Self Directed Hospital birth after 3 UCs - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 09-02-2012, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

This is the story of my daughter, Zena's birth, photographed by our Doula.  All 3 of Zena's brothers were born unassisted, but this time I was called in a different direction to birthing in the hospital for the first time.  In the end it turned out very similar to my UC experiences. Only my husband and doula were present to witness the birth!

http://liajoy83.blogspot.com/2012/07/self-directed-birth-of-zena-joy.html#!/2012/07/self-directed-birth-of-zena-joy.html

Lia Joy Rundle CLD                             Self Directed Woman                                   Self Directed Childbirth
                                                           Womanhood is not a destination. It is an archaeological dig. 

#2 of 17 Old 09-02-2012, 02:04 PM

Congratulations on your little girl!  Beautiful birth story--thanks for sharing!

Allison:  a little bit Waldorf, a little bit Medievalish, and always"MOMMMMYYYY!" to sweet Cecily since 12.22.05
#3 of 17 Old 09-02-2012, 03:02 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Congrats and what wonderful experiences your births must have been. Just reading and watching.

“The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.”
―Socrates

#4 of 17 Old 09-03-2012, 06:51 AM

Congratulations! I'm amazed at how smoothly your birth went!

He who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe is as good as dead; his eyes are closed.  ~Albert Einstein
#5 of 17 Old 09-11-2012, 05:34 PM

Me (27) DH (30)...9 Years

DD (7) ~ DD (4) ~ DS (3)

Praying our April 2013 baby sticks!! joy.gif

Babies in Heaven...angel.gif 9/04 angel.gif 2/05 angel.gif 3/11 angel.gif 4/11 angel.gif 6/11 angel.gif 11/11 angel.gif 2/12 (along with my tube greensad.gif )

#6 of 17 Old 09-18-2012, 06:16 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

congratulations on your new baby!  And what a beautiful story of her entrance to the world.  :)

DD1 6/2009 DD2 5/1/2013-5/5/2013 (HIE) DS 3/2014
#7 of 17 Old 09-20-2012, 09:46 PM

Lovely story and what an amazing hospital birth!

Lovin my sweet babygirl 3-17-10love.gif and expecting another in March! love.gif

#8 of 17 Old 09-20-2012, 09:56 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Wow; lovely story and truly gorgeous photos. You're a beautiful birther. :) Congratulations!

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#9 of 17 Old 09-26-2012, 10:29 PM

"Feeling like my butt was going to turn inside out was one of the most memorable sensations from when Logan was born, too." ROTFLMAO.gif I know that sensation all too well, too!!

I'm wondering after reading your beautiful story if you wish you had given birth at home?  You say that following your instincts about being there was the right call, but nothing that needed medical attention actually happened.  I'm not trying to be snarky or rude or whatever, I'm simply curious.  

Your daughter is beautiful love.gif  She looks a lot like her daddy.  I love the picture where you're grinning near the end of labor winky.gif

#10 of 17 Old 09-27-2012, 11:34 AM

What a beautiful story! I'm really struggling with the decision to birth in a hospital, and your story has given me hope that it can be OK :)

Jo - WOHM to E 12/26/10, Wife to SAHD DH.

cd.gifslingboy.giftoddler.gifbelly.gif

#11 of 17 Old 09-27-2012, 05:43 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

thanks for sharing! beautiful, inspiring story!

#12 of 17 Old 09-30-2012, 07:05 PM

Such an amazing birth story! Thank you for sharing!

Kellylady.gif, married to the love of my life, Denpeace.gif , DD1 5/07dust.gif , 11/07, DD2 10/08modifiedartist.gif , DDS 8/10jammin.gif, expecting our next blessing this winter!

#13 of 17 Old 10-09-2012, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter

@Linnaea, I'm still processing/reflecting... despite how beautifully it went, I do have a bit of sadness that we probably could have had her at home & didn't, but I wouldn't say I wish anything different.  I don't feel that any part of Zena's experience was sacreficed, which is key. I knew one way or another I'd value the experience but my biggest fear was that her first moments would be lacking the intimacy & honor every baby deserves...Home to her is in my arms & she got that. The only thing different for her (than what her brothers had) was the car ride from the hospital, which she slept peacefully through... So in wieghing the unassisted birth I wanted against the experience I had I'm really just thinking about what the birth meant to me. I think the growth & learning outwiegh anything I missed out on by going to the hospital.  I gained a lot through the whole process -- the decision making, planning & being pushed outside my comfort zone like I was. That little bit of sadness (attachment to UC) is nothing in comparison to what I gained.  That said, if I were to have another child, I'd plan another UC unless I felt that baby needed something different.

Lia Joy Rundle CLD                             Self Directed Woman                                   Self Directed Childbirth

#14 of 17 Old 10-13-2012, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lia_joy View Post

@Linnaea, I'm still processing/reflecting... despite how beautifully it went, I do have a bit of sadness that we probably could have had her at home & didn't, but I wouldn't say I wish anything different.  I don't feel that any part of Zena's experience was sacreficed, which is key. I knew one way or another I'd value the experience but my biggest fear was that her first moments would be lacking the intimacy & honor every baby deserves...Home to her is in my arms & she got that. The only thing different for her (than what her brothers had) was the car ride from the hospital, which she slept peacefully through... So in wieghing the unassisted birth I wanted against the experience I had I'm really just thinking about what the birth meant to me. I think the growth & learning outwiegh anything I missed out on by going to the hospital.  I gained a lot through the whole process -- the decision making, planning & being pushed outside my comfort zone like I was. That little bit of sadness (attachment to UC) is nothing in comparison to what I gained.  That said, if I were to have another child, I'd plan another UC unless I felt that baby needed something different.

Wow, thank you for your beautiful, thoughtful response.  I understand why you'd look at it in terms of sacrifice, I would, too.  I'm a UCer, too, so your story got me thinking.  If I had a hospital birth or a home birth, midwife experience like yours then I doubt there would be much I'd feel negatively about.  I love stories that go against the norm and yours certainly does.  Thank you so much for sharing, enjoy your little miracle.

Also, I love your quote about womanhood, makes me feel warm and fuzzy love.gif

#15 of 17 Old 10-19-2012, 01:53 PM

I read your birth story last night and have been processing it. I wonder if you needed to give birth in the hospital was to help enlighten the care providers more than it was a need for you. Perhaps you were in the right place and had the confidence needed to show them. Maybe that's why you felt led to birth there. Sometimes it's not what we need from others, but what others need from us. 

It was a beautiful story and the pictures were beautiful. Congrats on a wonderful birth. :) 

Linnaea likes this.

Wife to a wonderful husband, mom to 5 amazing boys, 2 m/c and Knox Cornelius our 5th son born at 15weeks 12/3/2011, Lillian Faith our 1st daughter, born at 14 weeks May 19, 2012 (Turner Syndrome). 

#16 of 17 Old 10-22-2012, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter

I am writing a book on this subject, so if nothing else, the whole experience was a lot of great material for my writing!! :)

Just finished editing the video, so thought I'd share:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QB_-uRGZ74c&feature=youtube_gdata

#17 of 17 Old 10-24-2012, 08:33 PM

Thank you so much for sharing your experience and your story and the pictures and video. My last baby was a homebirth and peaceful by outside accounts, but it didn't feel empowering while it was happening. You and your story will serve as a role model for how to be empowered in a birthing situation. Sincere appreciation to you! Thank you for your sisterhood!

Mama to a bilingual (Arabic/English) and cuddly 3 year old, and planning another peaceful homebirth in June.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page