Unexpected Delivery... Successful VBAC! :) - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 06-11-2012, 01:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Update! Lengthy story but I HAVE to tell you about it! nut.gif lol

My adorable princess has arrived 12 days early! And of course... she did NOT wait to meet my new midwife. I was in total shock when I went into labor at 1am on June 7th (the day I was supposed to consult with a midwife) I had some bloody show and some pretty ouchy contractions for about 3 hours the morning before but nothing I thought was serious... the contractions tapered off but more show continued to come. I started work at 1pm Wednesday June 6th, all the while having contractions about every 25-45 minutes. I thought they were pretty irregular but told my husband he may want to start packing his bag (he was sooooo excited!) I work from home so I was comfortable and coped with the contractions without worrying about having to run out of some place if labor did come... Thinking back now, I knew I was in early labor but being so determined to meet my new dr the next day, I think I was in denial! lol My shift was over at 11:30pm, I grabbed a quick bite to eat, took a shower, and was in bed by 12:30. By 1am I was back up with contractions, deciding whether or not to send hubby to work... baby REALLY just might be on her way! Called the hospital, talked to a fabulous triage nurse who told me to take a bath to see if that relaxed my contractions away (it worked, but only while I was in the tub.) By the time I got out of the bath I was almost howling so I started packing bags "just in case", then it was time for hubby to go... sent him on his way STILL not wanting to believe that we were going in today! Almost as soon as he left I had a strong contraction and an urge to throw up, so called him back home... He came through the door just as I finished vomiting... Gross! But I knew IT WAS REALLY TIME! Dropped off my son to his aunt and made our way to the hospital. Got there and was 90% effaced, only at 2 1/2 cm not quite ready to be admitted but the nurses wanted to keep me bc baby's heartbeat was not looking very good. Finally I was admitted to Labor and Delivery where I had to be monitored constantly bc of her heartbeat. I was not happy about that but I needed to do what was best for the baby. They showed me the monitor and explained how her heart rate was flaaaaaaat. I was so worried! But the nurse I had was so sweet and reassuring, suggesting that maybe things would pick up, which eventually they did, (nice job, Baby Girl!) I pushed through some awful contractions still holding out on getting any pain meds bc I didn't want to do anything that would affect her heart rate any further. Even without drinking anything I kept having to pee! lol I was put on an IV and given penicillin due to group B strep... fine by me! Just sad that I could not walk around... but I rocked and breathed my way through contractions. Dr and nurse requested that I let them break my waters to move things along and to have internal monitors put in bc baby's heart rate AGAIN was not looking great :( so I talked it over with hubby, weighed our pros and cons, decided to have internal monitoring and had my waters broken... at that moment I felt SO MUCH BETTER! What a relief! The nurse and my dr kept commenting on the amount of fluid that was in there... It was like a dozen waterfalls. lol The contractions came then like a ton of bricks!!! My mother came in at some point and distracted me a little by rubbing my feet while I kept yelling for hubby to put counter-pressure on my back. With their help, I got along with no pain meds until I got to 6 or 7cm... Then I knew it was time to get an epidural before I LOST IT! I was afraid to get one since I believe that is what stopped the progression of my last labor but finally after discussing the risks and benefits with hubby and my nurse i agreed to one. I was so relaxed afterward, told the anesthesiologist he was awesome and felt like a normal person again... I could even still move my legs, which was awesome since the nurse kept turning me from side to side. I was able to help her turn me without much effort. She was so excited everytime I told her I was starting to feel pressure! She was such a sweetheart, with all her encouraging words... I could feel my girl moving down down down and felt more confident with each contraction that even though it may take a while but I was going to get my VBAC! I kept being turned and finally helped into the "exaggerated sims position" where I fell asleep for a while... I was so relaxed it was unbelievable! I expected it to be a while but around 2:45 my dr checked my cervix again, smiled... and asked me if I wanted to push! WHAT?!? I remember replying, "Sure!" lol we were all so excited that it hadn't taken very long to get to 10cms! I asked for a mirror so that I could see everything and the image of me pushing helped me so much to continue... I WANTED TO MEET THIS BABY! I pushed for about 4 contractions and there was Jordyn's head! My dr asked me if I wanted to help deliver her... Again... WHAT?!? lol I was pleasantly surprised by the question and OF COURSE I wanted to help! (My mother got the most awesome picture of me pulling her out, her body still half-way inside... my favorite picture of the day!) So after delivering her head, my dr rotated baby a bit and helped me place my hands under her arms and pull her up to me... She was the most gorgeous purple/pink/grey, slimy, squishy thing I had ever held! No one had to wonder about the condition of her lungs... she screamed like a banshee! :) All in all, labor was about 15 1/2 hours versus my 42-hour labor-turned-EMCS with my 1st born. Hubby cut the cord and I delivered the placenta with ease. I barely even felt it. No tears! Just a "deep scratch" as my dr describes it... so I do have 2 stitches. No big deal... :) I welcomed my baby for a few moments while being stitched up then handed her to a nurse to be weighed and measured. She was brought back to me IMMEDIATELY, which I loved because after my c-section I did not see my baby boy for an entire 2 FREAKING HOURS. Her apgar scores were 8 and 9 and she weighed 6pounds 4ounces... I'm the happiest mommy in the universe! :)

I was told that my c-section was due to my hips being small, failure to progress and a bunch of other non-sense which left me feeling broken and feeling like my body was inadequate... well... I DID IT. I did it, I did it, I DID IT!!! I am so proud of myself! And proud of the way my dr handled herself because I was sure she was going to be such a different person than she actually was! I cannot explain the way I feel... It is the best. Recovery is (of course) painful but so much better than recovering from my surgery. I 'm so grateful for the staff I met while in the hospital. They were so supportive and reassuring... I was made as comfortable as possible the entire time. I am now at home recovering with my 2 children and awesome husband who has pretty much put me on bedrest because I had WAAAY too much energy and cleaned like crazy the next day when we were released... I know, I know I am crazy... BUT I FEEL LIKE SUPERWOMAN! lol Breast feeding got off to a slow start but we are doing way better now.

Thanks for reading. I could not be happier with the outcome of my birth... joy.gif

GOOD LUCK TO YOU ALL... I hope your experiences are pleasant ones, no matter when or how they happen!

#2 of 3 Old 06-12-2012, 06:16 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Awww. Congrats Mama! It sounds like it all went very well!  Enjoy your babymoon! 

#3 of 3 Old 06-12-2012, 06:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

AWWW!!! YAY! Way to go Momma! Loved your story! :)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page