Nathan's Homebirth - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 11-30-2010, 07:16 AM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I wrote this up over a couple of days, and then it sort of became a letter to DS, too... but I just wanted to get it all down! And so I'm just slapping it up here to share :)

Nathan’s Birth Story

I woke up Saturday morning around six and sort of felt, even in bed, that I was having some of the tightening feelings I’d experienced a bit the previous few days.  But it was hard to tell.  I got up with Sophie and because it was a rainy day we stayed in our PJs and went downstairs.  We had some breakfast, read a little, played... and before too long I started tidying up, thinking that perhaps this was going to be the day.  I was crampy and still wasn’t sure if it was just my tummy, but I had several strong feelings as I sat and as I tidied, irregular but persistent, so I began to think this was something new happening.  Sophie began to get excited that the birth could be today.  By 8:30 I told Sophie we had to wake up Daddy, because I was thinking we needed to shower and perhaps start getting things ready.  Sophie began calling up the stairs to Daddy, saying, Something’s happening! Which was adorable.  Throughout the day Sophie would note, You’re having feelings! Or, oh, you’re birthing on the birth ball! And, the birth is going to be today?!  So we knew she was very interested and excited.  She’d been waiting for her little brother for a long time!

We took our showers and took turns vacuuming, which seemed silly, but had to be done.  One last thing on the to-do list!  While David was upstairs showering I gave Sophie a little massage, which we have recently rediscovered our joy in, just like when she was a baby.  I think this helped us connect and center our energy and helped her see how the day was going to be-- later, she would provide me with lovely massages and touches and kind gentle words.  She would tell me, Don’t get tense! Then David worked on setting up the beds with the extra sheets and tarps, and then filling the birth pool.  I took some time to cuddle with Sophie on the green bed and listen to my hypnobabies affirmations.  I took care of some things downstairs, making some tea, leaving a note to the sibling-doula (who ended up being Naomi, because Rachel was in Anaheim for her Bradley training-- so grateful we had two amazing young women offer to help us during our family’s special time!).  

I called my mom to let her know we thought the birth might be happening that day.  I sat on the birth ball and chatted, and I did have to focus on the waves during that time.  I also was making the tea.  My mom talked about wanting to be focused into my birth-- she has promised to write up her experience, as she prayed and a great rainstorm hit Davis right as you were born and she knew it was the time!  Knowing she was there for me, even far away, knowing my mother was with me in this, was very helpful as the birth got intense.

At some point we called Andrea to give her a head’s up that it could very possibly be today, and Naomi as well.  Later, I did some hypnobabies in the white bed as David and Sophie did the pool, but I was restless.  I told David I wanted to call the midwives to come, then I could relax.  

I was holding on to my birth beads (from my due date club on mothering.com, we each sent in beads to exchange-- each one provided an affirmation or visualization that helped me, like one looked like the ocean, my major image for birthing, one looked like the earth, reminding me of all the women birthing around the world that day, others were flowers or reminiscent of the cervix or uterus, or were made of stones that provided strength and focus for birthing, or had intricate patterns to lose myself in with nonfocused awareness....) and my little birthing statue I made before Sophie’s birth.  I really liked holding on to these things, although later, in the pool, I wanted them just where I could see them, because holding on was too tense, I had to let go.

It was very, very sweet to cuddle with Sophie on the bed.  David kept marveling at how excellent she was at this, naturally offering me comfort and calm.  I did explain to Sophie that I was finding her touch best in the upper half of my body; her hands on my back were great, but my belly and hips and legs were full of a dark energy that I just wanted to let go.

The midwives began showing up.  They helped set up the beds a bit more and talked about if i wanted to be checked.  I did, but we were caught up in other things a bit.  We did do the blood pressure and all that.  At this point I was concentrating through the waves, stopping to breath and relax.  I was okay sitting on my own, but soon I always wanted someone near me, particularly David.  Having him near helped a great deal.  Just being able to hold his hand made me feel a million times better through each wave.  While I was sitting on the edge of the white bed, my water broke.  It was just warm water pouring forward all of a sudden, during a wave.   When we told Andrea, she said she definitely wanted to check me then.  They did the doppler and you were doing well.  Andrea noted I had some time, I was only 3 cm and later I heard that you were still very high, too.  Things were so different with this birth!  I was feeling less zoned out than last time for sure, but perhaps more present.  Even later I was more able to move around and less lost in labor land.  

Naomi had come around this time, and I’m sure Sophie was beginning to have a lot of fun with her.  But there wouldn’t even be time for too much of the birth-day gifts or distractions we’d cooked up.  I think Naomi did get Sophie some dinner, perhaps after the birth, and she ended up taking pictures and helping out a lot; that was wonderful.  Sophie came in each hour or less and checked to see if there was a head yet.  She had kept wanted to check about that before when it was just her and me relaxing in the green bed, too!  I told her there was plenty of time.  She was excited later when she saw I had removed my pants and was in my birthing gown (the same I wore when I birthed her) because she knew the baby couldn’t come out when I had pants on.

So I got into the pool and David sat by my side.  The water was so warm and wonderful.  I just had my brown bra on and I was pretty comfortable.  I just hung and leaned on the side and started moaning through the waves.  Making low vocalizations helped me ride each wave.  I held onto David and he placed his hand on my head and shoulder.  I was able to rest well between each.  Sophie came in to check on things and splashed around a bit.  

Things were getting intense in the water.  They asked if I wanted to get up to pee and I said yes.  I did a few waves seated, David got to take a quick break.  I said I just wanted to try the bed for a bit.  I was interested in seeing if I could relax differently there.  It was all right-- I definitely liked resting my head on the pillow.  Some waves were really getting away from me-- or rather I wanted to get away from them.  Deborah helped by rubbing my feet during them-- this pulled my awareness way downward, past the pressure in my belly and hips and legs, so that helped a great deal.  I was wondering if I felt like pushing-- I tried grunting a bit but it didn’t seem quite there.  Finally I decided to get back in the tub.  Almost immediately I switched to pushing.  I had been trying hard during all of this to keep my vocalizations low and loose, but sometimes I was wailing or just yelling quite low.  I was keeping it low but grunting more now.  Andrea gently talked about different ways, all good, to vocalize and let the energy move baby down, I think.  I had a little freak out, where I told David I didn’t know, please... luckily part of my brain was thinking about how when women reach this point, that means they’re about to have their baby.  But part of me was worried it would still be too long and I was getting very done with the intense waves!  Of course I didn’t realize that I had done pretty much all the work of birthing in about two hours so it was really intense but I’d be holding you in just minutes.

I started pushing.  At first it was a scary feeling, but very soon I settled into it and it felt great.  I remember loving pushing last time, although it was wildly intense.  This time very quickly I just loved it, I loved that wild sublime place of being.  In fact, looking back, as much as I wanted baby out so I could be done, I was a little sad I didn’t get to be in that place a bit longer.  But I pushed a few times, and I asked if you were coming.  Then I knew it was really just about time.  I could feel everything.  Andrea had David and I feel your head.  She had me move both my hands down in the water to position myself.  I’m pretty sure she was manipulating you a bit.  That felt awkward but pushing felt great.  I could feel the head coming out.  Andrea asked me to find my breath and I relaxed for a moment, then I birthed I think the head, and then the body, and before I knew it, she was saying, Your baby’s in the pool and she had me sit back and pick you up, and I saw your wet squishy baby face and you were beautiful, beautiful, you were mine, and perfect.  I scooped you up into my arms and sat back holding you, I couldn’t believe I was holding you.  I was so glad to be done birthing and so tremendously excited to meet you, to have you in my arms at last.  Everything else fell away and here was you.  I know I said, Baby, baby.  And Hello, Nathan.  And I looked at David and showed you to him, and Sophie, too.  I couldn’t believe it but there you were, and there was our family, added to suddenly but so perfect.

I had to take off my bra because it was too cold for you, and sit with you lower in the pool to keep you warm, but pretty quickly I had to get out anyway so they could take your cord blood because I’m Rh negative, and there was some separation bleeding.  So I got on the bed and cuddled you, they dried us both off quickly, and Sophie and David climbed into bed, too.  Before long I birthed the placenta, and Andrea showed Sophie and David and me all about it, the side that faced me and the side that faced you, and the sac where you had lived.  They held the cord for me to feel; they wanted to let it pulse for as long as possible to get the great cord blood to you, but they had to take blood to test before it stopped.  So when it was slowing down they clamped it and Sophie (with David’s help) cut the cord.  And at some point I had my exam and Andrea said I had the tiniest little thing that probably wouldn’t even sting when I peed, and she was right! That was an awesome surprise about this birth, although I am still sore at times a week later, I hated that stinging last time.  And I was trying to nurse you, but you kept putting your hand in your mouth! We figured you must have done that a lot in the womb (and you do love your hands and suck on them, although you seem to appreciate nursies more now, though I’ve caught you sucking your thumb in the night, too).  But I did finally get you to latch on, and we had some nice time, just you and David and me.  Sophie was getting dinner.  We took some pictures and video.  I also called my mom and told her you had arrived, and she said she knew it right at the time because she was praying and felt intense right then and the rainstorm hit hard and she felt like it was announcing your birth.  Then the midwives said I really had to get up to pee to help my uterus contract.  So David held you and I got up, and then, I think it was, they did the newborn exam, and you were 8 pounds 8 ounces and 20 and ¼ inches and your head was 14 or so inches, and you did the reflexes they check for and everything.  Sophie was very excited to see the sling or hammock baby scale, just like in her homebirth picture and coloring books.  The midwives were guessing that you’d be heavier, 9 pounds something, but you were really close to Sophie in size, actually.  You did seem just like her-- the first few days you really reminded me of her as a baby, and then your features sort of took over, as I’m sure hers did too.  Actually David and I, but especially me, kept saying “she” the first few days, I guess we’re just so used to our baby or kid being a she, not that we thought of you as a girl, but just the word pops out naturally, especially as we were exhausted.  But now we’ve got the pronouns down!  So we decided to get settled in, and I moved to the white bed, and everyone helped clean up, and Naomi took some pictures and Sophie held you for the first time, and she loves doing that, she always wants to hold you or touch your hands or kiss your head.

Before long Naomi took her leave, and then the midwives were giving instructions for caring for me and you, and then they were done and it was just us, our little but bigger than it had been that morning family.  David brought me some lasagna he had baked up after the birth and it was so wonderful to eat and just love on you.  Sophie was up so late and it had been so exciting, so we had her get in the white bed and I held you and sang to her and David cuddled her, and she fell right asleep, and you were asleep, and it was marvelous being all together in our family bed.  David moved Sophie to her own bed, and we settled in for the night.  I mostly sat back and held you, and my hips ached like when I was pregnant, and I tried to calm down and get some sleep, but you did want to nurse whenever I dropped off, but we still got some great rest in.  We were both tired from our big day!  

The first days you nursed a lot.  It was an endurance thing to stay up most of the night, and sleep leaning back a lot.  But you were doing what you needed to do, you brought in the milk, and then you became a champion sleeper! You are sleeping beside me right now.  You sleep and sleep and sleep.  You are so mellow.  You didn’t even cry during the PKU heel prick blood test, not one bit.  You have barely cried at all, not even a handful of times, for mere seconds at a time.  I think we’ve both been fighting off a light cold for a few days, but we’re hanging in there.  You do have a bump on your head, probably from coming down so fast, perhaps when my water broke, but it should go down soon.  You just wiggle and make noises in your sleep, and you are so calm when you want to nurse; it’s like you know as soon as I position you that it’s coming.  You hate the cold wipes (we started with disposable for a couple days, or if we’d just mixed up the cloth wipe solution).  But you just love hanging out with Daddy, asleep or gazing at him.  You’ve gone from having swollen eyes that never opened and grimacing in the light to loving to look at windows and lights.  You seem to like it when I sing to you.  And we just took a nursing break, and you are just the sweetest, sweetest baby.  I am so joyously in love with you.

I woke up Saturday morning around six and sort of felt, even in bed, that I was having some of the tightening feelings I’d experienced a bit the previous few days.  But it was hard to tell.  I got up with Sophie and because it was a rainy day we stayed in our PJs and went downstairs.  We had some breakfast, read a little, played... and before too long I started tidying up, thinking that perhaps this was going to be the day.  I was crampy and still wasn’t sure if it was just my tummy, but I had several strong feelings as I sat and as I tidied, irregular but persistent, so I began to think this was something new happening.  Sophie began to get excited that the birth could be today.  By 8:30 I told Sophie we had to wake up Daddy, because I was thinking we needed to shower and perhaps start getting things ready.  Sophie began calling up the stairs to Daddy, saying, Something’s happening! Which was adorable.  Throughout the day Sophie would note, You’re having feelings! Or, oh, you’re birthing on the birth ball! And, the birth is going to be today?!  So we knew she was very interested and excited.  She’d been waiting for her little brother for a long time!

We took our showers and took turns vacuuming, which seemed silly, but had to be done.  One last thing on the to-do list!  While David was upstairs showering I gave Sophie a little massage, which we have recently rediscovered our joy in, just like when she was a baby.  I think this helped us connect and center our energy and helped her see how the day was going to be-- later, she would provide me with lovely massages and touches and kind gentle words.  She would tell me, Don’t get tense! Then David worked on setting up the beds with the extra sheets and tarps, and then filling the birth pool.  I took some time to cuddle with Sophie on the green bed and listen to my hypnobabies affirmations.  I took care of some things downstairs, making some tea, leaving a note to the sibling-doula (who ended up being Naomi, because Rachel was in Anaheim for her Bradley training-- so grateful we had two amazing young women offer to help us during our family’s special time!).  

I called my mom to let her know we thought the birth might be happening that day.  I sat on the birth ball and chatted, and I did have to focus on the waves during that time.  I also was making the tea.  My mom talked about wanting to be focused into my birth-- she has promised to write up her experience, as she prayed and a great rainstorm hit Davis right as you were born and she knew it was the time!  Knowing she was there for me, even far away, knowing my mother was with me in this, was very helpful as the birth got intense.

At some point we called Andrea to give her a head’s up that it could very possibly be today, and Naomi as well.  Later, I did some hypnobabies in the white bed as David and Sophie did the pool, but I was restless.  I told David I wanted to call the midwives to come, then I could relax.  

I was holding on to my birth beads (from my due date club on mothering.com, we each sent in beads to exchange-- each one provided an affirmation or visualization that helped me, like one looked like the ocean, my major image for birthing, one looked like the earth, reminding me of all the women birthing around the world that day, others were flowers or reminiscent of the cervix or uterus, or were made of stones that provided strength and focus for birthing, or had intricate patterns to lose myself in with nonfocused awareness....) and my little birthing statue I made before Sophie’s birth.  I really liked holding on to these things, although later, in the pool, I wanted them just where I could see them, because holding on was too tense, I had to let go.

It was very, very sweet to cuddle with Sophie on the bed.  David kept marveling at how excellent she was at this, naturally offering me comfort and calm.  I did explain to Sophie that I was finding her touch best in the upper half of my body; her hands on my back were great, but my belly and hips and legs were full of a dark energy that I just wanted to let go.

The midwives began showing up.  They helped set up the beds a bit more and talked about if i wanted to be checked.  I did, but we were caught up in other things a bit.  We did do the blood pressure and all that.  At this point I was concentrating through the waves, stopping to breath and relax.  I was okay sitting on my own, but soon I always wanted someone near me, particularly David.  Having him near helped a great deal.  Just being able to hold his hand made me feel a million times better through each wave.  While I was sitting on the edge of the white bed, my water broke.  It was just warm water pouring forward all of a sudden, during a wave.   When we told Andrea, she said she definitely wanted to check me then.  They did the doppler and you were doing well.  Andrea noted I had some time, I was only 3 cm and later I heard that you were still very high, too.  Things were so different with this birth!  I was feeling less zoned out than last time for sure, but perhaps more present.  Even later I was more able to move around and less lost in labor land.  

Naomi had come around this time, and I’m sure Sophie was beginning to have a lot of fun with her.  But there wouldn’t even be time for too much of the birth-day gifts or distractions we’d cooked up.  I think Naomi did get Sophie some dinner, perhaps after the birth, and she ended up taking pictures and helping out a lot; that was wonderful.  Sophie came in each hour or less and checked to see if there was a head yet.  She had kept wanted to check about that before when it was just her and me relaxing in the green bed, too!  I told her there was plenty of time.  She was excited later when she saw I had removed my pants and was in my birthing gown (the same I wore when I birthed her) because she knew the baby couldn’t come out when I had pants on.

So I got into the pool and David sat by my side.  The water was so warm and wonderful.  I just had my brown bra on and I was pretty comfortable.  I just hung and leaned on the side and started moaning through the waves.  Making low vocalizations helped me ride each wave.  I held onto David and he placed his hand on my head and shoulder.  I was able to rest well between each.  Sophie came in to check on things and splashed around a bit.  

Things were getting intense in the water.  They asked if I wanted to get up to pee and I said yes.  I did a few waves seated, David got to take a quick break.  I said I just wanted to try the bed for a bit.  I was interested in seeing if I could relax differently there.  It was all right-- I definitely liked resting my head on the pillow.  Some waves were really getting away from me-- or rather I wanted to get away from them.  Deborah helped by rubbing my feet during them-- this pulled my awareness way downward, past the pressure in my belly and hips and legs, so that helped a great deal.  I was wondering if I felt like pushing-- I tried grunting a bit but it didn’t seem quite there.  Finally I decided to get back in the tub.  Almost immediately I switched to pushing.  I had been trying hard during all of this to keep my vocalizations low and loose, but sometimes I was wailing or just yelling quite low.  I was keeping it low but grunting more now.  Andrea gently talked about different ways, all good, to vocalize and let the energy move baby down, I think.  I had a little freak out, where I told David I didn’t know, please... luckily part of my brain was thinking about how when women reach this point, that means they’re about to have their baby.  But part of me was worried it would still be too long and I was getting very done with the intense waves!  Of course I didn’t realize that I had done pretty much all the work of birthing in about two hours so it was really intense but I’d be holding you in just minutes.

I started pushing.  At first it was a scary feeling, but very soon I settled into it and it felt great.  I remember loving pushing last time, although it was wildly intense.  This time very quickly I just loved it, I loved that wild sublime place of being.  In fact, looking back, as much as I wanted baby out so I could be done, I was a little sad I didn’t get to be in that place a bit longer.  But I pushed a few times, and I asked if you were coming.  Then I knew it was really just about time.  I could feel everything.  Andrea had David and I feel your head.  She had me move both my hands down in the water to position myself.  I’m pretty sure she was manipulating you a bit.  That felt awkward but pushing felt great.  I could feel the head coming out.  Andrea asked me to find my breath and I relaxed for a moment, then I birthed I think the head, and then the body, and before I knew it, she was saying, Your baby’s in the pool and she had me sit back and pick you up, and I saw your wet squishy baby face and you were beautiful, beautiful, you were mine, and perfect.  I scooped you up into my arms and sat back holding you, I couldn’t believe I was holding you.  I was so glad to be done birthing and so tremendously excited to meet you, to have you in my arms at last.  Everything else fell away and here was you.  I know I said, Baby, baby.  And Hello, Nathan.  And I looked at David and showed you to him, and Sophie, too.  I couldn’t believe it but there you were, and there was our family, added to suddenly but so perfect.

I had to take off my bra because it was too cold for you, and sit with you lower in the pool to keep you warm, but pretty quickly I had to get out anyway so they could take your cord blood because I’m Rh negative, and there was some separation bleeding.  So I got on the bed and cuddled you, they dried us both off quickly, and Sophie and David climbed into bed, too.  Before long I birthed the placenta, and Andrea showed Sophie and David and me all about it, the side that faced me and the side that faced you, and the sac where you had lived.  They held the cord for me to feel; they wanted to let it pulse for as long as possible to get the great cord blood to you, but they had to take blood to test before it stopped.  So when it was slowing down they clamped it and Sophie (with David’s help) cut the cord.  And at some point I had my exam and Andrea said I had the tiniest little thing that probably wouldn’t even sting when I peed, and she was right! That was an awesome surprise about this birth, although I am still sore at times a week later, I hated that stinging last time.  And I was trying to nurse you, but you kept putting your hand in your mouth! We figured you must have done that a lot in the womb (and you do love your hands and suck on them, although you seem to appreciate nursies more now, though I’ve caught you sucking your thumb in the night, too).  But I did finally get you to latch on, and we had some nice time, just you and David and me.  Sophie was getting dinner.  We took some pictures and video.  I also called my mom and told her you had arrived, and she said she knew it right at the time because she was praying and felt intense right then and the rainstorm hit hard and she felt like it was announcing your birth.  Then the midwives said I really had to get up to pee to help my uterus contract.  So David held you and I got up, and then, I think it was, they did the newborn exam, and you were 8 pounds 8 ounces and 20 and ¼ inches and your head was 14 or so inches, and you did the reflexes they check for and everything.  Sophie was very excited to see the sling or hammock baby scale, just like in her homebirth picture and coloring books.  The midwives were guessing that you’d be heavier, 9 pounds something, but you were really close to Sophie in size, actually.  You did seem just like her-- the first few days you really reminded me of her as a baby, and then your features sort of took over, as I’m sure hers did too.  Actually David and I, but especially me, kept saying “she” the first few days, I guess we’re just so used to our baby or kid being a she, not that we thought of you as a girl, but just the word pops out naturally, especially as we were exhausted.  But now we’ve got the pronouns down!  So we decided to get settled in, and I moved to the white bed, and everyone helped clean up, and Naomi took some pictures and Sophie held you for the first time, and she loves doing that, she always wants to hold you or touch your hands or kiss your head.

Before long Naomi took her leave, and then the midwives were giving instructions for caring for me and you, and then they were done and it was just us, our little but bigger than it had been that morning family.  David brought me some lasagna he had baked up after the birth and it was so wonderful to eat and just love on you.  Sophie was up so late and it had been so exciting, so we had her get in the white bed and I held you and sang to her and David cuddled her, and she fell right asleep, and you were asleep, and it was marvelous being all together in our family bed.  David moved Sophie to her own bed, and we settled in for the night.  I mostly sat back and held you, and my hips ached like when I was pregnant, and I tried to calm down and get some sleep, but you did want to nurse whenever I dropped off, but we still got some great rest in.  We were both tired from our big day!  

The first days you nursed a lot.  It was an endurance thing to stay up most of the night, and sleep leaning back a lot.  But you were doing what you needed to do, you brought in the milk, and then you became a champion sleeper! You are sleeping beside me right now.  You sleep and sleep and sleep.  You are so mellow.  You didn’t even cry during the PKU heel prick blood test, not one bit.  You have barely cried at all, not even a handful of times, for mere seconds at a time.  I think we’ve both been fighting off a light cold for a few days, but we’re hanging in there.  You just wiggle and make noises in your sleep, and you are so calm when you want to nurse; it’s like you know as soon as I position you that it’s coming.  You hate the cold wipes (we started with disposable for a couple days, or if we’d just mixed up the cloth wipe solution).  But you just love hanging out with Daddy, asleep or gazing at him.  You’ve gone from having swollen eyes that never opened and grimacing in the light to loving to look at windows and lights.  You seem to like it when I sing to you.  And we just took a nursing break, and you are just the sweetest, sweetest baby.  I am so joyously in love with you.

#2 of 3 Old 11-30-2010, 07:30 AM

Lovely. Congratulations on your sweet baby!

#3 of 3 Old 12-01-2010, 09:35 PM

Your words help me remember the simple joy of those first days. Thank you.

CD'ing, homebirthing, milk making school teacher. Supporting my family on my income and trying to get out of debt in 2013!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page