Birth Story of Jackson - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 09-19-2013, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Birth Story of Jackson  (2001)

On Monday I had a midwife appointment with Karin.  I told her I had been having cramping for 2 days and asked her to check the baby’s position.  She felt that the baby was 2/5 engaged and that my cervix was soft and thinned to about 1.5 cm thickness.    Bloody show started on Tuesday.  On Wednesday morning I didn’t feel any contractions so I went for a walk.  The walk didn’t bring on any contractions and I was starting to feel discouraged.  I went for another walk in the afternoon and had three contractions that were strong enough to make me pause.  When I got home I tried some nipple stimulation for about half an hour, and that brought on several strong contractions.  At that point the baby’s head engaged and I was running to the bathroom every 10 minutes to pee.  The cramping in my cervix was getting more uncomfortable, but my back hurt worse.  I spent the rest of the afternoon on the couch on my side with a back massager.  I started to make dinner at about 5:00 pm, but I had to stop and get Tyler to finish it.  I had Tyler cut up my dinner into small pieces so I could stand and eat.  The contractions were still irregular, about 5 – 7 minutes apart and only one out of every three or four were strong enough to stop me from doing things.  At about 8:00 pm we paged Karin to talk to her about our progress.  She suggested that I have a glass of wine to relax.

I went to bed at 9:00 pm after having a glass of white wine.  My back was really sore.  I was lying on my side.  I had to get up every 10 minutes to go to the bathroom.  For the rest of the night I was up and in the bathroom frequently.  I slept very little if at all.  At about 3:00 am I woke up and was hungry (unusual for me).  I went downstairs and had a snack  I went back to bed.  Sometime later I woke up feeling kind of nauseous.  At about 4:30 am I was lying on my back and I felt (heard?) a pop around my cervix.  I didn’t feel any liquid.  I got up to go to the bathroom and didn’t notice any liquid.  I was wearing a pantyliner because of the bloody show, so it is possible that I just didn’t notice.  In the bathroom I vomited.  I went back to bed for a while.  At about 5:30 am I woke up again and decided to have a bath because my back was hurting so much.  I let the water out of the bath at 6:00 am and vomited again.  Tyler took me back to bed and we discussed whether or not to call Karin.

We decided to call Karin at 6:45 am and she was at our house at 7:20.  I was lying on my side on the bed when she came.  She checked my vitals and checked my dilation.  I was 7 cm.  The next four hours were a big blur for me.  I remember the Doppler being used to check the baby’s heartbeat frequently.  I remember spending some contractions on the toilet.  Tyler would hold my hand every time a contraction would hit.  The midwives were very supportive and encouraging.  When I started to feel the urge to push I moved back to the bedroom.  I remember spending time on the toilet, birthing stool, and supported squat, but I don’t remember which order.  I remember being able to feel Jackson’s head while he was still inside me.  It was so warm and soft.  When I was close to pushing him out I moved to the bed so that Tyler could catch Jackson.  Tyler stayed beside me until the very end, then Royce (back up midwife) came on the bed beside me and Tyler caught the baby and brought him up to my chest.  This was at 11:16 am.  I remember him being covered right away.  We didn’t even check to see if he was a boy or a girl for about a minute.  I was given a shot of oxytocin and delivered the placenta within 7 minutes of Jackson being born.  Karin then stitched up some minor lacerations.  This was by far the most painful part of the whole experience.  I then went in the bath with Jackson.  He was really awake and looking around.  Once the midwives had cleaned up the bedroom they took Jackson back to the bedroom with Tyler and they measured him.  I came out of the bath and settled in the bed.  Jackson fed hungrily.  Karin stayed for lunch and left at about 3:30 pm.  Karin came back to check on us later that evening. 

Tyler and I were very pleased with how the whole birth went.  We both felt very empowered by the whole experience.  We both felt that we were in control of the birth and were kept informed as things progressed.  We couldn’t have expected a better birth experience.

#2 of 2 Old 09-22-2013, 09:14 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)

Thanks for sharing Jackson's Birth Story! :o

hh2.gif Head over to the Holiday Helper forum and be a part of this wonderful Mothering tradition! joy.gif

Wondering about Mothering in general? Check out Mothering's User Agreement! smile.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page