Lovely Roaring Home Birth to my Third Baby - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 07-21-2010, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I love reading others' birth stories and wanted to share mine here. This is my first home birth and will be my last birth as we are not planning to have any more children. It was a very healing and lovely birth.

I had been having prelabour and prodromal labour for about 2 weeks before his birth and it was driving me up the wall! So when I started getting ctxns at 4:45 a.m. on Tuesday, July 20, I waited a bit to see if they'd intensify or peter out... but since I had a fast 3 hr labour with dd2, the MWs wanted me to contact them right away. At 6 a.m. I paged the MW because while the ctxns were short, they were regular and kept getting closer together. In an hour they went from 6 min apart to 4 min to 3 to 2 to 3 to 5 again... The calvalry arrived at about 7 a.m. The MW checked me and I was 4-5 cm, 80% effaced.

My dad picked up the kids at 8 a.m. and yeah, I was reaaaallly glad he did when things got rolling because I really let myself surrender and made quite a lot of rukus. My baby had been ROA/ROT, I did lunges and stuff during labour to try to get him OA. Instead he went ROP! I had only had about 3 hrs of sleep when labour started so I was tired. After lunges I went to bed for a bit... then hated lying down through the surges, felt restless, got up and spent a lot of time on the toilet. Things started to get more difficult and intense, I was breathing through ctxns with my eyes closed and really working through them. My lower back was really starting to hurt so I had my doula bring a hot water bottle which helped.

Again I got really restless and overheard the MWs whispering that this baby would come soon. Would I like to lay on the birthing bed? Yes. Then things really got rolling.

I then had terrible back labour because he was OP. OMG, I had some back labour before with the girls but nothing like this. If my doula and dh and MWs weren't there to press on my lower back and do hip squeezes, I would NOT have been able to cope. I was shocked by the intensity of the pain.

I got to a good roaring 8 c.m. and my MW kept dangling the AROM carrot. Finally I felt like I had had enough waiting and trying to let my body do it alone. I just wanted this baby to be born! The MW broke my water at 10:55 a.m., about 6 hrs from the time I had my first ctx, about 5 hrs from when active labour started.

When she broke my water, baby finally came all the way down, pushed the last bit of cervix out of the way... everything just went super intense, super fast. Dh said I scared him with my intensity. Once I got the urge to push I flipped from my side up on to hands and knees. I pushed like an animal, roaring through it all. I just wanted to get this baby out ASAP!!! I felt like I was going to rip in half at the ring of fire, and while I'm screaming that and shouting HELP ME! my MW calmly says, "Yes it feels like that, and you just have to push into that feeling." I knew it was true, but I had to get a psychological foothold to do it, you know? "Okay," I said, and then roared him down. "Where is he?" "His head is starting to come out, feel for yourself." OMG that was the coolest thing, once I felt his little head sticking out of my vagina, I pushed the rest of him out - head, neck - relief, shoulders, he just slid all out in one push while I was on my hands and knees at 11:00 a.m.

I flipped onto my back. He was quite blue for awhile after he had been born because of how quickly he came into the world. They placed him right on my belly. He did a little crying and squaking but the MWs wanted more so they gave him some good rubs and heel flicks. I was sooo happy to see him and sooo relieved it was over. He pinked up nicely after they took him, did some stuff, and then placed him back skin-to-skin with me. I birthed the placenta at 11:05 a.m. with no fuss.

I only had a one degree tear and a couple of little lacerations around my clitoris... I opted to just close my legs for a week and get lots of rest rather than have them stitch it.

The girls are thrilled - well, esp. dd1. She is over the moon for her little brother and won't stop loving on him. Dd2 is taking the transition with some difficulty. She had been regressing back to wetting herself frequently even though she's potty trained for eons now. She had been crying a lot and very clingy. She's also 2.5 so she's going through all the 2/3 year old stuff being independent, argumentative, etc. Poor little munchkin. Dh and I are doing our best to give her lots of TLC. She'll be okay.

I thank the Lord my mother is here to take the kids during the day, and dh is off work until Aug 9 to mother me while I nurse and take care of ds. He nurses a lot so I've been very sleep deprived in the first 24 hrs, also due to the fact that I only slept 3 hrs before he was born.

I'm really loving on him and dh and I are quite amazed at how ds looks sooo much like dh's late father, who died a month before dd2 was born. It's eerie. We feel so blessed.

wash.gif  Me  + bikenew.gif Dh =  broc1.gif  Dd1(9 yrs) + hearts.gif  Dd2(6 yrs) and blowkiss.gif Ds(3.5 yrs)
#2 of 5 Old 07-21-2010, 05:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Such a sweet story. You did amazing! Congratulations!

Sarah, mother of three kiddos
#3 of 5 Old 07-21-2010, 07:15 PM

Congrads, Surfacing. I was checking over here cause I saw you thread in Birth &Beyond. Yay

"Breastfeeding is a robust, biologically stable activity so central to our evolutionary identity that it names the class of animals to which we belong" (Breastfeeding Atlas, Third Edition)
#4 of 5 Old 07-21-2010, 11:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thank you Mamas.

wash.gif  Me  + bikenew.gif Dh =  broc1.gif  Dd1(9 yrs) + hearts.gif  Dd2(6 yrs) and blowkiss.gif Ds(3.5 yrs)
#5 of 5 Old 07-23-2010, 12:06 AM

Congrats Surfacing, you did an amazing job, and welcome to your baby boy!

Paula, mama to DS M (7/2010) sleepytime.gif and Watson (1998) dog2.gif and welcoming baby Penny (8/1/2013) babyf.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page