Does the baby's activity level change when you go into labor? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 04-06-2012, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi...I have a very active baby and for the past week or so (I'm in my 39th week), the baby hasn't been quite as active. Nothing to worry about, but just not quite as active as usual.

I'm just curious...once early labor begins, does the baby become more active? less? about the same? i had some strong "practice cramps" in the middle of the night last night and baby was going CRAZY so I guess I'm just wondering if there's any type of sign from the baby that labor has begun. Obviously, I'm a first-timer and we're doing a home birth.

Thank you!

DW married to DH expecting first baby in April 2012!

#2 of 6 Old 04-07-2012, 10:54 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Honestly, the contractions were always so all encompassing I never noticed the baby's movements during either of my labours. Maybe others have a different experience.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#3 of 6 Old 04-07-2012, 11:26 AM

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

I remember ds moving around in early/early active labor.  I don't remember how frequent it was, I was off in my own little world for most of my labor, time had no meaning!

Mommy to DS1 July '09 and DS2 Oct '12
#4 of 6 Old 04-07-2012, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeguard View Post

Honestly, the contractions were always so all encompassing I never noticed the baby's movements during either of my labours. Maybe others have a different experience.

Same here. DS activity level slowed way down the last week. When he was born he had clearly lost some weight and my placenta wasn't in great shape but ultimately he was fine (and we were monitoring his movement that last week). But babies can also slow down simply because of a lack space too.

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

#5 of 6 Old 04-09-2012, 05:32 AM

Towards the end I couldn't feel much movement at all, only the big kicks. At my 41 week appointment I got an NST. They hooked me up to the monitors, and where there are normally little dashes to indicate movement was a SOLID BLACK LINE because she was moving so much. I could even look at my stomach and SEE the movement, but somehow didn't feel much?

Same thing with labor- very active baby that I didn't feel move. Unless I was 100% focusing on the movement, I didn't notice it.

Jen - 29, part-time LDRP RN and Birth Consultant. DH - 33. Married since 2006. brokenheart.gif 3/09. DD 2010.  Expecting a surprise new one in May 2014!

#6 of 6 Old 04-09-2012, 05:12 PM

Interesting, I've been wondering the same thing.  I'm 40+3 today and baby has definitely slowed in the last week or so.  The movement has become more rolling her back and throwing elbows around than kicking--I think it has to do with the amount of room available.  No worries!  Makes sense that they would start to get crowded.

ETA: good thread, but it probably doesn't belong in Birth Stories.  Maybe a mod move to Birth & Beyond is in order?  

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page