My Beautiful outside homebirth and special surprise baby (Lots of pics in #39 update in #70 & 38) - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

#31 of 80 Old 07-30-2011, 10:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Such a cute picture! You guys look so happy despite the shock you described in your story! I am glad Dean is off the vent and getting your milk. Please keep the updates coming since I am sure I am not the only one thinking about you a lot and wondering how you are doing and how Dean is progressing.

Barbara, Mama to Isabel (06/2004), Jake (08/2006-03/2007), Noah (01/2008), and Matteo (07/2011) 
Please always research the safety of vaccines even if your doctor tells you they are harmless! novaxnocirc.gif

#32 of 80 Old 07-30-2011, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gismobabe View Post
Please keep the updates coming since I am sure I am not the only one thinking about you a lot and wondering how you are doing and how Dean is progressing.

yeahthat.gif

And I love your family picture!!  It's adorable! love.gif

ahhh to be able to think well enough to create a clever signature.sleeping.gif someday i will have enough sleep to accomplish this task...

Janae, mama to X (1/09) & X (7/11) and wife to J (since 9/96!)  Homebirthing, cloth diapering, baby (and toddler) wearing, co-sleeping, lactivist, intactivist. luxlove.gif

#33 of 80 Old 07-30-2011, 02:34 PM

Me too Mama and what a beautiful picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourist. View Post

yeahthat.gif

And I love your family picture!!  It's adorable! love.gif

Lisa, Mama to two 2-26-09 and 6-15-11

"Hey baby, do you like trains?"

#34 of 80 Old 07-30-2011, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter

He was getting TPN and IV hydration until last night. The stopped that last night and started increasing his gavage feeds. Now he's off the high flow O2 and just on a nasal cannula with room air joy.gif and tolerated the increase in feeds so well that I get to resume breastfeeding joy.gif:joy:joy
He's sleeping skin to skin on papa right now, so sweet. so things are looking good. I dont have a good idea as to when we might be able to be discharged but I'm not pushing it since I dont want to be alone at home and have him do something sneaky.
lovelylisa likes this.

Jenica- Wife to R & mama to C 8/27/09, my little blonde bombshell and D 7/23/11, whom we love so much we gave him an extra chromosome      cd.gifwinner.jpgfemalesling.GIF

#35 of 80 Old 07-30-2011, 06:32 PM

he is absolutely darling!!! congrats!!!

#36 of 80 Old 07-31-2011, 12:58 PM

Great news!!!  joy.gif

ahhh to be able to think well enough to create a clever signature.sleeping.gif someday i will have enough sleep to accomplish this task...

Janae, mama to X (1/09) & X (7/11) and wife to J (since 9/96!)  Homebirthing, cloth diapering, baby (and toddler) wearing, co-sleeping, lactivist, intactivist. luxlove.gif

#37 of 80 Old 07-31-2011, 01:44 PM

OMG! He's beautiful. Congratulations! joy.gif

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#38 of 80 Old 08-02-2011, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter

So little Dean Anthony isn't so little anymore. Despite not being able to eat for 5 of his 10 days, he's now 6-12- 3 oz over birth weight !! eat.gif He's a little piglet just like his older brother!
He's now off the gavage feedings since he was taking in so much at the breast. They somehow had it figured that he should be getting 58mL every 3 hours and would weigh him before and after breast feeds and he'd take in 80-90mL's. So they're trusting him to eat what he needs which is one step closer to the door!
They repeated the Echocardiogram today to check his pulmonary pressures, which they think is what caused his distress, and if it looks like its resolved then they'll turn off the minimal amount of air flow he's getting now (0.5L of room air) and see how he does. SO... I'm hoping to be home by Friday. wish us luck. I'm missing older DS since it's been 10 short but long days since I've seen him. I'm just so excited to get home and have a family again!

Jenica- Wife to R & mama to C 8/27/09, my little blonde bombshell and D 7/23/11, whom we love so much we gave him an extra chromosome      cd.gifwinner.jpgfemalesling.GIF

#39 of 80 Old 08-02-2011, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter

Here are a few pics to chronicle my last 10 days...

Laboring with my face buried in the towels and the sun warm on my back..

Love the little breaks

Pushing

My beautiful little blue baby. Apgars were 6/9

Paramedics checking out baby. I'm sitting out of sight bawling

baby Dean breastfeeding like a champ from the start, despite the O2

Poor kid went downhill fast- on the ventilator, packed and ready to go

Baby's first flight- luckily papa was able to see him off and I was able to meet him on the other side.

greensad.gif ready for his umbilical lines

after a few days, he's off the vent and snuggling with papa

Now he's back to the breast when ever he wants and is only on the minimum O2 and gaining weight like a champ!

mamabear7 likes this.

#40 of 80 Old 08-02-2011, 07:59 PM

Wow, thanks for sharing those pics. Good luck to you guys & getting him home soon :)

Mama to boy born 7/18/11 and another on the way in November '13  Rainbow.gif

#41 of 80 Old 08-02-2011, 08:18 PM

Aww that last picture brought tears to my eyes, on the verge of tears here...it's so super sweet. Thank you for sharing the pictures, they are amazing.

#42 of 80 Old 08-02-2011, 08:41 PM

Beautiful birth and beautiful baby boy joy.gif

Happily married since '06 joy.gif SAHM to DS biggrinbounce.gif Asher born April of '08 and DD energy.gifEvangeline born April of '09. Expecting stork-suprise.gif and planning our first h20homebirth.gif in February of 2012.

#43 of 80 Old 08-02-2011, 10:50 PM

Wow - I am so happy he is not hooked up to this kind of machinery anymore! I love the outside labor, you look cute even when pushing!
Sending my love to your family!

Barbara, Mama to Isabel (06/2004), Jake (08/2006-03/2007), Noah (01/2008), and Matteo (07/2011) 
Please always research the safety of vaccines even if your doctor tells you they are harmless! novaxnocirc.gif

#44 of 80 Old 08-03-2011, 07:40 AM

I'm so glad to hear that Dean is doing better! Here's hoping he comes home soon! hug2.gif

#45 of 80 Old 08-03-2011, 07:54 PM

He's such a beautiful baby! Congratulations! Hope he's home with you very very soon!

Consciously mothering 3 girls and 2 boys
#46 of 80 Old 08-04-2011, 09:33 AM

Wonderful pics! He's so beautiful, glad things are looking up and he's nursing and gaining- YAY!!

#47 of 80 Old 08-04-2011, 09:40 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Oh, mama, your story made me cry!  What a beautiful way to welcome such a beautiful little boy into the world!  I'm glad that he got the care that he needed, but when I think of you telling him his birth story as he gets older, it makes me tear up again.  So special.  So blessed. 

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#48 of 80 Old 08-04-2011, 03:38 PM

Beautiful photos. I'm so glad he's getting better. I hope you all are home with your whole family soon.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#49 of 80 Old 08-04-2011, 06:09 PM

AMAZING photos. I'm glad he's doing so well!

Lisa, Mama to two 2-26-09 and 6-15-11

"Hey baby, do you like trains?"

#50 of 80 Old 08-05-2011, 09:17 PM

Your story and photos are amazing. What a lucky boy to have such a good mama. Hope you all are home soon!

I'm Cait  - married to my best friend Mike and Mama to Theo (7/30/11)  baby.gif

#51 of 80 Old 08-05-2011, 09:27 PM

Congratulations, mama. Your son is beautiful, and the outdoor birth so wonderful. I wish the little guy the best of health.

Wife to DH, mama to bikenew.gif DD (7) ribboncesarean.gif, babyf.gif DS born 3/12 ribboncesarean.gif, and have had five early losses. angel1.gif
I have Stiff Person Syndrome and my other car is a candy apple red Rascal. Feel free to ask me about it. wheelchair.gif
#52 of 80 Old 08-06-2011, 05:29 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)

I love all your beautiful pics!

bellyhair.giftreehugger.gif     coolshine.gif      greenthumb.gif     read.gif
#53 of 80 Old 08-06-2011, 09:47 PM

Congratulations on your new baby boy. He is adorable! I have a 4 year old daughter who has DS & is a wonderful little girl who is constantly amazing us. Don't let anyone put any limitations on your little guy & I'm sure he will amaze you too!

Laura - proud mom to K -my little wonder with 47 chromosomes - and her 3 amazing big sisters!

My blog - http://downsyndromeupupupandaway.blogspot.com
#54 of 80 Old 08-07-2011, 06:42 PM

I've been on vacation with no internet and anxious to find your story. What a beautiful birth you gave your special little boy! I don't know if you've heard of Kelle Hampton but she had the same little surprise you did and has blogged most every day since. Here's her page http://www.kellehampton.com/2010/01/nella-cordelia-birth-story.html  where she tells the birth story of Nella. I read her blog everyday...She's so full of life and makes the best of the journey she's on. Take care...you're in my thoughts and prayers!

P.S. I just got back from a wonderful trip to the Pacific Northwest...Sure beats the 110 degrees of Arizona. We actually sat by the fire roasting hot dogs (and I was still cold!)

rainbow_mandala likes this.
#55 of 80 Old 08-07-2011, 09:11 PM

Hopped over from the SN forum to see your birth pics and read your story. Hugs to you, Mama, on a very beautiful boy there. He's a trooper - a strong little survivor. Congratulations to you all.

Weary SuperMama superhero.gifto my  amazing neurodiverse 6 y.o. DD hearts.gif and to my on-the-go neurotypical 3 y.o. DS wild.gif

#56 of 80 Old 08-08-2011, 05:47 PM

Such a beautiful birth story! I'm so so so happy that you got the peaceful homebirth you were after (even if it did get chaotic shortly after).

Your Dean is simply gorgeous! May he continue to suprise you in every way :)

winner.jpgFormer WIC Peer Breastfeeding Counselor (2005-2011) now SAHM to bouncy.gif DD (8/2003), thumbsuck.gif DD (8/2008homebirth.jpg ), mate to jammin.gif since 07/2000. Expecting Baby Roo Mid July 2011!  stork-suprise.gifcd.gif

#57 of 80 Old 08-09-2011, 11:32 AM

I can't help but think that God knew you would need that special outdoor water birth :0)

#58 of 80 Old 08-09-2011, 08:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by douladianne View Post

I can't help but think that God knew you would need that special outdoor water birth :0)

ya know, as much as the whole thing totally rocked me, I think the same thing. I have always had a fairly deep belief in the sayings of Marcus Aurelius but especially "Everything that happens happens as it should, and if you observe carefully, you will find this to be so".
Had we known his diagnosis before birth, we wouldn't have had our special birth story, I"m sure we would have been subjected to all kinds of other testing and monitoring, and for sure would not have had the couple beautiful hours we did before going to the hospital. had we known ahead things would have been very different and Im actually grateful not to have known. We did the testing just because we thought that if there was a diagnosis, we would want time to prepare ahead of time. But looking back, I dont think there is any way to prepare ahead even if you did know. I would have loved to have skipped the 12 days in the NICU... but I'm glad for medicine when you need it and that it was able to save him basically. We are home and doing very well. He's nursing and sleeping and pooping like a good little newborn. Big brother is doing well with him, he likes to share a little too much and doesn't understand why baby doesn't want to hold his trucks, but it's so cute and I'm relieved that big brother isn't having a total melt down. Life is good and heading down the road that will take us where we need to go.
Rainbow.gif

#59 of 80 Old 08-10-2011, 08:45 AM

Glad you all are home and D is doing well.

I'm curious. If you don't mind me asking, where do you live that you were able to labor and birth outside? If I did that in my backyard, all my neighbors would have been able to see.

#60 of 80 Old 08-11-2011, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineWife View Post

Glad you all are home and D is doing well.

I'm curious. If you don't mind me asking, where do you live that you were able to labor and birth outside? If I did that in my backyard, all my neighbors would have been able to see.

smile.gif
We live on about 5 acres in Poulsbo, WA. We do have a neighbor about 1/4 mile away but you cant see them from the house. Looking back on my video I wasn't even too noisy wink1.gif The summer here has been really odd and has been very cool and even rainy. The 23rd was one of the only sunny days there had been all week. It was maybe 72 ish so it was perfectly not too hot and not too cold. We had a pop up shade tent thing over the tub and the big umbrella like at the pool there also. It was just so great to be outside in the warmth. For some reason, even when i started contemplating home birth, I could only picture delivering outside so I'm really glad that it was able to happen.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page