50 hours of labor - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-08-2013, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

1013155_786904461606_754943349_n.jpg

I spent the entire pregnancy dreaming about the day I'd finally get to meet my little guy.  I discussed at great length the wishes and desires I had for that monumental day.  I had a plan.  However, as the day approached it became increasingly clear that this plan was not going to work out the way I had hoped.

Our plan was to have a home birth with our fabulous midwife.  We planned on setting up a birthing pool so that we could experience a water birth if it felt right.  I looked forward to being in the comfort of our own home to labor and meet our precious little one.  That all changed when my water suddenly broke in the middle of the night 5 days before my due date.

Thursday, June 27

When my water broke at 1am,  I waited patiently for some contractions to start, and when I started to feel mild ones I woke Dan and told him that he most likely would be meeting his son that day!  It was hard to sleep as I anticipated the impending labor, however I knew that if I didn't get sleep I'd regret it.  I was eventually able to fall back asleep for a few hours and in the morning around 7am called my midwife.  She reassured me that this could take a while, but that we were so close to meeting our little guy. 

Throughout the day Thursday I tried to distract myself from the mild contractions.  I started to make a mobile for the nursery to keep my mind off of it.  In the afternoon I went to see my midwife to confirm that my water had broken and that the baby was still doing alright.  She had me take a non-stress test to monitor the baby for 30 minutes, during which the baby was super active and happy as can be.  She also confirmed that the mild contractions I was feeling were more like Braxton Hicks and prescribed some antibiotics for me to take to ensure I didn't get an infection then sent me home to wait it out.

Friday, June 28

That night the anticipation of meeting our little guy soon made it difficult to sleep.  At some point I did finally fall asleep, but at 1am I was woken by sudden intense contractions.  I woke Dan and we began timing them.  10 minutes, 8 minutes, 6 minutes.  Over the course of 3 hours they had become roughly 6 minutes apart and significantly stronger than the previous day.  This is when Dan decided it might be time to set up the birthing tub.  So he and my mother {who'd been staying with us since my water broke} set up the tub while I tried to get more rest.  Some how I was able to drift off to sleep for about 2 hours.  In the morning we called the midwife, letting her know that my contractions were still around 6 minutes.

I again tried to keep my mind off of the contractions.  I tried watching a movie {ironically, "What to Expect When You're Expecting"} while bouncing on the birthing ball - but it was too hard to focus.  Then I decided to make a batch of chocolate chip cookies, which took forever, as I was only able to do one step between each of the contractions.  By now it was afternoon and the contractions were still only 6 minutes apart.  I felt stuck.  I called the midwife again and we decided to do another non-stress test to check on the baby.

After the test confirmed that the baby was doing just fine, we talked about what would be next.  We decided that if the baby hadn't arrived {or was at least on his way} by Saturday morning, that we'd go to the hospital to be induced.  In the mean time there were a few things I could try to do at home to help augment the contractions.  Once home again, I busted out my new breast pump and gave it a try - this plus some laps around the house did wonders at increasing the frequency and intensity of the contractions, but when I stopped, so did the contractions.

By 7pm I felt defeated.  It had been 42 hours since my water had broken and I wasn't getting any closer to active labor.  Dan and I decided that instead of spending another sleepless night waiting it out, that it was probably better to head to the hospital to be induced that night.

We met our midwife at the hospital at 9pm and by 10 I was hooked up to the IV with antibiotics for the baby and began our first round of Cytotec.  Then the Dr. checked me and I was already dilated to 4cm, 90% effaced, and the baby was at a +1 station!  Amazing!  {So, for the past 45 hours my body WAS doing something, just slowly!}  This news was enough to get me to relax which brought on more contractions fairly quickly.  Once the Cytotec started working, we were in active labor!

Saturday, June 29

The rest of the night is kind of a blur, but somewhere around 1:30am I insisted that Dan get the nurse to check me again as I was ready to push.  He kept trying to hold me off, saying she'd be back soon.  Poor guy was trying so hard to guard me from defeat, concerned that she'd check and I wouldn't be there yet.  After a few more requests, our midwife went to get the nurse, and sure enough when she checked I was fully dilated and it was indeed time to push!

Caleb Roscoe was born at 3:03 am, after a total of 50 hours of labor!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't remember much of the night, but this video tells the story so much better than I ever could anyways.  I'm so thankful to have had my dear friend Mackenzie there to capture this amazing night for us!  What a blessing to be able to look back and see this incredible experience from another perspective.

www.ankneyadventure.blogspot.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2013, 12:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What a beautiful video. Congrats on your baby boy!!!!
Old 07-09-2013, 11:05 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Congratulations! Sounds like you all handled the unexpected really well! 

Writing about life-long learning and discovery at: www.neoapprentice.com 

:: A neo-apprentice knows there are no true masters. 

25yo FTM to a Wiggle Panda diaper.gif, student teacher read.gif, newlywed love.gif 

User Tag List