8/26/10. Induced labor, No pain meds - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 04-25-2011, 06:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
http://forum.baby-gaga.com/about1335041.html

My induced but pain med and epi free birth with my 2nd. innocent.gif

BFing , Cloth diapering , Coffee loving, picture taking, SAHM to Aiden (2/18/09) and Landon (8/26/10) and DH.
#2 of 22 Old 05-06-2011, 03:01 PM

Oh, wow! That's just the kind of story I needed to hear right now! I just got back from a midwife appointment and they may need to induce (again!) for growth restriction/low fluid. I'm really determined to have this baby w/o pain meds, but I wasn't sure if it could be done while being induced. Lucky they didn't make you have constant EFM...Not sure I will be so lucky. And if baby's too small they take them to NICU after the birth, as a precaution  :(

Wife to one amazing man and mama to three!

DD1 (03/09), DD2 (06/11), DS (01/14) love.gif

2014: 30/70lbs, 4/52 crafts
#3 of 22 Old 05-08-2011, 03:40 PM

Congrats!   Having a pain-medication free, pitocin induced delivery is HARD HARD HARD!!  I had an induction with my son and didn't have any medication or epidural either.  Way to go mama!

hippie.gif Hi, I'm Amber

Ava {12.20.08}  Levi {8.19.10}  Aspen  {EDD 7.21.13}

#4 of 22 Old 05-10-2011, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lidamama84 View Post

Oh, wow! That's just the kind of story I needed to hear right now! I just got back from a midwife appointment and they may need to induce (again!) for growth restriction/low fluid. I'm really determined to have this baby w/o pain meds, but I wasn't sure if it could be done while being induced. Lucky they didn't make you have constant EFM...Not sure I will be so lucky. And if baby's too small they take them to NICU after the birth, as a precaution  :(

I was actually on a monitor the whole time, the nurse just helped me get the cords as far out as we could so I could still be up.

BFing , Cloth diapering , Coffee loving, picture taking, SAHM to Aiden (2/18/09) and Landon (8/26/10) and DH.
#5 of 22 Old 05-10-2011, 01:29 PM

I just had my girl in March.  Induced, no epidural or pain meds other than Nubain to help me sleep (at my request).  Makes for a wonderful and fulfilling birth-especially when people (at least the people around me) were telling me I'd end up with an epidural!

I wasn't monitered all the time, though.  :)

My friend also went through an induced birth with no pain meds in October.  That's how I knew I could do it!

#6 of 22 Old 05-10-2011, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter

Nubain is def a major pain med! Lol. I had it w/ my first, I'm so glad I didn't have anything like that w/ my second.

#7 of 22 Old 05-11-2011, 12:08 PM

Are you seriously laughing (which is what "lol" means) at me because I'm proud of myself for not having anything other than Nubain?  Or are you laughing because you think I'm ignorant and don't know that it's a pain med?  (Which I had stated "pain meds other than Nubain").  Are you that rude?

For the record, I wasn't in labour when I had it.  I had it because of the Foley Cath that was causing my cervix to painfully dilate with NONE of the beneficial hormones that labour would normally give.  When I went into actual labour (after the Foley came out and the Nubain wore off), my water broke, I had massively painful contractions, and my little bit was born.  (My water broke, I went into labour, and had her, all within an hour...I went from 5 to ready in less than an hour...)

#8 of 22 Old 05-11-2011, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter

Having had it both ways, I just find it amusing when people downplay the use of narcotics during a labor experience. Although they don't help for too long during the labor, the result it has on the LO is very surprising when you have a LO born after narcotics have been in your system vs. Not.
It's still great when you can manage to go w/o the epi tho.
I suppose so many people say they 'went w/o pain meds..except for...' but having meds, even if just to relax and sleep, is a different experience than going through it completely aware of everything.
That's all.

#9 of 22 Old 05-11-2011, 12:38 PM

And there's the hipocrasy that I've come to find in several posters at Mothering.com

Laughing at someone for something they did isn't good.  Itsn't nice.  It isn't polite.  It's just plain rude.  Raining on someone's parade is a nasty thing to do.  Keep those opinions to yourself.

Kelly1101 likes this.
#10 of 22 Old 05-11-2011, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter

Not trying to be rude, but as far as 'raining on someones parade' , wouldn't comparing your birth with pain meds to someone who told their story of doing it w/o be the same?

#11 of 22 Old 05-12-2011, 02:04 PM

C'mon, ladies.  Let's be gentle with each other.  Reasonable minds differ.

OP, congrats on your new baby!  Thanks for sharing your story.

#12 of 22 Old 05-20-2011, 06:01 PM

Wow.

Do you win?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNmommyBFB View Post

Having had it both ways, I just find it amusing when people downplay the use of narcotics during a labor experience. Although they don't help for too long during the labor, the result it has on the LO is very surprising when you have a LO born after narcotics have been in your system vs. Not.
I suppose so many people say they 'went w/o pain meds..except for...' but having meds, even if just to relax and sleep, is a different experience than going through it completely aware of everything.
That's all.

Kelly (28), in love with husband Jason (38) and our awesome babies:  Emma 4/09, and Ozzy 8/10

#13 of 22 Old 05-21-2011, 08:18 AM

Wow!  Well, I've had two beautiful perfectly healthy girls who latched on right away and are beautiful and healthy.  One on the way.  I got an epidural at around 3-4cm with both of them and had completely pain free labors that progressed beautifully and quickly.  I didn't even have to push with my second baby, and after both of their births I was fully alert and able to enjoy every minute since there was no pain keeping me from savoring the moment.  Beat that!

homemademomma, Katico and ajpense like this.
#14 of 22 Old 05-24-2011, 02:36 PM

Quote:

That's all.

shake.gif  Wow.  Patronizing much?

Beth knit.gif.  wife to DH and Mama to DD1 heartbeat.gif (May 1-09) and DD2 heartbeat.gif (Nov 2-11)   

#15 of 22 Old 05-24-2011, 05:02 PM

The narcotics that I had during my labor made the experience absolutely blissful! :)  I wish I'd asked for more doses!

jog.gifkid.gif

#16 of 22 Old 05-24-2011, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewDirections View Post

The narcotics that I had during my labor made the experience absolutely blissful! :)  I wish I'd asked for more doses!

I'll tell ya, I'd go through the whole c/s thing again just to get that beautiful IV hydromorphone!  lol.gif  

Congratulations on your birth, TNMommyBFB!

Mom to two perfect kids earth.gif  surrogate to two sweetpotatos heartbeat.gifheartbeat.gif born 4.21.11  

I love someone with ataxia telangiectasia http://www.atcp.org

#17 of 22 Old 05-24-2011, 05:59 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Congratulations, OP!

Narmowen, don't let others diminish your own birth!   Congrats to you, too!

#18 of 22 Old 05-25-2011, 05:41 AM

nm.   i forgot the rules: if you can't say something nice, etc etc etc.

#19 of 22 Old 05-25-2011, 05:58 PM

Quote:

Not trying to be rude, but as far as 'raining on someones parade' , wouldn't comparing your birth with pain meds to someone who told their story of doing it w/o be the same?

No, not at all. She shared her story because YOUR story struck a chord with her. She was not trying to one-up you or rain on your parade. Her experience of her birth in no way diminishes yours. 

Kelly1101 likes this.

Mom to two perfect kids earth.gif  surrogate to two sweetpotatos heartbeat.gifheartbeat.gif born 4.21.11  

I love someone with ataxia telangiectasia http://www.atcp.org

#20 of 22 Old 05-26-2011, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narmowen View Post

I just had my girl in March.  Induced, no epidural or pain meds other than Nubain to help me sleep (at my request).  Makes for a wonderful and fulfilling birth-especially when people (at least the people around me) were telling me I'd end up with an epidural!

I wasn't monitered all the time, though.  :)

My friend also went through an induced birth with no pain meds in October.  That's how I knew I could do it!

You rock thumb.gif.  Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

lather, rinse, repeat
#21 of 22 Old 05-30-2011, 12:55 PM

Congratulations to both the OP and everyone else who had a wonderful birth.

Just a note as I saw where the original birth story was posted--this forum is A LOT different than many out there and is generally less tolerant of certain behaviors.  Keeps it nice here IMO.

#22 of 22 Old 12-29-2013, 10:06 AM

Any pain med suggestions? What did u use?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page