Quick birth (An hour and 55 minutes....) of Ronan Edward - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 02-26-2012, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter
Rin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Ronan Edward barreled into this world at 11:55 pm on Saturday February 11, 2012. The birth happened at Birthwise Birthing Center and was attended by two of the three midwives on staff, Natalie Lake and Jayme Moore. He was 6 pounds 10 ounces and 19 1/2 inches long.

After my due date came and went with Emery(DS1), I was so ready to begin taking things into my own hands with this pregnancy and did not want to go over my due date by three weeks(like I did wiht DS1).

I began taking Evening Primrose Oil at 36 weeks in order to ripen and soften my cervix. By the time I hit 40 weeks I was getting impatient. My blood pressure had a spike and I was sent for acupuncture to bring it down and start the “induction” process. My blood pressure came down but nothing else happened. That night I had a mini mental breakdown and threatened to check myself into the hospital to have them induce me. (Really bad night fueled by lack of sleep and hormones-I NEVER would have actually done this!) I made an appointment with another acupuncturist two days later and we tried again. Baby was super active but nothing much happened. The next day I had an appointment with April Bullock, the Midwife who had handled most of my prenatal. She checked my vitals and did a cervical sweep while physically applying EPO to the cervix. I was really hoping this would do it, but again nothing much happened. I had my final acupuncture treatment on the 9th. It was a very intense session and a lot of energy was shifted. I felt amazing afterwards and was at peace with Baby coming when he/she was ready. The next day I woke up with a very itchy rash all over my body. I called the Birthing center to ask if there was anything to be concerned about, and what I could do to alleviate the itching. Jayme asked me to come in the following day to look at it and listen to the baby etc. Everything was fine so she sent me on my way with some homeopathic medicines. That night the itching intensified so I called Jayme again and she wanted me to come in the next morning to just check in. The next morning was 2/11/12, 41 weeks. The baby was listened to, my vitals were taken and we discussed what would happen if we needed to induce naturally, how we would go about that. As we were leaving, Natalie said, “Enjoy your last hours of being pregnant.” (She later said that she just had a feeling that it was close.)

When we left I took Owen to work, and went home with Emery. We both took a very long nap. I woke up and felt absolutely fine. Owen came home; we had dinner, put Emery to bed and were just hanging out watching TV. I felt achy in my back so I squatted on the floor. We talked about the baby and what it would be like when it finally decided to come. I mentioned that I thought 2/11/12 would be a cool birthday but that I dint’ think it would happen because we only had about three hours left.

About 10pm, I felt a mild contraction and noted the time, I sat on my birthing ball because my back was hurting, about 15 minutes later I felt another and made another mental note of the time, and then again 15 minutes later. They weren’t intense at all so I told Owen I think I just had three contractions about 15 minutes apart, I’m sure they’ll stop in a minute. Then I felt a “pop” and jumped, Owen looked at me shocked and I said, “What? Did you hear that?” Because I really thought it was an audible pop. He told me No, and smiled at me.

I went to the restroom to check and see if my waters had indeed broken, and noticed a bit of “bloody show” on the tissue, it was barely noticeable, just a bit pink. No fluids, not even a tiny bit of a drip. My stomach felt upset so I used the restroom and the whole time was talking to Owen about whether or not this was real labor. About 5 minutes later, I started feeling the contractions, and they were getting stronger. We called Judy (Owen’s mom) and had to convince her that we weren’t joking and she really needed to leave and head our way (they live three hours away). I called the Midwife on duty (Natalie) and asked her if she thought we needed to head to the birthing center as the contractions were only 10 minutes apart, and I could talk through them. She told me to wait an hour, and if they intensified to call her back.

Owen started loading the car and I was trying to pack a few last minute things while dealing with the quickly intensifying contractions. It got to the point where I could only handle them if I was on all fours leaned over the bed or the couch vocalizing or moaning. I timed them and they were three minutes apart. Owen called Natalie and told her we were headed to the birthing center. (She later told us that she heard me on the phone in the background and knew that the baby was on the way.)

Owen woke Emery and took him to the car. I followed them out and had a contraction as I was getting in the car. It was so powerful I wondered if we would make it to the Birthing Center on time. I couldn’t buckle my seatbelt and I had one very long contraction on the freeway. The intensity of it frightened me a bit and I heard Owen say, “You’re doing great honey, we’re almost there”, then I heard Emery say, “I want my grandma.’ He was tired and overwhelmed by all that was happening.

In the 15 minute drive it took us to get to the Center, I had about 5 contractions.

When we arrived at the birthing center around 11:00PM, I had a very powerful contraction and had to lean over the seat with my rear out of the car. Owen asked me if I could walk. I doubted it and was afraid Id have one on the way up the walk to the center.

I made it through the front door and began having another contraction. This one felt different. I could feel the baby moving down and felt the urge to go to the bathroom. The midwife helped me onto the toilet, and I had a contraction and felt the urge to bear down. Natalie asked me if I wanted to have the baby there, or where I wanted to have the baby. At this point I knew that my plan to have a water birth was pretty much out of the question due to the fact that the baby was coming way faster than I had anticipated. I told her that I wanted to have the baby in the water, but I didn’t know if I would make it. She told me to come into the birthing room and they would get the water running. As soon as I climbed into the bed on all fours I could feel the baby moving further down and my body started to push. Natalie asked if I wanted to feel the baby’s head, being in denial that it was happening that quickly, I remember saying, "No, it’s not time yet.”

Each contraction was coming closer and closer together and I began vocalizing in high octaves, and consciously I thought to myself, lower, make them lower. As I lowered my pitch; I heard Natalie or Jayme tell me that I was doing great. Things were happening quickly, but I was doing great.

Owen was busy unpacking the car and getting Emery situated. At one point he came in and lightly touched my back and I told him, “The baby is coming, I can feel the baby coming, it’s happening so fast!” The next thing I know I feel the baby’s head crowning and I just remember saying “It burns!” I felt a warm compress on my perineum and it felt so nice. Natalie said, “Okay, on the next push you’ll have your baby!” I pushed and Natalie caught him. They helped me turn over and I looked up to see Owen holding Emery. I looked down and saw that Ronan was a boy.

It was only 11:55.

Although he wasn’t born in the water, and I didn’t get to “catch” him, I wouldn’t change a thing about this birth. Emery got to see his baby brother being born, which wasn’t planned, and it was gentle as possible considering how quickly it all happened.

We are so in love with Ronan, and our little family feels complete, for now.

Birth Doula and Owner of an online natural baby boutique. Aspiring to be a Midwife.

Wife to Chef DH, Mom to DS (4/15/08), and DS (2/11/12) joy.gif

cd.gifintactlact.giffuzmalesling.giffamilybed1.gif

#2 of 5 Old 02-27-2012, 10:00 PM

beautiful CONGRATULATIONS!

living with alopecia universalis (google it), learning alongside my children DD 2003blahblah.gif DS 2007fencing.gifDD 2011jog.gif

#3 of 5 Old 02-28-2012, 04:43 PM

that is a beautiful, perfect birth story :)  Congrats!

#4 of 5 Old 02-28-2012, 10:35 PM - Thread Starter
Rin

Thank you!

Birth Doula and Owner of an online natural baby boutique. Aspiring to be a Midwife.

Wife to Chef DH, Mom to DS (4/15/08), and DS (2/11/12) joy.gif

cd.gifintactlact.giffuzmalesling.giffamilybed1.gif

#5 of 5 Old 03-05-2012, 10:08 AM

Sounds like a wonderful birth!  So happy for you!  And I love your name choice! love.gif

Catherine and B stillheart.gif DS1 (6) biggrinbounce.gif DD (4) loveeyes.gif DS2 (1) drool.gif and expecting #4 shamrocksmile.gif on March 17, 2014.  

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page