Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Noraah

#1 of 6 Old 03-29-2014, 09:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Saskia Marie was born on March 14 :)

Her birth was a real wonderful surprise. She is our first baby and was born into daddy's arms 20 minutes before midwives arrived.

We planned a home birth. I mentioned to my midwife and her apprentice that quite a few mama's babies on this board were born faster than their midwives could arrive. The midwife said those mamas must've had multiple babies, and anyway it's rare. If that happened than she would walk papa through delivery. She said "Basically, don't touch the cord and keep baby warm."

My body was warming up for labor for almost a week. My water broke around 1 am, and the waves came on strong right away. We called the doula and asked her to come over. She didn't.

Minor discomforts became intensely irritating. Darling did everything to make me comfortable, but one rice sock burned in the microwave and the house stank of burnt popcorn. I lost one slipper and the cold hardwood floor felt awful. The room was felt suffocatingly hot and stuffy. We cracked the window, and it became too cold. We had to figure a way to deal with it, because the doula wasn't coming until l needed her for real. This doula was our hypnobirthing teacher, and I didn't practice any of her lessons and thought "okay, well this is embarrassing. I am being a total wimp and have no one to blame but myself for skipping practice. I better get it together, cuz it'll get way more intense and last a long time, and so I better learn to deal with this early part real well before I call her again."

I put on a diaper so I could do what I needed without inhibitions. (BTW - diapers are the best advice ever from that home-birth tips thread. Thank you all who suggested it!) We brought in the birth ball, and a little bottle of my favorite nostalgic pine essential oil. I tried to remember active birth labor positions that open you up faster. So I either sat on the ball, or on all fours in bed and squealed and tensed up through the waves. Jason reminded me how to breathe, and tried to guide me to meditate/relax. His lessons got me real high on oxygen and relaxed between rushes, but during rushes I would stop breathing and just squeal and tense up in whatever ways felt most comfortable. Between rushes I would breathe, or we talked, or kissed. It was a good time.

After abour 4-4.5 hours of this, I felt I needed to use the toilet and rinse myself off to freshen up. I got on the toilet and felt a rubbery sack, which I couldn't believe was the baby. I thought it was some other part of labor that I hadn't heard about. Jason called the midwife and told her that the baby was coming. Still in disbelief, I got in the shower to rinse myself and felt the urge to push. I got out of the bath tub and Jason received the babe. His doula friend and I had both asked him to be ready to receive the babe, just in case, so he had watched a few videos. That's the only birth homework he'd done. We hired a doula, so he didn't do his birth partner homework at all, except coming to hypnobirthing class.

Babe was born painlessly even though I'm 5'3, she's 9.5 pounds. Maybe the adrenaline blocked the pain. I felt some stretching, nothing intense.

The midwife got on the phone immediately after Saskia was born. Saskia wimpered but didn't cry, so the midwife instructed us to keep her warm and put her head below her bum, to let fluid drain. Saskia did get pretty chilled because she was born in our cool bathroom, and stayed there with me for 20 minutes without a heating pad til the midwives arrived. Took her about 2 hours to warm up tp 98F.

Saskia turned 2 weeks old on Friday. She is the sweetest, peaceful little girl. Today we sat on the porch and listened to the rain. Now she is asleep beside her daddy, who is in love with her. She's a real blessing. Now I see why we get presents on our birthday - because our birthday was a present to our parents and those who love us :)

mamabear7 likes this.
#2 of 6 Old 03-29-2014, 09:59 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Beauiful birth story; thank you for sharing!

familybed1.gifbftoddler.gif homebirth.jpgcd.gif  kid.gif 
#3 of 6 Old 04-01-2014, 10:03 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Beautifully written! I have had two accidentally unassisted births and I count them both as blessings.

knit.gifMarried to my best friend, mama to two boys (12/5/07, 2/12/10) and a sweet little girl (5/2/13).

#4 of 6 Old 08-16-2014, 09:09 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
wonderful birth story!

Breezy married to my sweetie pie David With two beautiful children that love each other very much and a bun in the oven due Nov. 5th, 2014

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

-Benjamin Franklin

#5 of 6 Old 08-17-2014, 08:55 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Wow! what a wonderful story! eyes are wet;-)
#6 of 6 Old 09-16-2014, 07:25 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
What a lovely, peaceful way to be born. You are all blessed by such a loving experience. Loved reading your story!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page