all at once. DH said "I have a head"; he had been breech for a while so we weren't 100% sure what would be the presenting part....(no crowning around here....it's head AND body or head THEN body LOL) and then the body come out a second later. Immediately I heard him cry and knew he was breathing. He was born at 11:26 and the only child of the 4 to be in the room was Holden (2). Tyler (9) heard the cry and came around the corner saying "oh no...that's the second time I've missed a birth!!!) all of the other kids were on the other side of the wall in the living room and we didn't even realize how close the birth was until it was too late to call them in (again).

Brennen was my 3rd baby to come in less than 1 hour from my first inkling of labor. All 3 of my quick labors had less than 5 real contractions. As with the other 3 the only painful contractions were within a 4 minute window and very close together.

He was 6 - 12, my others were:

Tyler 9 - 7lbs, posterior 5 hour labor
Morgan 7 - 6lb 8oz, born on basement stairs less than 5 min. after calling midwife
Riley 6 - 8lb 12oz, 7 hour non-fun labor LOL
Holden 2 - 6lb 12oz, born 15 minutes after the call to the midwife.

I had a 2nd/borderline 3rd degree tear which I ALWAYS get but this was the first time we chose not to stitch, I decided not to transfer to the ER just for stitching at that point. Not really surprising with the speed of the labor but no fun.

An update on the tear: at 8 weeks we realized that the tear is healing open. I do not really have a comfortable option for repair at this time. I wish now (hindsight 20/20) that we had repaired it ourselves instead of allowing it to heal on it's own. We are supergluing it every 2 days to keep it together but I'm feeling at this point that we waited to long and it will continue to heal open now.
#2 of 5 Old 03-03-2010, 11:13 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Despite the lack of heat and water, that sounds dreamy!!

Congratulations on your new little man!

Laurie, wife to guitar.gifDH (Aug/04), mom tobikenew.gifDS1 (Nov/05) and bfinfant.gifDS2 (June/12).

#3 of 5 Old 03-03-2010, 06:47 PM

Wow momma, very quick labors! My mom had quick ones, so I wonder if I will too, gonna prepare for it, just in case (we're doing a homebirth). Did your momma have fast labors? I read that woman birth similiarily to their moms and sisters. I hope your tear heals alright.

Off subject, but do you have any info you could share on how you guys got water uphill to your place without electricity? We aren't off grid (but live in a rural area and on a remote mountainside) but are attempting to design things that runs off grid. Our spring is downhill and are trying to figure out how to get it uphill, to us. Hauling water for now. Thanks in advance for any wisdom you can share.

Bekah (33): Doula and CNA sharing a great life with DH for 10 yrs now, momma to DS Baron (7/10)
#4 of 5 Old 03-03-2010, 10:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by isras1 View Post

Off subject, but do you have any info you could share on how you guys got water uphill to your place without electricity? We aren't off grid (but live in a rural area and on a remote mountainside) but are attempting to design things that runs off grid. Our spring is downhill and are trying to figure out how to get it uphill, to us. Hauling water for now. Thanks in advance for any wisdom you can share.
We used these plans:
http://www.clemson.edu/irrig/Equip/ram.htm

I can say with 100% certainty they DO work. You can search You Tube for "ram pump" videos. The system itself does not freeze even in 3 degree weather but our lines bringing the water up to the house had to be elevated above the animal pastures and they froze the 4th time it hit 3 degrees.

Our spring is about 300 ft below our house and the pump has to be downhill from that....ours is an additional 400 ft. So the pump sits 700 ft below the house. We dropped a point into the spring itself and it flows down to the pump then back up to the house.

I can send you photos and a video or explain more if you want to start a thread in Country Living....or PM me. DH put a lot of trial and error into our water/hot water/solar setup over the years and he'd be happy to help save someone else the error part of that LOL.
#5 of 5 Old 03-25-2010, 09:52 PM

So fast! That is amazing mama!

Lovestruck luxlove.gif mama to Girlie #1 energy.gifand Girlie #2 on the way!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page