The incredibly fast birth of Benjamin Paul, New Year's Baby - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 01-04-2012, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

The birth of Benjamin Paul To my son, my precious little one, you are loved beyond measure. We planned a second homebirth for our third child. Despite the…. complications, for lack of a better word, with Bella’s birth at home (she was an unknown breech), I knew that I could not deliver a baby in the hospital unless medically necessary. After meeting with a few midwives, and praying about the matter, we decided that we liked Amy best.

I had another pretty uneventful pregnancy, save morning sickness for 16 weeks and daddy traveling a lot toward the end of the pregnancy. From Christmas Eve onward, I had been having prodromal labor that would slightly increase in intensity and then peeter of when I went to bed. I went to bed every night since then wondering if I’ll wake up in labor the next day. After a week of the frustrating unknown, we met Amy for my 39 week checkup (new year’s eve). We discussed slightly moving things along and I agreed. I felt if my body was ready, then it wouldn’t hurt to try. She also gave me some Clary Sage and I rubbed it on my points all evening long.

I woke up at 5 the next morning (New Year’s) with a somewhat intense contraction. I woke Pearry up and said I just had a hard contraction. He literally jumped out of bed and I called him back, “don’t text Amy yet, let me time them for a few minutes and we can tell her then” I timed them for 30 minutes and had 4 mildly intense ones within that time. Unbeknownst to me, he did text her and told her that we thought I might be in labor. I texted her at about 5:45 and told her that I was having somewhat intense contractions about 7 minutes apart, and lasting 1:30 minutes. I had also lost my mucous plug at that time. Pearry was getting the pool filled (we had it blown up for about 2 weeks prior) and boiling hot water to keep the pool water warm.

At 6 they picked up in intensity and were now around 2-3 minutes apart. Pearry was in communication with Amy and she was on her way to our house. I was rocking on the birthing ball and moving around a bit to get comfortable. I went to use the bathroom and had bloody show. Amy showed up around 6:15 according to Pearry (I really have very little recollection of times at this point) as well as Cassandra, her apprentice and they started setting up. Cassandra had to leave so Amy got ahold of D, her MW teacher who had wanted to attend a birth with her but hadn’t had the chance to prior.

Around 6:30, I started feeling a little out of control, and went back to the bathroom. I told them I really wanted to get in the pool. I climbed in and the water was a little cool. Pearry started refilling it with hot water. I started feeling really intense contractions rolling through me, over and over, with very little breaks in between. I remember moaning, yelling and saying, I can’t do this! Amy and Pearry were both so reassuring. I recall her saying “You are doing this!”

Close to seven, I started feeling pushy. The contractions were still not letting up, but I managed to say, I’m feeling like pushing. Amy checked to see if the head had descended which it hadn’t yet. A few minutes later, my back started to ache. I asked Pearry to rub it please and eventually asked him to get in the pool to rub my back. Initially he didn’t want to because later he said that with Bella’s birth I didn’t want him touching me. He was so happy to come in.

I was kneeling close to the edge, my hands holding the handles of the pool for support and moaning and asking God to help me through it. I started feeling pushy again and it was so intense. I told them again and Amy said the head had descended (that’s why my back had started to ache before that) and to push with the contractions. Well they were on top of each other so there was no stopping it (very similar to Bella’s birth). Amy was supporting my perineum and I was pushing. There were moments of fear and feeling like I was going to split in half, but Pearry and Amy were so reassuring. Pearry kept saying how wonderful a mother I was and how great I was doing.

The whole time, my water hadn’t broken and minutes before he was born it seems, my water broke twice. While pushing, Amy told me that I needed to move from squatting and lean on Pearry to deliver the baby. At first I did not want to move, but eventually turned over and I could feel him coming out. Pearry was supporting my legs up and I just kept pushing. Then he was out. Amy had told me prior to not grab the baby out of the water immediately, to let his body acclimate to avoid shock. He was born at 7:20 am.

It was so incredible. I saw him open his eyes and his fingers move under the water and then I caught him and gently picked him out of the water. I was crying and thanking God. I kept saying how beautiful he was. Then I reached under him to feel for parts and lo and behold, it’s a boy!! It was such a beautiful moment, Pearry and I were/are both so happy and thrilled. Pearry and Bella came in to meet their baby brother, they were so excited! We sat in the pool for a few minutes and then Amy asked if we wanted to get out and I climbed in the bed. I delivered the placenta after a few minutes and then I snuggled him and nursed for about 2 hours before we cut the cord and did the NB exam.

It was such an amazing, beautiful experience. Everything right happened, in comparison to our other HB experience, which was also a tremendous blessing. But we are so grateful for another child to hold and love.

A few side notes:

I hadn’t had a “check” the entire time, except to see if baby’s head had descended

I had no tears, except a minor “skid” mark which needed no stitches.

Amy said, part of the amniotic sac was still covering him when he was born, but I hadn’t noticed, but thought was really neat.

IMG_0215.jpg

IMG_0219.jpg

IMG_0257.jpg

Sarah. Wife to Pearry, mama to Pearry II and Isabella Rose, born Breech at home and Benjamin, our January 1st bebe intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpg

#2 of 3 Old 01-13-2012, 11:24 AM

What a sweet baby.  Look at all the hair!  Thanks for sharing, mama, that was a wonderful story.  Congrats on your new baby boy - I can't wait to find out the sex of mine in the same way! :)

#3 of 3 Old 01-22-2012, 12:16 PM

This post has been removed due to privacy reasons.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page