Took Castor Oil... and THEN READ ABOUT IT... FREAKING OUT!!!!!!! HELP!!!!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 07-02-2012, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Okay, so i am about 37 weeks pregnant.. i have had the WORST pregnancy EVER! i have been in the hospital a total of 16 times. at 15 weeks pregnant, my appendix ruptured and they had to do immidiate surgery.. i was told that my son would not make it because of the trama, he made it!  I kept having complications from the surgery and was admitted back into the hospital many times.. i kept getting dehydrated and at at 32-33 weeks had to have a at home nurse from Alere come and put in an IV and a Zofran pump into my belly.. well after two days of the pump, i had an allergic reaction.. JOY... anyways, i am at my witts end with the throwing up, and constant going into the hospital... i took Castor oil with some juice tonight, no affects yet... but i was reading online about it, and i seen someone say that it can cause still birth????? i am freaking out!!!!! please help me....

#2 of 3 Old 07-03-2012, 12:35 AM

Whoah mama. Please take a few deep breaths and try to calm down. It's going to be OK. :)

A lot of the medical info on the internet is all about worst case scenarios. Many midwives will offer castor oil as a means to nudge labor into starting, usually when the mom is closer to 40 weeks or beyond. The main ill effect I've heard about is that it gives the mom cramping and diarrhea and she is uncomfortable for a while. It's not likely to put you into labor if your body and the baby aren't ready.

You have been through a lot with this pregnancy. I would say call your care provider in the morning, tell her about the castor oil, but more importantly tell her how you're feeling. There may be other comfort measures you can use to help get you through these last few weeks. Do you have good support lined up for the birth?

Hang in there mama. hug2.gif

SAHM to 6.5yo DS and 4yo DD. PCOS with two early m/cs. Married 8 yrs. Certified birth doula, writer, editor.

Some stuff I like: hbac.gifteapot2.GIFeat.gifnocirc.gifbftoddler.giffemalesling.GIFcrochetsmilie.gif read.gifcat.gif

#3 of 3 Old 07-03-2012, 07:54 AM

I personally discourage moms from using castor oil since it's not going to start labor if your body wasn't ready to do it anyway. It may also cause severe cramping and diarrhea that can lead to a lot of unnecessary discomfort and dehydration. Some people take it and are fine. You don't need to freak out, you will likely be fine. My suggestion to you is to drink lots of water, preferably Smart water since that will help restore electrolytes. If you do start getting cramps or diarrhea, you should contact your ob or midwife so they can monitor you for dehydration and to help you tell whether the cramps are intestinal cramps or uterine contractions.

On a side note, I was also extremely allergic to Zofran, though they gave me the tablet version. The first tablet worked like a charm for about 30 minutes and I thought I would finally get relief from being sick all the time...then 30 mins later it made my throat swell shut, talk about scary. Having HG, I know how rough it is to be sick throughout your whole pregnancy, but just remember that you are so close to the finish line and then your body will finally start the healing process with a cute little baby in tow. One last suggestion is to stay aware of your emotional state and to discuss postpartum depression with your caregiver. Women with HG and other pregnancy illnesses are at a higher risk for a diagnosis of PPD (and depression during pregnancy). Take a nice relaxing shower with music playing, a nap, a short walk, anything that doesn't require thinking. You need to let your body and mind relax. You've had a rough pregnancy and that can cause emotions to run wild and your mind to race. Anxiety is no fun. I hope you can find some peace in these last days of your pregnancy and I hope your body starts to regulate after the birth of your little one. Good luck and congratulations!hug2.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page