The Birth of Finnley Dax - My Due Date Baby - Mothering Forums

#1 of 10 Old 08-19-2011, 05:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

This is the story of Finn's birth, my 2nd home birth and first water birth.

It had been a long pregnancy.  My due date was approaching and I was very very ready to give birth to my son.  I had had weeks of prodromal labor and my mind and body were just READY.  I was ready to meet my baby.  

I woke up on August 16, 2011, my Due Date, around 7 am with some contractions but I just wasn't sure if it was the real thing or not.  I had to use the bathroom, though, and completely cleaned out my body.  I went to lay down on the couch, thinking things would pick up but they didn't.  I didn't have any ctx for 30 min, so I lay down on the couch defeated once again, and fell back asleep.  My DH woke me up around 9, and when I rolled over I thought I felt a little tiny gush of fluid down below, but then thought it was probably just mucus.  I passed it off and got up to start my day.  I went to the bathroom one more time, and cleaned out my body again, but at that point I wasn't convinced of anything.

At one more point in the morning, I stood up from sitting and again, felt a little gush, so I put on a panty liner.  Ctx were happening but were really nothing out of the ordinary for me.  So DH went to work (luckily he just works from home) and I rested and tried to enjoy being 40 weeks pregnant.  Since I wasn't sure if my water was broken or not, I decided to lay down on my left side.  After about 10 min, I shifted my position and GUSH!  Holy moly -- water had definitely broken!!  I waddled into the bathroom and sat on the toilet and felt the waters gush out.  I looked down and sure enough, clear and full of vernix.  It was HAPPENING!  It was about 2:30 in the afternoon at this point.

I texted my mw and let her know what was going on.  We had a scheduled appt at 330, so she said she'd start making her way to me.  Once she arrived we chatted a bit, she took my vitals, we talked about what to expect. She said she would stay local, within 10 min, and to call her when things got going.  I still wasn't feeling ctx that made me pause.  I was able easily walk and talk through them.

Nora, my 2.5 year old,  went to Grandmas and Chris, my husband,  and I just hung out waiting. We got bored and started watching Star Trek: TNG (we're in the middle of a marathon. yeah, we are so cool.) Ctx started picking up after 2-3 episodes. Soon they were < 5 min apart and I was having to vocalize thru them. It was around 8 pm. 

Decided to call Jessica (my mw) back since I felt like I wanted to get in the water. She said start filling the pool and she would come and assess where I was at first once it was full. When she got there I was at 5 cm dilated, so she suggested we go for a walk to get things really going. It was around 9 pm Chris, Jessica , and I walked my normal stroller walk route (which, I have to say, was surreal at 9 at night, with the almost full moon and stars twinkling, it was a gorgeous night) and I literally WALKED through ctx. It was intense and crazy. In b/w ctx we joked and laughed and just -- it was so amazing. Like 3 friends out for a late night walk. A ctx would hit and Chris would take my hands and walk backwards, Jessica woudl apply counterpressure (helped SO SO MUCH) and I would walk thru it - what a challenge, each and every one!! Uphill was so tough, but I did it.  There were a few that I just could not walk through, so I would just hang on DH and let Jessica apply pressure.  She would remind me to keep everything loose and open, keep the space between my eyes relaxed, visualize everything opening up and baby moving down.  Funny to be doing this in the middle of the road in our quiet neighborhood!  In front of neighbors houses even!  

Things got real intense real fast once we got home, probably around 10. My doula had arrived and was waiting for us when we got back. Had a few horrific ctx on the toilet and refused to labor in the bathroom any more!! I got in the pool probably around 10:30 (not sure exactly when) and hit transition like wildfire. It was as intense as it gets!! I was on hands and knees leaning over the side of the pool.  I must have only had a handful of ctx before I was pushing with them, Chris holding my hands and my doula applying loads of counter pressure on my back.  With the first pushy contraction,  I was a little bit in disbelief that it could be happening so quickly.  I kept saying, "I'm pushing, but I don't know if it's right!" and everyone kept telling me, "Trust your body, push if that's what it's telling you to do."  I roared with the next few contractions and involuntarily bore down.   The pressure and burning were INTENSE!  One more push and I felt his head pop out.  "Reach down and touch his head!" my midwife said, and I did.  I could not believe it!  I knew he would be born in the next push -- and sure enough, out flew his body with the next one!!  I felt him float up and away behind me, and then I immediately turned over and Jessica handed me ....my baby!  There he was!  He was beautiful!!  I just held him and I said, "He's here!  He's here!" excitedly, and Chris was right beside me beaming.  We kissed, we oohed and ahhed, counted fingers and toes, made sure he was indeed a boy.  They kept him covered with towels, and basically said, "Fall in love with him, don't mind us!  Take your time!!"  I know they were making sure I wasn't bleeding too much, but I was just focused on my new baby.  I couldn't look at anything but him. 

It was wonderful! 

A few moments later, they helped me out of the tub and into the bedroom.  They dried me off, and got me up in the bed.  Finn was in my arms the whole time, covered in towels and blankets.  Finn nursed for the first time, and latched on like a champ!  He nursed for awhile, and when he was done, I gave a little push and delivered the placenta.  It came out in one piece and looked ... like a placenta should look, I suppose!  My bleeding was so minimal they hung around for a bit waiting and waiting for more, and it just never happened.  Jessica was pleased with that!  I felt great and wasn't losing much blood.  It was fantastic!

Jessica checked me out and told me I didn't really tear at all.  There was one spot that would heal on its own if I could stay in bed for the week with my legs together. She said it was up to me if I wanted sutures b/c the tearing was just so minimal. I chose to get them b/c there's just no way I could have guaranteed complete bedrest with my legs together for a week. No way.  But that only took a few minutes, and then I got into my lovely mesh panties with a nice cooling ice pack liner, my new pajamas, and climbed into bed with my new baby.

Overall it was just amazing. I'm still in a total whirlwind! The most awesome birth experience ever.

Finnley Dax 9 lbs, 22.25 inches, 11:16 pm, 8.16.11 ♥

DSC02320-1.jpg

Carrie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
mama to Nora(8)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and Finn (5)
    and Baby Tiebreaker due 1/18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 08-19-2011, 11:11 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Beautiful birth and baby!! Good job, Mama! Thanks for sharing. :)

Single Mama to five 6 and under!
#3 of 10 Old 08-19-2011, 09:32 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Good for you! Glad it went quickly!

SAHM to Abraham (9) Gillian (5) Adrienne (3) and baby boy coming in October! 

Always missing our Gianna, lost during fullterm labor (8/23/04)
Sticking together through the good and the bad with dh of 10 yrs!

#4 of 10 Old 08-23-2011, 05:26 PM

Awesome, awesome storysmile.gif

Wife to DH, Mommy to Amber 10/01/08 and Kyle 01/09/11
#5 of 10 Old 08-24-2011, 11:23 AM

beautiful story. beautiful birth. i didn't realize he was so long. love.gif

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#6 of 10 Old 08-24-2011, 11:24 AM

Dax! happytears.gif    That is so awesome.

And many congratulations on your lovely baby.

#7 of 10 Old 08-24-2011, 03:50 PM

I love your birth story!  Congrats! 

Is Dax a nod to Deep Space 9? (you mentioned marathoning TNG...we could so be friends haha)

caffix.gif

#8 of 10 Old 08-24-2011, 07:01 PM

This post has been removed due to privacy reasons.

#9 of 10 Old 08-25-2011, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Thank you everyone for reading and for your love! love.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magali View Post

I love your birth story!  Congrats! 

Is Dax a nod to Deep Space 9? (you mentioned marathoning TNG...we could so be friends haha)

You know it's funny, it isn't, we just loved the name.  But for awhile we couldn't think of a first name and I just said screw it, lets name him Riker -- DH is a fan of DS9 and said, "No, no - might as well just name him Curzon!"  I had to look it up b/c I've never seen DS9 (it's next on our marathon list, lol) and now it's just all part of of an awesome naming story.

According to my baby name book, Dax means water.  Since I was planning a water birth and loved the name so much, it fit perfectly.  And it's a pretty cool name so if he hates Finn, he can always go by Dax.

Carrie
mama to Nora(8)
and Finn (5)
    and Baby Tiebreaker due 1/18
#10 of 10 Old 08-26-2011, 04:56 AM

Nice.  We love the name Dax and it was on our boy name list.  Not for the show, just cause it is a great name!

caffix.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page