Hosital VBAC of DS2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 02-21-2011, 05:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

First I must say if it hadn't been for MDC and its gateway to research and connection to local services (ie my amazing MW) this VBAC would not have happened.

At 40w 2d I started early labor around 6 or 7. Strong contractions every 20 minutes. Dh stayed home from work and the contractions persisted all day, just to end the day with contractions now 8-10 minutes apart.

40w 3d By 9 in the morning my contractions had  finally settled more into a pattern of every 5 minutes, but would occasionally jump to 3 or 6. They were then consistently 60-75 seconds long. I called the MW to let them know i was in labor. Had Dh drop DS off at my sisters. When Dh got home I felt...anxious and told him we were leaving right then (the hospital is 1 hour away). I called the MW again and left a message saying we were going in. When we were almost  there and hadn't heard back I called again. She said I was still probably very early, but understood if I didn't want to be a hour away and agreed that if they didn't admit me then I could walk around the near by mall for a while.

We get into the hospital. The nurses looked skeptical about my being very far. Told me to change and wait. About 10 minutes from parking our car the nurse came in to check me and talk to me. I started to have a contraction leaned on Dh and my water broke...everywhere. We were so grateful because our car in in the shop and we had a rental car, my one towel I brought would not have been enough. The nurse laughed and said I had declared myself and was staying. I was checked and found to only be 3-4cm. This was at 12:05.

By 5 I was starting to really tire out. I had done hypnobabies during the pregnancy and found while my attitude in between contractions was great and I felt calm and in control it did not prevent the burning feeling of an over tired muscle (wasn't bad pain but needed focus to breath through, relaxing did nothing other than make me feel trapped) I asked for something to help me sleep a while so I wouldn't be too exhausted when it came time to push. I was given benadryl and something. 

During the last few days of the pregnancy I had not been sleeping at night, and was able to catch a nap for a couple hours a day so at this point I hadn't slept for 26 hours.

I slept until 7. I told Dh if I'm not pretty far along I don't know that I will be able to do this without an epidural. Again the pain itself wasn't bad. I was calm and talkative in between contractions, but the energy going out was getting to be too much. I was checked and was found to only be 5cm.

I got the epidural. I didn't feel like a failure, because at this point I knew if I had slept this night before then I would be able to push past the fatigued, but I didn't want to risk being too tired to push.

around 10:30 I started throwing up. I was checked and found to be 7 cm. I threw up every 5-8 contractions (contractions had been come 3 minutes apart for a few hours now) When I threw up it would be about 4 or 5 x's during the length of the contraction and into the next. Gotta love Dh at this point.

Finally around 1am (13 hours since water broke and I was almost 4cm) I started to feel pushy. I was checked and was complete +1. 

because of the epidural I could not get into a better position to push. I felt everything in my vagina, but none of the contractions in my stomach, so the epidural was working just the right amount. I started pushing at 1-1:20am. The MW mentioned baby's head was rotating which was odd.

2:30am I asked for a break and labored down for a while. We just could get the baby past my pelvic bone. Dh was fantastic in helping me through all of this.

3am We started again. My MW massaged my peranium and stretched me during each contraction. I was started to get delirious at this point loosing time. I felt defeated and told Dh I could do it anymore, but each contraction I 'woke up' and pushed with all my might. I started feeling the baby retract after each contraction so the MW had Dh and the nurse hold my legs up in between contraction and that help the baby stay in place. I did mention to Dh we might end up adopting any more kids.

We were almost crowning for 10 minutes and the MW asked if I'd be ok with a few small cuts to my hymen. She said might was tight and tough preventing the baby. Had I more energy to push I could try to push past it. I told her OK, since it wasn't an epsiotomy. she cut three small cuts. 1 push I crowned 2nd I felt the head 3 and 4th the baby came out.  The baby was sunny side up. He had turned while the in the birth canal.

DS2 was born at 4:07am

I was so relived and Done. Dh and I both forgot to check the sex for a few minutes.

DS 21inch long (though that included the cone head) and 8lbs even. Perfect health.

I had no tearing and the MW gave three small stitches where she had cut. I did have pitocin because I was bleeding quite a bit.

I am forever grateful to my MW. I only progressed 1/2 cm an hour, and she didn't augment labor. I pushed for 3 hours, the baby was doing fine. c/s never entered the table. Also, she sat with me the entire time I pushed stretching and massaging me, which I believe it part of the reason no tears.

So glad to be done and have the beautiful baby.    

biggrinbounce.gifDS 10/09  sleepytime.gifDS 2/17/11 stork-suprise.gif Blessing #3 sometime 2/13

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 02-27-2011, 10:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

YAY! Congratulations on your VBAC.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page